Tech car cooler install

Established Member
Finally got a roundtuit and installed the cooler kit from Levittown and I wanted to share pics and plug Dominion and Total Proformance, LLC for fabrication and overall expertise. The Levittown kit assumes a transmission swap is done and supplies all the HW minus the transmission with one important exception, for some reason the duct that directs the air to the cooler is needed but not included, so that was ordered that separately.

The biggest challenges are finding and mounting the electric pump and modifying the plumbing for the pump and trans connections.

Here are a few images:

1. Cooler. If you look close on the left side under the water reservoir you will see the 8AN adapters and how we utilized the factory hoses:

cooler.JPG

2. Pump. This is mounted vertically to the rear of the crush assembly, looks factory:

Pump.JPG

3. Trans connections:

Trans connects.JPG

Since we had to fabricate the pump mount, figure out the AN fittings and best way to plumb, and build the electrical switch relay circuit and fuse, it took us 2.5 days and buying a few extra items. You don't need to remove the exhaust, driveshaft, or transmission either, so the Levittown cooler kit has a lot of unnecessary parts.

For anyone interested in doing this, Total Proformance is interested in providing a comprehensive kit which contains all the proper parts with the hose connections installed on the tubes and including the pump, bracket, electronics, and instruction, significantly reducing the complexity and I think it can be done in a day with no unnecessary parts bought. They are located in Houston and can do the install too.

Being an affected owner who has invested a lot of time and money into cooling my transmission... remember I tried the ford performance cooling scoop and modified the 500.00 belly pan first, which didn't work, then tried adding heat shields to the cats with Red Line fluids, strike two, and now had to help fabricate a proper solution... well it's my belief Ford's documentation of 'adding a cooler' tucked in the owners manual addendum and with no real options is insufficient. I do think they have some culpability and they should make the Total Proformance kit or something like it available, if not installed.

Last edited:

Established Member
Thanks for sharing. Did you run a temperature switch or a manual one for the pump?

I used a manual switch, mounted it in the console. We are considering other options as enhancements and this pump is loud enough that I will probably only run it at the track or if I'm corner carving at high RPM's.

Last edited:

Deadheadsticker

Established Member
I used a manual switch, mounted it in the console. We are considering other options as enhancements and this pump is loud enough that I will probably only run it at the track or if I'm corner carving at high RPM's.

This is a great write up. You stated this is for someone who has swapped to the transmission with the built in pump, if that is the case, then this will not help us that have not swapped trannies. Can any of this information be used to plumb into a stock, non integral pump tranny; I;., 2016 GT350 Tech pack?

I don't want to fork out dinero for a new tranny.

Established Member
My car is a 2016 tech pack without the transmission pump, so I think it is exactly what you need.

The cooler kit from Levittown is their parts collection and it is intended to be used with a transmission swap (internal pump) so we bought that kit (minus trans) and modified it to work with the external electric pump since I did not want to buy the transmission either... So the beginning kit contained many single use nuts and bolts and instructions assuming you are replacing the transmission.

Now Total Proformance has a complete kit that includes everything needed to add the cooler with the external pump like pictured here. They eliminated what was unused/unneeded and added the proper fittings, hoses, and brackets, etc. I think we did (they can help) with what you describe.

Guy to talk to is:

Scott Cox
Total Proformance, LLC
"Dream, Build, Drive"
832-552-6026

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

Deadheadsticker

Established Member
My car is a 2016 tech pack without the transmission pump, so I think it is exactly what you need.

The cooler kit from Levittown is their parts collection and it is intended to be used with a transmission swap (internal pump) so we bought that kit (minus trans) and modified it to work with the external electric pump since I did not want to buy the transmission either... So the beginning kit contained many single use nuts and bolts and instructions assuming you are replacing the transmission.

Now Total Proformance has a complete kit that includes everything needed to add the cooler with the external pump like pictured here. They eliminated what was unused/unneeded and added the proper fittings, hoses, and brackets, etc. I think we did (they can help) with what you describe.

Guy to talk to is:

Scott Cox
Total Proformance, LLC
"Dream, Build, Drive"
832-552-6026

Cheers,
Rick

Rick,

Thanks for the clarification. I misinterpreted what you stated when you mentioned the tranny with the pump...when it was actually a kit that was original designed for a tranny with cooler, but modified to support us Tech pack dudes and dudettes...that is excellent.

I like the idea of the kit being modified to reflect just the parts that are needed for the install.

How long did it take you to do the install? Can a someone with reasonable automobile DIY skills and a garage take this project on at home?

Thanks for the contact information. Very much appreciated. I will contact him and inquire about parts availability.

Ciao,

Nick

Established Member
It took us 2.5 days since we had to figure it out... It's actually pretty easy to install and should take 1-2 days with lift access, longer but not impossible without, so yes, DIY friendly.

Established Member
Yes, that is what I referred to as the Levittown kit, but it does not address the application well.

Scott at Total Proformance addresses this and designed a application specific solution for the base and tech cars.

Established Member
I just finished running the car at TWS this weekend and the cooler worked excellent.

It was 96F most of the day Saturday and I made a couple tweaks to ensure a good stress test:
- installed the R's MPSC2 tires, 305 up front and 315 in back for more stick
- added the S550 pedal spacers to help with heal toe...

Result was fast and consistent (for me) personal record with no thermal issues. Very happy with the car.

TWS.png

johnnyboy081990

Established Member
I just finished running the car at TWS this weekend and the cooler worked excellent.

It was 96F most of the day Saturday and I made a couple tweaks to ensure a good stress test:
- installed the R's MPSC2 tires, 305 up front and 315 in back for more stick
- added the S550 pedal spacers to help with heal toe...

Result was fast and consistent (for me) personal record with no thermal issues. Very happy with the car.

View attachment 95397

This is great information as I am considering a Tech pack 2016 GT350, the Track Pack cars have differential coolers along with the tranny cooler. While this kit addresses the Tranny cooling temps, have you found that your rear diff is getting excessively hot and is causing performance issues?

Established Member
Hey johnnyboy, the rear diff is not monitored for thermal protection... so it can't cause limp mode. Cooler always nice to have and running cooler extends the useful life of the diff. I figure heavy track use might be hard on it and at some point, if necessary, I'd have to be open to rebuild it. I would wager it won't come to that, but it's not a huge deal should it be a 10 year well tracked car needing a gear. So, I'll keep fresh fluid in it and drive :)

Rick

Last edited:

johnnyboy081990

Established Member
Hey johnnyboy, the rear diff is not monitored for thermal protection... so it can't cause limp mode. Cooler always nice to have and running cooler extends the useful life of the diff. I figure heavy track use might be hard on it and at some point, if necessary, I'd have to be open to rebuild it. I would wager it won't come to that, but it's not a huge deal should it be a 10 year well tracked car needing a gear. So, I'll keep fresh fluid in it and drive :)

Rick
Cool man I appreciate the feedback, I'm considering a 2016 tech pack if the 2018s don't bring the price of the 2017s down below MSRP, I don't mind installing the tranny cooler if it comes down to it. I will definitely reference this thread.

Deadheadsticker

Established Member

Guy to talk to is:

Scott Cox
Total Proformance, LLC
"Dream, Build, Drive"
832-552-6026

Cheers,
Rick
Hi
Reviving this thread. I cannot locate the company your referred to as Proformance LLC. Not one of my searches can locate them. I would like to chat with Scott to discuss the kit. Do you have any more information about Proformance. Are they still in business? Thanks.

ANGREY

Established Member
Guys,

I'm a bit confused. I thought all 3160's come with a front plate pump setup, the tech pack cars just got plugs instead of plumbing feed lines to a cooler.

I just purchased Magnum XL last year and paid an extra $1k to swap the front plate out for one with a pump. Apparently all the 6060's come with the pump outputs but the Magnums it's an add/on.

I guess what I'm saying is that shouldn't the 3160 already have hydraulic/mechanical pumping via the unit? Then there's no need for an external pump and no need for a switch/activation as the internal mechanical pump works according to trans rotation.

barstowpo

Established Member
Looking at my tech transmission, it looks like the pump bosses are cast in but not drilled. I assume the cooler passages are also not drilled.

Users who are viewing this thread