telephone noise in television

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
has anyone ever noticed when watching tv a quick sound like a telephone typing 4 numbers? i hadnt heard it for a long time, and now i hear it a lot on digital channels and hd channels (cox cable). i used to hear it on the higher channels when i was younger. just one of those random things i notice and it bugs me.

Don Juan

Established Member
The only thing I hear is the GSM buzz before a call comes in other than that I don't hear anything, :shrug:

ChrisRedGT

Established Member
Does it happen right before going to commercials or coming back?

If so, you probably live in a very rural area or have a provider that hasn't upgraded their equipment in a long time.

This used to happen all the time on the networks that sold local commericals. Like Weather Channel, ESPN, CNN etc. The tones are alerts to the switching gear in the local provider's equipment that they can insert their own local ads now, instead of showing what the network sold.

You may also see a delay where for a second or less another ad starts, then it changes to something local.

Chris

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
Does it happen right before going to commercials or coming back?

If so, you probably live in a very rural area or have a provider that hasn't upgraded their equipment in a long time.

This used to happen all the time on the networks that sold local commericals. Like Weather Channel, ESPN, CNN etc. The tones are alerts to the switching gear in the local provider's equipment that they can insert their own local ads now, instead of showing what the network sold.

You may also see a delay where for a second or less another ad starts, then it changes to something local.

Chris

that could be it. its not rural at all, but its not a huge city. its santa barbara / goleta. ive noticed it on the national geographic channel, bbc america, discovery hd, etc. they claim to be constantly upgrading their equipment. they just laid new fibre optic lines in our neighbourhood.

Users who are viewing this thread