Tell me about Wifi Repeaters

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Need to expand the range of my wifi, more specifically to reach my man shed. I have a great Asus GT-AC2900 router than is 100x better than the one provided by the ISP. Still not enough to reach security cameras and other wifi items about 75 feet from the house.

I do not know anything about wifi repeaters or how that even works.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I ran CAT5 to a WAVLINK AC1200 outdoor router on the back of my house. Reaches about 250 yards.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The new standard is Cat 6. But im guessing unless your running fiber you are not fully benifiting from it.

quad

Established Member
can you run cat5 out of a router, into another router? Or would a simple repeater work better?
Yes you can run CAT5/6 out of a router into another router.

An extender will reduce your bandwidth. If you run a ca5/6/7 from the main router to another route you set the second router into Access Point mode. Then you can have that second router either broadcast the same WIFI as the main router or another WIFI SSID for both 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ. To keep things simple I just have the same WIFI setting on all my routers. You can have as many WIFI access points as you like by just adding more wired routers to the mix and setting them to Access Point mode. You can also do a WIFI extender if you don't or can't run cable to your remote location or if you don't care about reduced bandwidth. With a mobile phone you might not even notice the difference. I just like to have the max bandwidth everywhere.

Last edited:

robvas

Established Member
If you're going to run wire out to a barn or something, use fiber and not copper wire. Lightning can hit it and **** all your shit up on both sides.

quad

Established Member
The new standard is Cat 6. But im guessing unless your running fiber you are not fully benifiting from it.
There's also a CAT 7 and now 8 standard. But those work over shorter distances. I bought a 1000' spool of CAT6 cable years ago but did not pay attention to the wire thickness and it's a 26 AWG brand. It would be better to go with thicker 23 or even 21 AWG. But the 26 AWG works fine and I was even able to terminate them into CAT6 ether jacks that are labelled for 23 AWG only. I had to get a proper pushdown tool though. The plastic one I had did not apply enough force and not all 8 wires tested successfully when I hooked up a testing unit. After I pushed the wires down with the proper tool it tested 100% for all 8 wires.

Cat6 Cabling: What is the BIG DEAL about AWG (American Wire Gauge)?

quad

Established Member
If you're going to run wire out to a barn or something, use fiber and not copper wire. Lightning can hit it and **** all your shit up on both sides.
What if it is in conduit underground?

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Just remember, that max length for CAT 5 & 6 is 328 feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quad

Established Member
Thanks that's interesting. I have Ethernet in conduit 18" underground running from the house to detached garage. I could however pull out the wire and replace with fiber optic if needed. Fortunately we have not had any lightning issues the past 21 years here in Michigan. When I lived in Johannesburg, South Africa we routinely lost modems and motherboards to thunder strikes. That area has some severe lightning storms and known as one of the lightning capitals of the world. I was always pissed off when we heard thunder because I had to shutoff and unplug all the computer equipment. Here I don't unplug anything.

robvas

Established Member
Thanks that's interesting. I have Ethernet in conduit 18" underground running from the house to detached garage. I could however pull out the wire and replace with fiber optic if needed. Fortunately we have not had any lightning issues the past 21 years here in Michigan. When I lived in Johannesburg, South Africa we routinely lost modems and motherboards to thunder strikes. That area has some severe lightning storms and known as one of the lightning capitals of the world. I was always pissed off when we heard thunder because I had to shutoff and unplug all the computer equipment. Here I don't unplug anything.
I'm in Michigan too. Put an entire network in for a client once and within a month their building got hit. Fried all the new wire in the walls and everything else. Had to redo the whole job

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
My wife got our wireless signal over to my detached garage/apartment that is 150 ft away. She got two Ubiquiti NSM5 2 Nanostation M5 (M2 would be smaller in size). Essentially, one is sending the signal to the other and the receiving one connects to a cheaper wireless router in the garage apartment. Works great.

Nanner

Established Member
Premium Member
I run Asus AiMesh system on 2 RT-AX82U's

One upstairs in my office the other next to the TV (wifi youtube tv fed) and other wifi items.

Works beautifully! I get 400 down all over the house.

quad

Established Member
I'm in Michigan too. Put an entire network in for a client once and within a month their building got hit. Fried all the new wire in the walls and everything else. Had to redo the whole job
Wow that's good to know. Guess we've just been lucky.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
The Ubiquiti wireless bridges are really nice and really simple. We’ve used them a dozen times for the same situation you’re trying to solve. You’ll just need a PoE injector or switch and a WAP on the far end to have WiFi broadcasted there

Users who are viewing this thread