Terminator Steering Rack (How to get it!)

Dino S.

Established Member
I got a Cardone 22-2000 rack from Rock Auto (said QTY 1 remaining, and that does appear to be true, item is no longer on website). Received part and it does have the SPR ZM code on the casting.

Does that mean it's definitely a Cobra rack? Are there any other ways to check that what's inside is what I actually ordered?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I got a Cardone 22-2000 rack from Rock Auto (said QTY 1 remaining, and that does appear to be true, item is no longer on website). Received part and it does have the SPR ZM code on the casting.

Does that mean it's definitely a Cobra rack? Are there any other ways to check that what's inside is what I actually ordered?
It's been confirmed by maximum motorsports. Not much difference between any 99-04 based racks.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Rusty67

Established Member
It's been confirmed by maximum motorsports. Not much difference between any 99-04 based racks.

Say what you want but when I replaced the rack in my Mach 1 with a Terminator rack, it was a significant difference in the amount of assist.

I forget the external stamping numbers but I think that is a Terminator rack. That doesn't mean anything if it is a rebuilt unit though because who knows what the rebuild guys did when they put it back together. If you put it in and it feels like you have way less assist, then you got the Terminator rack.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Say what you want but when I replaced the rack in my Mach 1 with a Terminator rack, it was a significant difference in the amount of assist.

I forget the external stamping numbers but I think that is a Terminator rack. That doesn't mean anything if it is a rebuilt unit though because who knows what the rebuild guys did when they put it back together. If you put it in and it feels like you have way less assist, then you got the Terminator rack.
From Jack Hidley at maximum motorsports.
77303ba80ff4868a55af40cc6a893a49.jpg

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Double post.

I went through a lot of research on this topic over the last 6-8 months. Jack information came on corral when I was asking about AGR racks.

Initially I wanted a terminator rack to upgrade on my 90 coupe. I ended up buying a used SN95 steering rack from a 96-97 mustang.

After Jacks information, I decided any SN95 steering rack is an upgrade over the stock fox rack. I hope to install it this year.

Attachments

• 77303ba80ff4868a55af40cc6a893a49.jpg
    77303ba80ff4868a55af40cc6a893a49.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 213

Rusty67

Established Member
So I got this rack when I did my swap (and it was quite a bit cheaper then):
Mustang Rack And Pinion 94-04 15:1 Ford Mustang Rack and Pinion AGR Steering
When I talked to them at the time they said the Terminator rack and the R rack were the same except for the steering limiters because the R had wider wheels and it would rub so the travel had to be limited more. Maybe I remember that conversation incorrectly but I can tell you for sure that this rack vs my factory rack had VERY different assist.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So I got this rack when I did my swap (and it was quite a bit cheaper then):
Mustang Rack And Pinion 94-04 15:1 Ford Mustang Rack and Pinion AGR Steering
When I talked to them at the time they said the Terminator rack and the R rack were the same except for the steering limiters because the R had wider wheels and it would rub so the travel had to be limited more. Maybe I remember that conversation incorrectly but I can tell you for sure that this rack vs my factory rack had VERY different assist.
Those are custom built. They can make them with nearly any valving you want.

But I'd take Mr. Hidley's word over many others. Maximum Motorsports has a very good reputation with suspension and steering.

Mustang5L5

Established Member
I am aware the Jack stated the valving is the same, but I have heard from other sources the Torsion rod is still different.

I have a broken 2004 GT and 2004 cobra rack. Been wanting to rip them apart and actually see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Are you sure? If I go to their page on doing an SN-95 rack upgrade on a Foxbody, they seem to be pretty clear that the Cobra racks are better than the 99-04 GT rack.

lower number = higher desirability.
View attachment 1707416
That's because they haven't updated there website. I can dig up an email from Jack Hidley and I screenshot his response on this topic on corral.

Edit: Read post #14. I'm the one that started that thread.
AGR steering rack questions

Last edited:

Mustang5L5

Established Member
I really wish MM would update their page. Every time i mention that, i get 15 counters "But MM says XX is the best".

Even though Jack states the valving is the same, he doesn't mention the torsion rod though. So i'm still curious.

BTW, i fubared up my Cobra rack. I was converting to hydroboost and installing the MM 6AN fittings into the rack. I cranked it down a bit too hard and split the housing where the threads are. I ended up picking up a used 04 GT rack but it appears it has some issues of it's own. I might try to do a quick AL tig weld to the housing on the crack. Hate to scrap an entire cobra rack due to this.

YELOSNK

Established Member
I really wish MM would update their page. Every time i mention that, i get 15 counters "But MM says XX is the best".

Even though Jack states the valving is the same, he doesn't mention the torsion rod though. So i'm still curious.

I asked him if the 99-04 GT vs. Cobra racks had the same torsion bars and he responded:

"I’m 95% certain that they do, but in any case it doesn’t matter.

Both racks have the same assist curve. This is the relationship between the applied steering torque and the amount of force applied to the tie rods. This is the only thing that matters to the driver and is what was measured."

My question at this point is: if I'm willing to spend more, how would I go about obtaining or rebuilding my rack so that it is better than the stock rack? I saw AGR has a Cobra R-setup rack, but then read that AGR has a bad rep. Turn One seems to be recommended, but I don't know what specifically I'd ask for in order for it to have a desirable increase in weight and feedback. Would I just add them to rebuild it like a normal 99-04 GT rack, but with a 0.245" torsion bar?

Last edited:

Mustang5L5

Established Member
I'm not sure Turn One can upgrade racks. For one, they would need that larger torsion bar, and i'm not sure it's something there is a ready supply of.

But i haven't called to ask. This is an assumption i am making.

Mustang5L5

Established Member
For $1K i'll just stick with a more readily available 2004 GT rack and call it a day. Unless you are tracking the car, i doubt you'd ever notice.

YELOSNK

Established Member
For $1K i'll just stick with a more readily available 2004 GT rack and call it a day. Unless you are tracking the car, i doubt you'd ever notice.

Yeah as much as I like the idea of it, I'd rather put that money towards a coilover conversion or something. I really like the steering on my M5 and was hoping to get closer to that weight and feel, but the ol' yelosnk isn't worth a $1K (plus shipping both ways, I assume) steering rack. I was game for ~$500 for the AGP version but based on how folks feel about AGP I'm passing on that one, too.

Users who are viewing this thread