Tear Down Has Begun! Hellion TT Install!

Snakenhorse

new svt poster
Established Member
oh that's it... now I'm going to have to just do this lol you got me sold lol

I will be going that route but will have the exhaust setup a little different than Slagburn had on his initial test phase. I am amazed at the 60 HP diference @ 5.5psi by only finishing the exhaust after the ORX instead of the long and heavy over the axle back back journey. Man, that kills these cars in my opinion...
If your looking for MAXIMUM horsepower/torque and violent spool up on a turbo car you want the exhaust to be as short and free flowing as possible. The ideal exhaust for a turbo car is the one that ends right after the turbos with NO X or H pipe. You don't need those for turbos. That is NA, mostly to scavange the gases and to equalize things. Just look at the turbo guys at the track and after their turbos there is only a piece of pipe for maximum gains.
That is how I am going to run the exhaust on my hellion set up with the exception of two small straigh thru mufflers after the turbos and one pipe under the driver's door and the other under the passenger's side door. You don't need to X anything for turbos so I will put my ORX up for sale.

My only concern is the fuel line being too close to the exhaust but Will buy good insulation and keep the pipe at a safe distance from those.
Rear bumper is another thing that will need to be changed and I am up for ideas on this one...

The huge HP gains and massive weight savings more than justify doing these mods with the hellion twin turbo kit IMO. Not doing that after I pick up the car but will sure change that at some point.
Call me crazy but, depending on the boost level your running with that kit I believe the gains would be around 100HP over with what I just described compared to a regular X/ H and catback system for the GT's.

Last edited:

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
John knows his stuff but he'll tell ya you won't need em. BBR (who has done more installs than anyone else) will tell ya you should flow them. Really depends on what year your car is. Havnt really seen any 11-12's needing the restricters.

Pretty much yes.

Bingo 100% correct. If you happen to have a loose coyote from the factory you might not need restricters.

Historically you are correct but as mentioned by signalzero you might need them (if 2013). As far as warranty is concerned, your warranty on your turbos is through hellion, not through Precision. If you need any turbo warranty work it has th go through Hellion. So running the restricters won't void it. Just don't call/tell precision about it. Take your turbo warranty needs to Hellion and let them deal with any hassles.

IMO on all this, if your a 13, put the kit on. If it smokes then your gonna need restricters. If not leave alone. Restricters are also going to be specific to your climate. If your always in cold then restrict less and vise versa. I'm in hot as hell Vegas and had to go to 35pills. 42 was still too much oil. I have now flowed my turbos 3 different times and have found that 12oz/30 seconds is the magic number.

Hellion doesn't eat the cost of the turbos if there is a failure. The warrant IS through precision because they warranty their turbos for one year when bought new. I know this because I'm a precision distributor as well, hence why I got my turbos myself and not through Hellion. If precision denies your warranty, I doubt Hellion will eat it.

StevenStarke

Established Member

I will be going that route but will have the exhaust setup a little different than Slagburn had on his initial test phase. I am amazed at the 60 HP diference @ 5.5psi by only finishing the exhaust after the ORX instead of the long and heavy over the axle back back journey. Man, that kills these cars in my opinion...
If your looking for MAXIMUM horsepower/torque and violent spool up on a turbo car you want the exhaust to be as short and free flowing as possible. The ideal exhaust for a turbo car is the one that ends right after the turbos with NO X or H pipe. You don't need those for turbos. That is NA, mostly to scavange the gases and to equalize things. Just look at the turbo guys at the track and after their turbos there is only a piece of pipe for maximum gains.
That is how I am going to run the exhaust on my hellion set up with the exception of two small straigh thru mufflers after the turbos and one pipe under the driver's door and the other under the passenger's side door. You don't need to X anything for turbos so I will put my ORX up for sale.

My only concern is the fuel line being too close to the exhaust but Will buy good insulation and keep the pipe at a safe distance from those.
Rear bumper is another thing that will need to be changed and I am up for ideas on this one...

The huge HP gains and massive weight savings more than justify doing these mods with the hellion twin turbo kit IMO. Not doing that after I pick up the car but will sure change that at some point.
Call me crazy but, depending on the boost level your running with that kit I believe the gains would be around 100HP over with what I just described compared to a regular X/ H and catback system for the GT's.

I'm going to run a full 3" X pipe (after I cut the neck downs off), and then modify the stock OTA pipes by removing the resonators and then run muffler deletes. I think at 600whp that should be enough to not have any issues with back pressure robbing power.

I wish there was room to just externally dump the wastegates honestly, that would help alleviate some of the need for such a free flowing exhaust.

StevenStarke

Established Member
could you by any chance post up some pics of the fuse box from above, how it's mounted and how that intercooler pipe routes? I'm having a tough time in that corner. Hellion's pics suck, lol.

CSG

Established Member
That area did suck to figure out. Mine could not use the Hellion bracket or the coldside would not route.

StevenStarke

Established Member
That area did suck to figure out. Mine could not use the Hellion bracket or the coldside would not route.

I don't even get how the pipe is going to fit along with the harness going through that hole.

D.T.R

Established Member

oh i totally believe you... and I will run open mid pipe since day 1. I hope i like the sound.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Mine worked just fine. :shrug:

could you by any chance post up some pics of the fuse box from above, how it's mounted and how that intercooler pipe routes? I'm having a tough time in that corner. Hellion's pics suck, lol.
Here you go. You have to connect the hose "first", then run it through the hole. Then hook up the intercooler tubing from the bottom.

9293017327_c5c480efd1_o.jpg

9293017351_9305fe7d46_o.jpg

svt04cobra1

Established Member
I'm thinking of running open mid pipe lol... (seriously)
Turbo cars are super quiet anyways... so i doubt it'd get that loud without over-the-axle & axle-back pipes

I have an open X pipe with just a resonator on each pipe. The exhaust ends just behind the gas tank. The turbos keep it pretty quiet. In 6th gear (auto) just cruising slow it does have a little drone. I just back off the gas pedal a tiny bit and the drone goes away. Its pretty cool because you can hear the turbo's spool pretty loudly. Even if you just sit and rev the engine you can hear the turbos pretty well. :beer: Depending on your exhaust with twins, you can loose anywhere from 50-100hp by being corked up!!!!!:thumbsup:

StevenStarke

Established Member
SVT, take a vid from outside the car!!

04 SLEEPER, which bracket is for the fuse box? And where does it bolt to? Is it the 90 degree bracket?

svt04cobra1

Established Member
SVT, take a vid from outside the car!!

04 SLEEPER, which bracket is for the fuse box? And where does it bolt to? Is it the 90 degree bracket?

Here you go. The first video all you can mostly hear is my fuel pump in the middle of the car and air pump in the back of the car. In the 2nd video you can briefly see the exhaust and the air pump is off. Startup is in my garage and I open the windows just as I'm pulling out.
th_car1_zps0d092d51.jpg

th_car2_zpsdff5ccc3.jpg

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
I have an open X pipe with just a resonator on each pipe. The exhaust ends just behind the gas tank. The turbos keep it pretty quiet. In 6th gear (auto) just cruising slow it does have a little drone. I just back off the gas pedal a tiny bit and the drone goes away. Its pretty cool because you can hear the turbo's spool pretty loudly. Even if you just sit and rev the engine you can hear the turbos pretty well. :beer: Depending on your exhaust with twins, you can loose anywhere from 50-100hp by being corked up!!!!!:thumbsup:

Oh i don't care if i have to put up with a little bit of drone... as long as I hear that turbo noise, it's the best music to my ears lol.
I'm definitely going to run open Lethal O/R H mid pipe :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread