Take may car to the shop and now it has a bad fan?

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
Just had my engine replaced at the shop.

Now I get a phone call telling me that while they were burping the cooling system, that the fan no longer works?

arrghh!

I have heard of these fans going bad at various mileages. Perhaps after sitting with a bad engine, the fan locked up?

anyone know how much these fans run for? I am waiting for a call back.

what is a reasonable price for them to install? the car is 30 mins from me.

Last edited:

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
They take 30-60 mins to install. I can't remember the price for the motorcraft fan but I recommend going with a stock unit.

qwicksnake

Established Member
I just put a Dorman fan in my car last week. It seems to be working fine and its a lot cheaper than a Motorcraft. It was 90 and the Motorcraft was 200. Mine broke right at 18000 miles

big dad

Established Member
I just put a Dorman fan in my car last week. It seems to be working fine and its a lot cheaper than a Motorcraft. It was 90 and the Motorcraft was 200. Mine broke right at 18000 miles

Just curious to know if your fan blade cracked or the motor quit working? You have to get the whole thing from Ford, I have never had to use an aftermarket one.
My blade cracked, and sounded just like a cracked or scuffed piston at idle with AC on. It was a major ass puckering moment at the time, before I figured it out.

SJ SNAKE

Venomous
Established Member
What shop did you take it to? My two sons now live there in Orange County (Laguna Hills)and either I or they do the work on their cars because we can't find anybody there that doesn't suck. Typically, we found everybody there to be a bunch of a..holes and they think they are some kind of god but they are dumber than a stump. Not all that different from most of the shops here in Phoenix. Maybe we missed the only good shop in OC?

As far as the fan goes I buy almost all of my parts from Tousley Ford in Minneapolis. They sell them for cost +10% on their web site and, if you need to talk to someone, they know what they are doing and a lot about the Cobra and other performance Fords. I try to stay away from all aftermarket replacement parts because they just don't seem to be as good as the Ford parts.

Hmmm probably Greg @ RET (Racer's Edge Tuning).. It's the most known in the So-Cal area

qwicksnake

Established Member
The blade broke on mine. But I didn't know it until the car started to overheat. The fuse also blew.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Too bad you don't more time because you could get the fan at a discount through Tousley Ford. If it were my car I'd definitely go with the stock Motorcraft fan.

SPEEDRACER88

I didn't pick your car
Established Member
The Fan motor went and caused the fan to hit/rub the outer plastic mounting piece. Has anyone had any issues down the road from getting the engine hot?

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
Hey guys,

Thought I'd update this post since I have my car and thought a fan was recommended for me to buy, I called my father who is a mechanic to ask about this and he recommended to replace the relay switch. I called the shop and they had gone a head and done that.

I was getting pretty worried, but they did the right thing. It is one of the first things you are supposed to check for something like that.

They replaced the relay and it works great.

I do agree that when it comes time to replace the fan, I will probably stick with Ford. I had the original alt go bad and went to Ford for the new one, which has been awesome. You pay more, but you are also getting a part that has a good amount of R&D.

Users who are viewing this thread