Tarnished aluminum wheels

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
Hey folks, this is my first time posting here in this forum, I've read a lot over the years and it makes my head spin (it's either the reading or the chemicals).

A buddy gave me a set of Weld Draglites that had been sitting in a shed for 4 years. 0 shine, all dull grey aluminum tarnish.

I hit them with NeverDull at least 5 times, the batting gets completely grey, but I'm not noticing a difference. I mentioned to the guy using 2000 grit sandpaper, but he suggested the following procedure:

rubbing compound.
polishing compound.
mothers mag/alum polish.
+felt wheel on a drill.

I tried using the rubbing compound by hand, and again, after rubbing the hell out of it, I'm left with a grey cloth, and no visible progress.

Any tips? I know, pictures would be good, but the lighting is horrible in the garage.

-ElGato

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
So will what I have work? Will it work but just take a long time? Or will it not work at all?
the wheels work whether they're shiny or not, I'm just looking for a winter project that doesn't involve fire.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
It will work ok but why not really get what you need and do it right.

See this is what I'm trying to understand:

when you say "do it right" do you mean that 'right' is faster/easier? Or do you mean that all the time I'm spending by hand is somehow not making the wheels as shiny or possibly hurting them?

I don't mind the elbow grease, I once spent 70 hours sanding a piece of wood that no one ever saw or came into contact with.

I appreciate everyone's advice. I just feel like that buying one more product that I'm only going to use once isn't worth the saved time. (with that in print it pretty much guarantees I'm opening a dirty wheel restoration shop!)

03SonicStang

Established Member

Just ordered some for my CCW Classis; I swear I've spent hundreds trying to find the right product to keep them perfect! I love the rims but what a PITA!!

Also for giggles I ordered the Stainless Steel (coarse) buffing compond and Custom Blend Show Quality Polish. Hey if truckers like this stuff it must be a good metal polish

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Last edited:

03SonicStang

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread