Terminator factory pistons limit??

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
I picked up a set of factory 03-04 pistons up from another member not too long ago. I just wanted to know what is the potential or limit of these pistons on a blower setup?? (D1sc)

thanks !

YellowShaker03

I Am Black Jesus
Established Member
Iv'e seen alot of sites claim that the pistions (not the entire motor) are only good to 550-600hp. But I don't really see how thats possible since theres Cobras running around pusing 800hp on 'stock' motor. I say stock meaning aside from fuel and other required upgrades to handle higher horsepower levels.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
The pistons themselves are strong, its the heat generated by these cars along with the tight piston to wall clearance thats the killer. There are plenty of Terminators running 600-700rwhp on the stock motors, and a few turbo guys pushing over 800rwhp on the stock internals.

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
The pistons themselves are strong, its the heat generated by these cars along with the tight piston to wall clearance thats the killer. There are plenty of Terminators running 600-700rwhp on the stock motors, and a few turbo guys pushing over 800rwhp on the stock internals.

Beat me to it, great post! :beer:

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
Lots of stock SB Mustang GT guys running 400 to 420 at the wheels. Safe? IDK borrowed time I say, some grenade some don't.
I think 600 to the tire is fine for a 03/04 Cobra, thats saying the car isn't abused daily.
The 700 and 800 whp guys are obveously not hammering day to day.
JMO

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
99stanggt said it very well. The pistons, crank, and rods are all forged, same stuff people use to build "built" motors. These parts alone can handle alot of power. It is the tight piston to wall clerance that screws these engines up. The heat generated by running lots of boost and the tight piston ring tolerances seem to be the cause of most engines going BOOM! You start doing WOT 5th and 6th gear pulls, or have a bad tune with elevated A/F ratios, the pistons start to expand and there just isn't enough leway with the tolerances in these engines. Next thing you know your stuck on the side of the road.

Users who are viewing this thread