Talk To Me About FI, Single vs. Twin vs Centi vs TVS

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I've been doing a lot of reading about different set ups and every time I get close to doing something I get scared away for some odd reason or another.

The car: 2014 GT Vert Automatic with 39k miles. It is a Sunday driver/4th car that the wife and I use for road trips. It is critical that the car remain reliable and drivability be as close to stock as possible. So no stall convertors, E85, A/C delete, etc.
I want to be able to drive the car from PA to the Florida Keys to Arizona, then to Canada and back to PA without issue.

Q: Can I load different tunes to accommodate the above. For example when I am messing around locally and can be assured the quality of fuel or want to go to the track, can I load a "race" tune and for the road trip or two I do each year can I load a safe 91 octane tune?

Goals: I would like to be in the 600 rwhp range without affecting the reliability too much. Meaning I want want to put a system on and not have to buy an Aluminator within 5000 miles.
Q: What kind of maintenance do you do with forced induction, 1000 mile oil changes, etc?

Which brings me to something else. I want the system to be expandable. Just in case I want/have to put another motor in I can really crank it up.

I would also like to be able to install the kit myself and if need be drive to the tuner to optimize the tune.

Supporting mods. I see some people say upgrade the oil pump, fuel pump, intake manifolds. Is this necessary for my goals or just smart to do?

Q: Do I need additional bracing since it is convertible?

Turbo's: Single vs twins. What is the advantages/disadvantages, is it power levels, powerbands, price, packaging, etc? JPC vs Hellion vs ?? for singles. Twins, Hellion vs On3 vs ?? (Why the big price difference?)

TVS Roush vs VMP vs ??. The VMP seems to be advertised with a lot more power for about the same money. Is it just in the tuning? Is one made better or more easily installed or expanded upon?

Centrifugal: I remember these on my friends 5.0's breaking T-5's and throwing belts. What is the selling point of these besides price? How are these to install and live with?

Q: What are some of the differences in power delivery, installation, Price all in, necessary/prudent supporting mods, etc?

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
for reliability don't **** with turbo. go with SC- VMP, procharger, vortech, etc

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
The more I read the more I think the turbo is not for me.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm kinda in the same boat. Trying to decide whether I want a Hellion single turbo kit, or a Vortech/Procharger.
It's a few more $$$$, but I'm leaning toward the Hellion kit with a 67mm Precision Turbo. Seems as though it would be more fun for the street. Especially down lower in the RPMs.
Looking to make around 500 at the wheels. I have a built short block with 10:1, so I'm thinking 10# of boost should get me there comfortably with the 67mm, without overstressing anything.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Since you mentioned no stall, I would go with PD car.. and I'm a big fan of Centri cars.

15PSI

Established Member
I have a 2012 Mustang GT (31K miles) with a Stage 3 VMP kit, ID1000s, Twin 67 TB, 79mm Pulley, (about the max for a stock 2012 bottom end) Tremec, RXT, LTs etc . Car gets good MPG, dynoed at 640 RWHP, drives like stock, until you go WOT. PD blowers have great torque down low, Centris have a powerband more reminiscent of turbos. PDs are great for the street, but I like Centrifugal blowers as well. You might want to call Justin at VMP and see if he can swing you a better deal than one of his resellers.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
A VMP TVS for sure. I'm on my 5th year with it and it's been an absolute pleasure. It has given me no headaches or issues.

The car is so responsive with the stock converter and around 600 rwhp. So much fun! Even more so now with over 800.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
A VMP TVS for sure. I'm on my 5th year with it and it's been an absolute pleasure. It has given me no headaches or issues.

The car is so responsive with the stock converter and around 600 rwhp. So much fun! Even more so now with over 800.
Question, so you were running 10.50's with just a 82 mm pulley and 93 octane tune? Also I see your are running an Aluminator. Is that because you found the limits of the stock engine, and if so what was it?

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
To the first question, yes, plus a can of Torco Accelerator and cat deletes.

I upgraded to the Aluminator because I wanted to push things past the 650 rwhp range and didn't want to worry about hurting something.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

derricksmustang

Established Member
All the money I have in options on my paxton I wish I had a turbo set up from JPC their numbers dont lie and after all is said and done you have close to the same in to each with all upgrades to the blower setup. Although im sure once my car is back going it will be fun and run good but if the money were spent on a turbo more efficiency and speed would be had.

You running E85 with a centrifugal blower will really help you down low but you will need to run low boost or a fuel system and a tuner that will work with you. Hope you find what your looking for always keep your eyes on the market...GET what appeals to you and find a tuner that you like goog luck!

03SVT Ski

Established Member
I opted for the Centri option after alot of back and forth. I am in the process of a F1-A install. For now I will be utilizing the factory A2W with plans for a A2A upgrade with a 01' Cobra intake with I already have from a Turbo kit. I will be running E85 with twin 465 pumps and a full return style Fore fuel system, ID1000's injectors. Car has ARH LT's with full 3" to back. I wanted something different then a PD blower and didnt want the headaches of a Turbo. I have been in a F1-A Cobra and its a wild ride when boost kicks in. I am looking to make around 750rwhp with around 25-27psi of boost. I know the Procharger intake is gonna hold back some power.

pep fab

Established Member
I'm kinda in the same boat. Trying to decide whether I want a Hellion single turbo kit, or a Vortech/Procharger.
It's a few more $$$$, but I'm leaning toward the Hellion kit with a 67mm Precision Turbo. Seems as though it would be more fun for the street. Especially down lower in the RPMs.
Looking to make around 500 at the wheels. I have a built short block with 10:1, so I'm thinking 10# of boost should get me there comfortably with the 67mm, without overstressing anything.

DONT DO IT!

had one of those kit and they are real thurd. turbo is way off on turbine side, single t4 simply dont cut it for a coyote. engine is so chocked-up by this turbo that it has a hard time revving up to 6000 rpm... piping is shitty at best, fitment is a nigthmare, you end up with piping hanging way too low and hitting the subframe... i would buy on3 product wayyyy before buying another hellion kit.

Zemedici

Established Member
I opted for the Centri option after alot of back and forth. I am in the process of a F1-A install. For now I will be utilizing the factory A2W with plans for a A2A upgrade with a 01' Cobra intake with I already have from a Turbo kit. I will be running E85 with twin 465 pumps and a full return style Fore fuel system, ID1000's injectors. Car has ARH LT's with full 3" to back. I wanted something different then a PD blower and didnt want the headaches of a Turbo. I have been in a F1-A Cobra and its a wild ride when boost kicks in. I am looking to make around 750rwhp with around 25-27psi of boost. I know the Procharger intake is gonna hold back some power.

wow that sounds sick, going to make a build thread?

Recon

Established Member
VMP is an excellent choice. If it was my car I'd wait until Justin releases the 2.65L TVS.

Users who are viewing this thread