Terminator Future Value Opinions

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

First of all I know possible future values are subjective based on several factors (production #'s, economy, desire/popularity, government regulations (ICE vs EV), parts availability, aftermarket, etc.).

However, with that said where do you see prices of the 03/04 Terminator values in the future?

The reason I ask is I am looking at selling/trading my 03 convertible for a Fox Body. Fox Bodies are really getting popular and good examples are going for a pretty penny and Fox Bodies in general good shape are getting harder to find. Prices seem to be going up on Fox Bodies and it seems that trend will continue.

Now, the production time between Fox Bodies and the Terminators are 10 years. Is this 10 year gap the reason it seems Fox Bodies and Terminators are of about equal value currently?

I have 2 Terminators and zero Fox Bodies. I "really" like the Fox Bodies and have regretted getting rid of my 1989 GT for years now. So, I "really" want a Fox Body, but it will take a little effort to sell my vert and then track down a nice Fox Body. So, in the end what do you guys see as a better move? Keeping the vert or selling it and buying a Fox Body?

I'm not looking for a 93 Cobra or anything crazy. Probably a really nice LX Notch back (fully factory loaded. i.e. 5.0, 5 SPD, A/C, power steering/windows/door locks, rare tan interior, etc.) or an SSP car.

Even though I really want a Fox Body I do not want to get rid of a Terminator if it will be the more desirable car in the future. Sort of like the difference in price between a 65 Coupe vs a 65 Fastback.

So, I'm at a crossroads and I'm wondering which path will be the better option.

Please provide your pros and cons or perspective on this.....

q6543

Established Member
I believe literally EVERYTHING automotive has peaked.
I would expect anything bought from the last 2 years through today to be down in value SIGNIFICANTLY from here.

From porsche 911s to hatchback foxbodys and everything in between.

Dead decade, buy what you will be happy to own and lose 10 or 20 grand on, which is the way its always been.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Buy what you will be happy to own and lose 10 or 20 grand on, which is the way its always been.
LOL, I guess that's my issue. Trying to avoid the bigger loss here. I agree anything automotive is normally a bad risk investment wise.

So, which is the worse investment? Fox Body or Terminator????

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Hard to predict but the simple fact that there were less 03/04 cobras made and the value of them never really dropped a significant amount makes me lean towards the Terminator being more valuable over time. They're also a numbered vehicle which does make a difference from a collectability standpoint.

I can still pick up a decent fox for 8k or less with nice ones being in the 15+ range in my area. But there's no terminator short of being on its way to the crusher for less than 15k.

Yours being a vert does add some uncertainty as well.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Sell the vert and get a fox. But then I don't look at cars for resale. I look at them as something I want to own and play with and make my own. You only live once and all that.
Now you're speaking my language Bob LMAO!!! After building my 65 I'm sure I could make an LX Fox pretty Badass and really make it my own.

Problem is I'm not sure the wife is onboard with the switch. She loves the Vert LMAO!!! So, I'm trying to convince her from a better financial move perspective.....

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
unless it's some rare fox I have a hard time seeing where a well cared for terminator wouldn't be worth more than a well cared for fox. The car hobby is far more emotional than logical though, if the fox is what you really want then get one, especially if you're still keeping another terminator around

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
unless it's some rare fox I have a hard time seeing where a well cared for terminator wouldn't be worth more than a well cared for fox. The car hobby is far more emotional than logical though, if the fox is what you really want then get one, especially if you're still keeping another terminator around
It seems like cars start to increase in value when the people that wanted one back in the day can finally afford one. Like for the foxes it seems that the people getting them now are the ones that wanted them back in the 90's but couldn't afford one for whatever reason.

I had a 70 fastback in my younger years and I've thought about picking up another one to build the way younger me wanted to. But I'd have to sell the Cobra to do it and I just can't bring myself to do it.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
It seems like cars start to increase in value when the people that wanted one back in the day can finally afford one. Like for the foxes it seems that the people getting them now are the ones that wanted them back in the 90's but couldn't afford one for whatever reason.

I had a 70 fastback in my younger years and I've thought about picking up another one to build the way younger me wanted to. But I'd have to sell the Cobra to do it and I just can't bring myself to do it.
Typically, when cars are around 25 years old you see that. The guys drooling over foxbodys when they were 16 are now upper 30s to early 40s with established careers and plenty of money to relive their youth.

LS WUT

Established Member
I’ve got to admit I share the same answers as a vast majority of these guys. I believe the cars up, and down pricing all comes down to nostalgia, and such. Generally the people in my generation who loved mustangs drooled over the thought of owning an 03/04 Cobra. People in the generation before me probably would take a foxbody over the Cobra because they grew up riding around in a foxbody versus a Cobra. Then there are the people like us on this forum who would love to have both. I’d say with cars, money comes and goes generally. I was recently offered a 2017 GT350 straight trade for both of my cobras, and or $57,500 cash. I have sat beside myself and wondered what I should do. Do I think a GT350 would like great next to my 13 GT500? Of course it would. However it comes down to in the event I have regret. Will I come across, and be able to purchase back the two cars for the same money I let them go for? That’s a tough call. I think if you want a foxbody and worry less about the resale value, and such I’d say go for it. The other side of me says, make some more Model Cobras and add a foxbody!
Jokes aside, you’ve got a cobra you could sell the Vert and add a foxbody if your heart truly desires.

q6543

Established Member
It seems like you're trying to be forward thinking about this.
Perhaps an 11-14 5.0 GT would fit be perfect and possibly appreciate better a decade out.

I loved mine, it's like a big foxbody!
And for all the hate MT82s get... it's INFINITELY better than breaking T5s every other month.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I’ve got to admit I share the same answers as a vast majority of these guys. I believe the cars up, and down pricing all comes down to nostalgia, and such. Generally the people in my generation who loved mustangs drooled over the thought of owning an 03/04 Cobra. People in the generation before me probably would take a foxbody over the Cobra because they grew up riding around in a foxbody versus a Cobra. Then there are the people like us on this forum who would love to have both. I’d say with cars, money comes and goes generally. I was recently offered a 2017 GT350 straight trade for both of my cobras, and or $57,500 cash. I have sat beside myself and wondered what I should do. Do I think a GT350 would like great next to my 13 GT500? Of course it would. However it comes down to in the event I have regret. Will I come across, and be able to purchase back the two cars for the same money I let them go for? That’s a tough call. I think if you want a foxbody and worry less about the resale value, and such I’d say go for it. The other side of me says, make some more Model Cobras and add a foxbody!
Jokes aside, you’ve got a cobra you could sell the Vert and add a foxbody if your heart truly desires.
That was one of the reasons I haven't sold the Cobra even though I've had a couple offers. I'm not sure I could get another Mystichrome. And if I do happen to find one I don't want to have to sell body parts to afford it.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I did the opposite of what you want to do. I wrecked my 2001 GT, it was procharged, yada yada...I put a lot of time and money into it. I ALWAYS wanted a Terminator; however, at the time I didn't have the money so I bought a Fox Body shell, swapped all the 2001 drivetrain, put a holley on it, drove it for like 3 months and I hated it. I ended up getting a much higher paying job, bought my Terminator, sold the Fox and never looked back.

All this to say...you know what you want. You know what you like. Don't settle thinking you will be OK and will be appeased. Buy what you really want and enjoy it.

Best of luck.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hard to predict but the simple fact that there were less 03/04 cobras made and the value of them never really dropped a significant amount makes me lean towards the Terminator being more valuable over time. They're also a numbered vehicle which does make a difference from a collectability standpoint.

I can still pick up a decent fox for 8k or less with nice ones being in the 15+ range in my area. But there's no terminator short of being on its way to the crusher for less than 15k.

Yours being a vert does add some uncertainty as well.
Makes perfect sense to me value wise.

My problem is in my neck of the woods Fox Bodies are hard to come by.

And I'm very particular. Not any Fox Body will do for me. Absolutely no convertible Fox Bodies, no black cars, no red interiors, has to have the options I listed above, cannot be torn up/missing factory options (i.e. if it came with A/C then then A/C needs to be there, etc.). No aftermarket seats/steering wheel. Just stuff like that and when I look on ebay there are very few if any that meet my criteria.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I think if you want a foxbody and worry less about the resale value, and such I’d say go for it. The other side of me says, make some more Model Cobras and add a foxbody!
LOL, as most of you have eluded too.....nostalgia. I had a Fox Body and, for me, it was the one that got away because I was stupid.

I seen the Black and Gold 380R on the showroom floor and thought of the old Shelby Hurst cars. So, in order to afford the 380R I had to trade in my 89GT. NEVER should have done that. Been kicking myself ever since.

I don't necessarily have the money or space to just outright buy another Fox Body. So, something has to go and I picked the vert as I have a coupe. So, just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Maybe that's my ticket. Keep building model Cobra's and it will fund my desire to get back into a Fox body LOL. I have a ton of GMP Fox Bodies sitting in a plexiglass case in my garage. It's not scratching the itch.

So, occasionally I go looking for Fox Bodies. It's fun, but not sure how much of a reality I could actually make it. Not yet anyway. Maybe in a few years when prices are even worse than they are now and it will cost me more to make it happen LMAO!!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I did the opposite of what you want to do. I wrecked my 2001 GT, it was procharged, yada yada...I put a lot of time and money into it. I ALWAYS wanted a Terminator; however, at the time I didn't have the money so I bought a Fox Body shell, swapped all the 2001 drivetrain, put a holley on it, drove it for like 3 months and I hated it. I ended up getting a much higher paying job, bought my Terminator, sold the Fox and never looked back.

All this to say...you know what you want. You know what you like. Don't settle thinking you will be OK and will be appeased. Buy what you really want and enjoy it.

Best of luck.

That's something else I considered. Looking for a Fox Body shell and putting all the Terminator stuff from my convertible in it. My wife said she is opposed to me cutting up a perfectly good Terminator convertible LOL.

She's right. Doesn't make sense to destroy the vert as there's nothing wrong with it. But a Terminated swapped Fox Body sure does sound awesome!!!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
It seems like you're trying to be forward thinking about this.
Perhaps an 11-14 5.0 GT would fit be perfect and possibly appreciate better a decade out.

I loved mine, it's like a big foxbody!
And for all the hate MT82s get... it's INFINITELY better than breaking T5s every other month.
I don't like or have a sentimental attachment to an 11-14 5.0 GT. So, that's a nonstarter for me.

If I were to get back into an 88 or 89 Fox Body it would feel like home to me.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
And that's a perspective I'm looking for. I get the Terminator is a lower produced and serial numbered vehicle. Makes sense it would be worth more in the end quality being equal.

But, I cannot make that argument at this point and wanted other points of view. I have to admit fun wise and desire wise the Fox Body is a better fit for me. Especially since, like you mentioned, I would still have a Terminator in my stable.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
If I were to get back into an 88 or 89 Fox Body it would feel like home to me.
Just something else worth mentioning. Depending on how long ago it was when you owned your last fox and how good your memory is :), you need to realize these cars are now 30 years old riding on a 44 year old chassis. Even a good one will still have issues and drive like crap.

But since you have 2 Terminators, definitely keep the coupe, and go for the fox. One thing is for sure, you won't loose money on either one. #YOLO

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
That's something else I considered. Looking for a Fox Body shell and putting all the Terminator stuff from my convertible in it. My wife said she is opposed to me cutting up a perfectly good Terminator convertible LOL.

She's right. Doesn't make sense to destroy the vert as there's nothing wrong with it. But a Terminated swapped Fox Body sure does sound awesome!!!!
I couldn’t ruin a perfectly good car either. If it’s broke, sure…otherwise, find a broken one and use it.

A Termi swapped fox would be fun. I just hate the fox interior. I like my new edges I guess.

The only other mustang I really want is a 13-14 Coyote.

Users who are viewing this thread