Termi/GT500 Conversion

TommyB

Established Member
As the title suggests I'm going F/I as opposed to the N/A build originally discussed in my previous thread.
So, I purchased a Termi setup with an H122 GT500 take off from another forume site.
For Sale 4.6 4V to 5.4 4V H122 kit
My goal is not a max effort race car, but a streetable, fun car. My car is a Factory Five cobra replica. Wet weight is right aound 2200 lbs. The essentially stock 98 cobra motor was fun, but lacked low end punch.

What I have already

-98 Teksid block
-Boss Rods
-Speed pro forged pistons. (stock dish)
-C heads, mild port job (gasket match) with 98 Cobra intake cams, cooling mod.
-Red Monster COP Conversion

-High Volume oil pump, Billet gears.
-Composite windage tray
-ARP head studs

Here is the plan thus far..

Stock Term intake, intercooler,Cobra Engineering H122 adapter plate, H122 GT 500 take off
Stock Termi fuel rails, 39 lb injectors.
Kenne Bell BAP
Custom intercooler tank, rear mounted, heat exchangers (from snowmobile) to and from tank, with a suitable rad in front of car.
Custom intake using accufab or bbk throttle body(anyone have one?) And adapter plate to blower snout.
Stock mass airflow.. Suggestions here?
My initial thoughts are to route the intake down in front of the engine to cool air, but that will be decided later.

I want to use the 98 front cover as everthing is pretty much custom anyway. I will need some 8 rib pulleys, and specifically an 8 rib harmonic balancer.

SCT tuner with custom tune

Questions for now?

What is a good balancer option?
How do I deal with the return vs non return(termi) system.
Cuurently have 5/16" fuel supply line. Will that be enough?

A quick note about myself... I am a machinist/millwright/welder and love a challenge. Especially when it involves internal combustion!

That is all I can think of for now. There will be MANY more questions as this project progresses.
Thanks to all for your help and ideas.

Cheers

Tom

MackDombles

Established Member
As the title suggests I'm going F/I as opposed to the N/A build originally discussed in my previous thread.
So, I purchased a Termi setup with an H122 GT500 take off from another forume site.
For Sale 4.6 4V to 5.4 4V H122 kit
My goal is not a max effort race car, but a streetable, fun car. My car is a Factory Five cobra replica. Wet weight is right aound 2200 lbs. The essentially stock 98 cobra motor was fun, but lacked low end punch.

What I have already

-98 Teksid block
-Boss Rods
-Speed pro forged pistons. (stock dish)
-C heads, mild port job (gasket match) with 98 Cobra intake cams, cooling mod.
-Red Monster COP Conversion

-High Volume oil pump, Billet gears.
-Composite windage tray
-ARP head studs

Here is the plan thus far..

Stock Term intake, intercooler,Cobra Engineering H122 adapter plate, H122 GT 500 take off
Stock Termi fuel rails, 39 lb injectors.
Kenne Bell BAP
Custom intercooler tank, rear mounted, heat exchangers (from snowmobile) to and from tank, with a suitable rad in front of car.
Custom intake using accufab or bbk throttle body(anyone have one?) And adapter plate to blower snout.
Stock mass airflow.. Suggestions here?
My initial thoughts are to route the intake down in front of the engine to cool air, but that will be decided later.

I want to use the 98 front cover as everthing is pretty much custom anyway. I will need some 8 rib pulleys, and specifically an 8 rib harmonic balancer.

SCT tuner with custom tune

Questions for now?

What is a good balancer option?
How do I deal with the return vs non return(termi) system.
Cuurently have 5/16" fuel supply line. Will that be enough?

A quick note about myself... I am a machinist/millwright/welder and love a challenge. Especially when it involves internal combustion!

That is all I can think of for now. There will be MANY more questions as this project progresses.
Thanks to all for your help and ideas.

Cheers

Tom
How is this going?

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

TommyB

Established Member
How is this going?

All is going pretty good so far. Pretty much have all the mechanical stuff sorted out. Long block is complete as described. I picked up a Champ oil pan specific to my car, which was a great find.
Pulleys are sorted out. Had to fabricate a bracket to move the alternator to the AC location, as well as a bracket to install 2 idlers below the blower snout. Purchased 2 idlers from McMaster carr (2" dia) for mock up, and will be ok for the short term. Everything is going remarkably well! The blower pulley is lined up perfectly. Kudos to James at Cobra Engineering for the adapter plate.
Oh ya.. CNC' d an adapter plate for the TB to blower snout, which turned out great. This is a sexy piece, if I must say.
One snag was the coolant crossover. There is(was) a little interference with the blower pulley. Luckily, I was able to cut and weld enough of a downward angle for clearance.
Now it is time to pretty up my brackets
How is this going?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Please post pics.
I’ll be building a Cobra soon—that combo should be big fun
-J

TommyB

Established Member
It is going pretty good so far. Pretty much have all the mechanical stuff sorted out. Long block is complete as described. I picked up a Champ oil pan specific to my car, which was a great find.
Pulleys are sorted out. Had to fabricate a bracket to move the alternator to the AC location, as well as a bracket to install 2 idlers below the blower snout. Purchased 2 idlers from McMaster carr (2" dia) for mock up, and will be ok for the short term. Everything is going remarkably well! The blower pulley is lined up perfectly. Kudos to James at Cobra Engineering for the adapter plate.
Oh ya.. CNC' d an adapter plate for the TB to blower snout, which turned out great. This is a sexy piece, if I must say.
One snag was the coolant crossover. There is(was) a little interference with the blower pulley. Luckily, I was able to cut and weld enough of a downward angle for clearance.
Now it is time to pretty up my brackets and do the final assembly.
Thanks for the interest
Tom 20190115_172443-1024x768.jpg 20190115_172458-1024x768.jpg 20190115_172523-1305x979.jpg

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Very nice! I like the Cobra brakes on the Cobra too.
Is that a hockey skate lace? I have many of those and may have just learned a new garage trick :)
-J

TommyB

Established Member
You got it! Skate laces rock! Strong, no stretch and they hold a knot . I keep a bunch in my DD as well. Great for tying stuff to the roof rack etc.
Yes on the Cobra brakes. My whole drivetrain is from a 98 Cobra.

musclemerc

Established Member
Are you sure the 39lb injectors are up to the task? IIRC a stock GT500 with an M122 uses 47lb injectors.
I went with a set of Deka 60's on my swap.

If you get a chance post up a pic with the COT installed

Last edited:

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Great project here. Built a FFR back in the 1990’s and it was a blast even with a HCI 302 and SC IRS rear end. We will never yell at you for too many pics, so...

MackDombles

Established Member
Are you sure the 39lb injectors are up to the task? IIRC a stock GT500 with an M122 uses 47lb injectors.
I went with a set of Deka 60's on my swap.

If you get a chance post up a pic with the COT installed
Same. I did the 122 and used 60 dekas as well. With twin 340 pumps and a boost a pump I am hitting 14psi max.

I really like your pulley setup. This whole build is awesome great job man.
Please feel free to keep posting updates.

TommyB

Established Member
Thanks for the encouragement. It is a fun project for sure.
My tuner dude feels he can probably work with the 39's for starters. I am expecting to have to step it up though.
The FFR is an absolute blast to drive. I can't wait to get it back on the road this summer.

Users who are viewing this thread