Talk me out of an Evo X MR

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Car looks like this except it has the rear spoiler. Same color:
38148560004_large.jpg

I currently drive a 2010 Audi A4 quattro with a manual trans. Honestly, I'm in traffic a lot more now. Having the auto of the evo would be nice and it's a dual clutch trans with paddle shifters so its still a blast.

It meets my requirements of four doors, AWD, navigation, mod-ability, and leather.

My insurance would go up $50 a month and my car payment might go up $20 tops.

This would allow me to get back into drag racing and perhaps get my first day in on a road course.

So why in your opinion should I not get it? Any mechanical issues you guys know about?

Asylum938

Established Member
Your going to hate the interior quality of the evo coming from the Audi but performance wise you can't go wrong

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Your going to hate the interior quality of the evo coming from the Audi but performance wise you can't go wrong

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

I figured the quality might be lacking, but mine isn't optioned how I really want. It doesn't have nav or bluetooth.

xenodragon

Established Member
From what I heard the auto in the MR isnt very mod friendly. Also my friend has a GSR and just spent 4k to get to 375awhp...kinda pricey if you ask me...these motors are pretty much tapped out and not as bullet proof as the previous versions.

Read

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-general/329589-evo-x-mr-hp-tuning-limitations.html

and

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-general/582371-evo-x-mr-vs-evo-x-gsr.html

GSR -
Pros
--the 5MT will take more toque than the SST
--Use of a clutch /cheer
--Less weight
--Lower price for the car

Cons
--5th gear ratio is annoying if you commute at 75-80mph. It's like 3800revs
--Manual Trans in traffic ( I like it, so it's all up to you on how you feel about that)
--My shifter cables rattle while cruising...it's annoying

MR
Pros
--Shifts faster than any human can.
--More family friendly if you share your car with a spouse?
--convenience

Cons
--If something breaks the cost is INSANE
--Limited on the power you can make (the going accepted point is like 350-360tq)
--Base price on the car is higher
--Might want to upgrade your trans cooler (maybe maybe not, all depends on how you drive)

Moot Points, these are all opinion like most of this is, but this is stuff you get with the MR that is simply not available with any package on the GSR

--2pc rotors
--automatic windshield wipers
--color matched exterior trim and chrome accents
--BBS wheels
--heated side mirrors

Stuff available on the GSR that used to only be on the MR but will cost more in packages
--Sun and Leather (heated seats, but top grain leather, not suede like the MR, IMO top grain is better)
--SSS now includes the sound deadening like the MR had

Last edited:

cornholio

Established Member
There is another thread on here asking what beer you are drinking.... I am on that one too (pretty good / used the one with the two o's), so forgive my incorrect choice of "sense."

But the thread was titled "talk me out of...." So I tried... I still can't believe you thought I was serious.

PS... I read this one three times before posting. Hope I got an "A"

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
There is another thread on here asking what beer you are drinking.... I am on that one too (pretty good / used the one with the two o's), so forgive my incorrect choice of "sense."

But the thread was titled "talk me out of...." So I tried... I still can't believe you thought I was serious.

PS... I read this one three times before posting. Hope I got an "A"

You did very good. I'd call you a noob, but you've been here longer than me, so I'll call you pseudo-noob. :D

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
It can be whatever you want sweetheart.

OP, go for the Evo. I can't think of any reason to avoid it, other than the Evo IX, but you want the auto/paddle shift tranny that they don't have.

Ass Eyes

Helter Skelter
Established Member
I enjoyed my modded VIII though I haven't kept up with how mod-able the Xs are. The trans sounds perfect for you and you obviously like AWD. I can't think of a better rig for your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread