Tap/knocking Noise PLEASE HELP????

Dadarkside

Quicksilver
Established Member
Ok fellas I need some help. My car is making a tapping noise. I can tell you what it is not Its not the motor or the supercharger. Each pulley was checked first with a stethoscope and pin pointed one of the idler pulleys. It was checked when the belt was off no issues. Now to the idler pulleys they were checked and switch and still when put back on same tapping sound. Now what I can tell you is that when the idler tension was moved while the belt was on the noise stopped. Here is the video I made of the car making that noise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3g0K6slxcI

Torrance

Shenanigans!
Established Member
My tensioner was making a knocking noise a while back and I put a new bearing on it and blew all the gunk out of the spring and the noise went away. Before I put it back on, I shot it full of PB Blaster and blew that out too.

Dadarkside

Quicksilver
Established Member
My tensioner was making a knocking noise a while back and I put a new bearing on it and blew all the gunk out of the spring and the noise went away. Before I put it back on, I shot it full of PB Blaster and blew that out too.

Ok thats a good step to take. What is so freaking confusing is that the tapping/knocking noise is coming from one of the lower pulleys and not the tensioner.
:cryying::cryying::cryying:

Torrance

Shenanigans!
Established Member
Stock lower or aftermarket?
I've read about stock lowers separating and personally seen the aftermarket lowers get loose and fly off. (Cinch1985)

willis414

Established Member
I had a bad tensioner make that exact noise. When you look at the tensioner dose it move (bounce) the same time you hear the click/ tap.

willis414

Established Member
Yes, It's the belt tensioner the part you loosen to get the blower belt on. Check the actual tensioner not the pulley.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Is the tab on the tensioner in the middle of the slot? If the belt is too big it could be chattering on the stop on the tensioner.

Dadarkside

Quicksilver
Established Member
If it had not been making that noise since i had it could it be that the its time for a new belt? Also when the car was checked and the belt tensioner was moved the noise stopped when put back in its place it made the noise again.

Dadarkside

Quicksilver
Established Member
I had a bad tensioner make that exact noise. When you look at the tensioner dose it move (bounce) the same time you hear the click/ tap.
Also when the car was checked and the belt tensioner was moved the noise stopped when put back in its place it made the noise again.

Users who are viewing this thread