Teenager Car Insurance.

noco5.0

Established Member
My daughter just got her DL and we are in the process of buying her first car. I'm pretty shocked by the insurance premium increase from my current company. I know insuring teen drivers is expensive just curious if anyone is aware if there are any companies that are better than others. I currently have Safeco and have previously used Allstate and State Farm.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Be glad you don't have a son.

Your best bet is probably going to be checking around. I check occasionally, but have yet to find someone better than what I'm paying at USAA.

blownfox

Established Member
Be glad you don't have a son.

Your best bet is probably going to be checking around. I check occasionally, but have yet to find someone better than what I'm paying at USAA.
Do you like USAA? I was thinking about switching from State Farm to them.

jshen

Established Member
Get a quote from Progressive with "Snapchat". They monitor driving for six months..but was cheaper than others

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
My step daughter was put on my insurance (USAA and Farmers) when she first got her DL. A year later she was in a minor accident (her fault). Those companies wanted to raise my rates through the roof.

So, I bought her a beater car and have her and that car on her own policy. She cannot and will not drive my cars in order to keep my rates down.

I went with a local company called Fred Loya. She pays between $140 and $170 a month for liability only. Not too bad IMO for a young driver with an accident on their record.

Your location says CO. Fred Loya does serve CO.

All I can say is call around and get quotes until you find something you can live with. Insurance companies are a PITA when it comes to policy prices on new/young drivers.... Good luck...

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Could also look into occasional driver, don't know if it is available in all states but it saved my parents close to a $1,000 a year in teen insurance back in the early 90's. I was paying about $750 a year over regular insurance which would of been 1,595 a year.

It is basically drive for about 4,000 miles or less a year and only able to travel in said state from memory If I recall.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
you either need to call everyone yourself or find a good agent. Appetites for risk vary greatly from area to area even for the same carrier. A good agent may also be able to recommend either vehicles with lower rates for a young driver or vehicles to stay away from

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I had USAA for EVERYTHING back in the day. BEST company I have ever dealt with. Every time I had a claim or issue they handled it quickly and fairly with ZERO BS.

Problem is USAA has to service a lot of different areas due to being a service member oriented company. That means areas exposed to hurricanes, tornados and floods they have to cover. So, naturally they pass that cost on to their clients.

I called Famers a few years ago and they beat USAA's rates. So, I switched. Knock on wood I have not had an accident or any issues so I have never made a claim with Farmers.

I know you get what you pay for. Since I have not made any claims with Farmers I'm happy paying the lower rate and risking less quality service. If you're happy with the quote you get from USAA I say go for it. They are amazing.

I just cheeped out and went with a lower premium. ONLY reason I switched.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I don't have any complaints. I've filed a few claims with them and never had an issue. They're usually quick to respond and helpful. I had to use Geico earlier this year to get my Can Am fixed and it was like pulling teeth to get an update.

noco5.0

Established Member
If you are eligible for usaa there is no reason to ever have anything else
I got a quote from USAA they were quite a bit higher than my current carrier. If close I would have considered switching since people seem happy with their customer service.

beau t

Established Member
In Sc we had our daughter take driver training and it lowered the rates, you may see if your current provider offers anything to help get the rates down.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I got a quote from USAA they were quite a bit higher than my current carrier. If close I would have considered switching since people seem happy with their customer service.
Did you bundle it all (house and car?)

A very good friend has a house worth about 2.5-3 times what my house is worth, with a pool, and in a worse flood zone than me and pays less than half of what I pay for home insurance. Auto was comparable but still cheaper

noco5.0

Established Member
Did you bundle it all (house and car?)

A very good friend has a house worth about 2.5-3 times what my house is worth, with a pool, and in a worse flood zone than me and pays less than half of what I pay for home insurance. Auto was comparable but still cheaper
I did....the replacement cost they calculated for my house was ridiculous....920k lol I would guess 5-600k even with inflation. I think part of my problem is where I live we are near the top for auto thefts and hail so I'm sure all carriers are jacking up their rates here. Going to get a few more quotes and just bite the bullet.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Get a quote from Progressive with "Snapchat". They monitor driving for six months..but was cheaper than others

I've heard horror stories about that Snapchat shit. I definitely would not recommend it for a new driver.

Users who are viewing this thread