• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Tensioner Options Stock Blower 2.6 Pulley

Discussion in 'SVT Shelby GT500' started by ShelbyGT5HUN, Jul 17, 2018.

1. ShelbyGT5HUN

ShelbyGT5HUN Well-Known Member Established Member

Looking to replace my 8 year old belt and tensioner. Stock blower, 2.6 pulley. Should I just buy a new Ford piece, or is there a stronger one, that I might benefit from? Car is a 2010.

Thanks!

2. Catmonkey

Catmonkey I Void Warranties! Premium Member Established Member

I think the aftermarket versions probably have more tension, but they start at $400. You should be able to get a stock one on-line for around $140, probably more at your local dealer. I don't know that aftermarket is really necessary with the stock blower. Your money, your choice.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    ShelbyGT5HUN likes this.
  3. merkyworks

merkyworks Well-Known Member Established Member

If you had a 2.4 pulley maybe an aftermarket tensioner or if you planned on building up a 800-1000 whp setup an aftermarket tensioner would be good.

Stock blower with only a 2.6 I'd just get a Ford OEM from RockAuto and call it a day.

ShelbyGT5HUN and Zedeater like this.
  4. Zedeater

Zedeater Good from far Established Member

Great thread. I just picked up a VMP 2.5" pulley & 90mm idler for my 2010 and was wondering about the need for (or lack of) this myself.

ShelbyGT5HUN likes this.
  5. HillbillyHotRod

HillbillyHotRod Hooligan rabble rouser Established Member

Depends on how much hammering on it you will do. I have seen the video of a stock one bouncing all over the place. Admittedly that was racing conditions. If you don’t plan any of that the stocker should be okay. I personally have a VMP one.

ShelbyGT5HUN likes this.
  6. RedVenom48

RedVenom48 Ghost Editor-in-Chief Premium Member Established Member Beer Money Bros.

Stock tensioner is good for bone stock applications on the street. Other than that its a weak unit.

Im running a stock lower, 2.5" VMP upper with a VMP S/C belt tensioner; stock pulley size. Ive also got a BPS aux idler for better belt wrap. Stock belt for now, but I messaged Van and an 84" belt is the size of choice for my particular application.

ShelbyGT5HUN likes this.