Take a guess...

MG0h3

Established Member
So all of the sudden my boost gauge is showing 22psi instead of 19/20.

Pulls the same and sounds the same.

Car fell on its face last night at @5500.

Put fresh E85 in this am (car say 3 months)

Pulling hard now and WB showing 11.75 or so WOT.

Noticed a slight coolant smell. Noticed gasket bulged out at IC res and hissing sound so it’s pressurized.

Got a CEL right before I got home. IAT2 LOW.

Haven’t dug into it yet but thinking IC cracked or Oring popped and I’m pressuring the IC system and some coolant leaked onto the sensor giving a low number.

No idea about the boost gauge....

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Melted/plugged cats can cause your boost to go up.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Just to confirm, this difference in boost has occurred in El Paso, which is about 3700’ above sea level? Just wanted to make sure you didn’t take a trip down closer to sea level and then wonder why your boost is higher.

MG0h3

Established Member
Nah nothing changed. Car was parked three months

Jumped the ic pump and it works.

Gonna mess with it a little later. Have an aero force to install so I can monitor the iat.

Odd that the cel is for low IAT. Unless it nuked the sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

MG0h3

Established Member
Ok finally starting to dig into this.

IC res. is empty. No sign of leaks, but I'm concerned about a hydraulic situation if I fill the res. to test. Car never skipped a beat other than it just falling on it's face like all the timing got pulled.
All the threads Ive read about cracked IC have stumbling, running rough, tons of smoke etc. Haven't had any of that. Oil level is spot on.

No way to get a pressure tester on the aftermarket res. either.

Any tips or experience with a situation like this? I just can't believe a gallon of fluid has disappeared yet I have ZERO residue on the back bumper which you almost always get when coolant is going out the tail pipes.

bigmoose

Established Member
The leak could be in your hoses or heat exchanger. The stumbling could easily just be the lack of coolant. As far as I know, most stories of cracked intercoolers involved freezing up.

You could probably fill it to check for leaks and put a vacuum on the PCV hose that goes under the lower intake. If your intercooler is leaking you'll be pulling it out of that hose.

MG0h3

Established Member
The leak could be in your hoses or heat exchanger. The stumbling could easily just be the lack of coolant. As far as I know, most stories of cracked intercoolers involved freezing up.

You could probably fill it to check for leaks and put a vacuum on the PCV hose that goes under the lower intake. If your intercooler is leaking you'll be pulling it out of that hose.

Really? I've never had to dig into the engine on one of these. How is the pcv hose tied into the intercooler? Or just because there will be a puddle in the valley?

I'm almost starting to think the valley is full of coolant. I had a increase in boost that occurred at the same time....less volume in the valley due to coolant so the pressure is higher. Then I got an IAT2 LOW code...maybe raw coolant hit it?

Gonna check some vacuum lines on the back of blower and or maybe pull the IAT2 and see if I can look down into the valley.

bigmoose

Established Member
Yeah, there is a PCV hose through the valley to the lower intake under the intercooler. If the lower intake has coolant in it you can siphon it out of that hose.

Some oil in there is normal from the PCV system as well.

MG0h3

Established Member
Yeah, there is a PCV hose through the valley to the lower intake under the intercooler. If the lower intake has coolant in it you can siphon it out of that hose.

Some oil in there is normal from the PCV system as well.

RGR. Spotted what I believe is the hose. Big sucker that hits a T below the EGR valve. Gonna have to buy a new mity vac. Mine had shit the bed last time I tried to use it.

MG0h3

Established Member
Appreciate the help. Almost looking forward to pulling the blower since I never have.

Seen a few threads about those orings so maybe it was just a slow leak and I never saw a huge plume of smoke or ran rough.

bigmoose

Established Member
If you think it's the orings you don't need to pull the blower to change them. Just unbolt the lower intake and tilt the snout up to remove the intercooler adapter

MG0h3

Established Member
If you think it's the orings you don't need to pull the blower to change them. Just unbolt the lower intake and tilt the snout up to remove the intercooler adapter

Isn't there a risk of damaging the intake gasket doing that?

Just filled it and ran it and no leaks visible.

There is no way this was a freezing issue; that's typically the culprit? Just old age won't do it?

cj428mach

Established Member
I'd just pull the blower and look around, you don't loose that much coolant and not know about it unless its an internal leak.

Look in SVT Troys build thread he shows how he pressure tested his intercooler setup.

Users who are viewing this thread