Tesla Model S Plaid

jshen

Established Member
I have to ask- how much will electric costs/veh or household rise if/when folks to to all electric. Sure the sun can charge, and those huge ugly wind farms...but unless we find cheaper fuel when ALL 6 billion of us are using it...monopoly energy companies will be there. As for fossil fuel? We have it- and the US will just sell it abroad. Does that make greenhouse issues any less important? Personally, I like solar because my ass has been out of power for storm after storm. Maybe propane/natural gas backup. But for the entire planet? We have a long ways to go.. I also think that any group that even thinks of building another hydroelectric plant (dam) should be hung from the nearest tree. they have ruined our wildlife.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
A few things are usually brushed aside when talking about an EV. First, temperature changes can effect charging time as well as how many people are drawing power from the grid at a period of time. Second, what about the time it takes to charge, supercharge or not? I'm reading various articles and while the price per mile looks good, how the hell does one put a sensible number on your time and the time it takes waiting?

blk02edge

Established Member
I have to ask- how much will electric costs/veh or household rise if/when folks to to all electric. Sure the sun can charge, and those huge ugly wind farms...but unless we find cheaper fuel when ALL 6 billion of us are using it...monopoly energy companies will be there. As for fossil fuel? We have it- and the US will just sell it abroad. Does that make greenhouse issues any less important? Personally, I like solar because my ass has been out of power for storm after storm. Maybe propane/natural gas backup. But for the entire planet? We have a long ways to go.. I also think that any group that even thinks of building another hydroelectric plant (dam) should be hung from the nearest tree. they have ruined our wildlife.
The need for tax revenue will push the cost of electricity through the roof when oil is no longer needed on such a scale, and the need for constant upgrades/repairs to the grid. It certainly wont be a pleasant transition for the next few decades thanks to politicians using green as an agenda.

And thats right, nobody cares how much the rest of the world pollutes. Greta has her sights set on North America.

ENV²

Established Member
It will be interesting to see how things play out. I'm sure when it first gets into peoples hands we will see a few Youtube videos of it at the track or on the street beating up on some cars just like we did when people got their hands on a Tesla with Ludicrous mode - then the hype will die down. The same thing happened when the GT500, C8, Demon, Redeye, etc. came out.

It's priced at $139,990, so no, I don't see a ton of car guys buying these just like I don't see a ton of C7ZR1's or any other car that is in that price bracket driving around regularly.

The problem with Teslas (or any electric car that is available at this point) is that outside of going fast in a straight line they are boring. The Model S Performance does 0-60 in 2.3 seconds while the GT500 is advertised as mid 3s and the base C8 is 2.9; I see way more excitement over the GT500 and C8 than the Model S Performance despite being slower. Magazine times aren't everything to all car enthusiasts.

What will be interesting is when the technology gets affordable to more people. I still see people wanting the sounds, vibration, and mechanical feeling of a non electric car - at least until we get a generation that knows nothing but electric cars.

I agree with this so much. I have a pretty well modified 996turbo and while she can smack the pants off of a GT3RS in most situations I want a GT3/4 in manual trim for the high revs /noise and telepathic handling. Sometimes it’s not just about the power in any situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Balt21

Established Member
They are ridiculous at autocross. They had to reclass them all the way into Super Street from B Street. So not just a straight line car(although they are insanely fun off the jump). It can handle autocross with the best ICE cars ever made. Once battery tech matches ICE on range/charge times; its going to be hard to beat the electric cars for the value.

scca-reclassifies-tesla-model-3all-way-top-rung | News | Grassroots Motorsports

Did they ever release the ring times from when they went all the way out there to Germany with the 3 motor prototype? Id love to see what this crazy new 3 motor car could do with the backing of a manufacturer as far as times.

Like I said, I'm not disputing it's ability. It's boring in the sense that there is no sound, shifting, bland looks, etc. Most people spend way more time on normal streets than they do at drag strips, autocrosses, and road courses combined so more goes into the decision than "what is the fastest." Again, different people have different priorities.

Look in the comment section of the article you posted. There is a link to a Facebook post where the guy who won Nationals in the Tesla said he would rather autocross a Miata - and he won Nationals with the Tesla. The comment is by "Fueled by Caffeine" on 1/2/2020 at 4:53PM to make it easier to find (he edited for profanity in the comment, I quoted the actual Facebook post below). Here is his quote:
"I didn't love autocrossing the Tesla, and mine got retired from autocross right after Nationals. It accelerates like nothing I've ever felt, but corners like shit. It's the polar opposite of a Miata, and I'd rather autocross a Miata."

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Like I said, I'm not disputing it's ability. It's boring in the sense that there is no sound, shifting, bland looks, etc. Most people spend way more time on normal streets than they do at drag strips, autocrosses, and road courses combined so more goes into the decision than "what is the fastest." Again, different people have different priorities.

Look in the comment section of the article you posted. There is a link to a Facebook post where the guy who won Nationals in the Tesla said he would rather autocross a Miata - and he won Nationals with the Tesla. The comment is by "Fueled by Caffeine" on 1/2/2020 at 4:53PM to make it easier to find (he edited for profanity in the comment, I quoted the actual Facebook post below). Here is his quote:
"I didn't love autocrossing the Tesla, and mine got retired from autocross right after Nationals. It accelerates like nothing I've ever felt, but corners like shit. It's the polar opposite of a Miata, and I'd rather autocross a Miata."
Loved my miatas. Wife thought they were kind of gorly, but hands down the most fun. Could absolutely drive the shit out of it and not get into trouble.

I would still like to try out that plaid though.

CLN 6R

Established Member
A friend has one with the downloadable performance upgrade and that little ****er is quick. I hate to admit to but I kind of like it. The interior is odd and fit/finish of the exterior blows for a 50k+ car
That’s what I have, the Dual motor with Accel boost.

I have not driven one and I am sure the instant torque would be a ton of fun and blow the doors of my 24 year old Cobra. Like I said, speed is just one piece of the puzzle for what makes a performance car enjoyable though. There are definitely people who's #1 priority is being the fastest guy around or just having a car that slams them into the seat whether they're racing anyone or not. For them, I'm sure the instant torque checks the box.

Is the Tesla going to put a smile on my face when I turn it on and and it starts rumbling?
How about the gratification of a perfect downshift when I'm out driving on the curvy back roads?
Am I going to look back at it in a parking lot when I'm walking away because I like how it looks?

The answer to all of these FOR ME is no. It doesn't rumble to life, there isn't a 3rd pedal, and the looks don't do it for me. For someone else, maybe they don't like hearing a cars exhaust, could care less about shifting on their own because a computer is faster, and think it looks great - all of that plus the instant torque spells a winner, which is great for them.
I agree with your points, I have had some loud cars in the past and don’t get me wrong, I’m not anti loud, but these things are fun on a whole other level. I can **** around in the street and do hard accels and a cop won’t hear me a half mile away. If I had the coin I’d have a Tesla as a DD and something loud/manual for the weekend.

I added the acceleration boost to our model 3....thing is a blast
That’s what I did, dual motor with accel boost. Ran 11.9 @ 116 3x in a row like it was it’s job, and pulls away from pretty much anything on the street from a stop.

My94GT

Established Member
A few things are usually brushed aside when talking about an EV. First, temperature changes can effect charging time as well as how many people are drawing power from the grid at a period of time. Second, what about the time it takes to charge, supercharge or not? I'm reading various articles and while the price per mile looks good, how the hell does one put a sensible number on your time and the time it takes waiting?

for the majority of owners they are charging at home nightly. How many buyers are driving 300 miles a day every day?

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
for the majority of owners they are charging at home nightly. How many buyers are driving 300 miles a day every day?
I am over 200 some days... only thing that holds me back a little. Problem is that 300 is not always real and sometimes I do not have 30-40 min for the recharge. They are close but not quite there for me yet. I am probably not the average though. My wife would be fine with it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Doesn't the battery deplete much quicker if you're frequently at or near WOT?

So 300 hours if you granny drive it, and, what, maybe half that if you're heavy on the acceleration?

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
You want to only charge them to 60-70% most of the time or it's really hard on the battery. You only charge to 100% if you have a long drive ahead, otherwise your total range will drop as the battery prematurely wears out.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
You want to only charge them to 60-70% most of the time or it's really hard on the battery. You only charge to 100% if you have a long drive ahead, otherwise your total range will drop as the battery prematurely wears out.

Yeah I think I saw 90% as a max. Do they have a limit for the home chargers where you can maintain at a lower %?

Fat Boss

Established Member
Yeah I think I saw 90% as a max. Do they have a limit for the home chargers where you can maintain at a lower %?

Modern EV's will only allow you to charge to about 80% of the battery capacity. When you configure your car to be 100% of battery usage, it's only 80%. There's a lot of 2010 in the comments on this thread. I go WOT just about every time from every stop with my Focus Electric and I have no noticeable reduction in range after 30k miles.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Modern EV's will only allow you to charge to about 80% of the battery capacity. When you configure your car to be 100% of battery usage, it's only 80%. There's a lot of 2010 in the comments on this thread. I go WOT just about every time from every stop with my Focus Electric and I have no noticeable reduction in range after 30k miles.
That is good info. So are the mileage ranges based on 80% or the mythical 100%?

Fat Boss

Established Member

They're based on the 80%. Real world testing on the Mach-E is showing Ford being spot-on with their mileage estimates. I'm getting a top of the line performance edition and can expect to get 230 miles, which is significantly more than my use case which is going to work and back twice in case I forget to charge it. But I haven't been to the office in about 10 months now.

My94GT

Established Member
I am over 200 some days... only thing that holds me back a little. Problem is that 300 is not always real and sometimes I do not have 30-40 min for the recharge. They are close but not quite there for me yet. I am probably not the average though. My wife would be fine with it.

yea you’re definitely not the average driver. Hell I’m not the average either and I drive 100 mile round trip commute. I really get tempted to go Tesla as it sure would be nice to have it practically drive me to and from work lol.

venmos1

Established Member
They're based on the 80%. Real world testing on the Mach-E is showing Ford being spot-on with their mileage estimates. I'm getting a top of the line performance edition and can expect to get 230 miles, which is significantly more than my use case which is going to work and back twice in case I forget to charge it. But I haven't been to the office in about 10 months now.

Did you install a charger at home? If so, if you dont mind sharing, how much did that run you?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

would probably need to read the fine print. I thought there was an also an option to get closer to a full charge like leading up to a road trip or something but might be wrong. My friends model 3 shows you the EPA estimated range on the dash but you can also flip screens and it shows current range based on battery health, current charge and recent usage. its kind of like the instant MPG read out in my truck

5.0Black

Established Member
Doesn't the battery deplete much quicker if you're frequently at or near WOT?

So 300 hours if you granny drive it, and, what, maybe half that if you're heavy on the acceleration?

I drove a model s performance back in late June and the battery life is certainly impacted in with aggressive driving in aggressive modes, or even just aggressive modes. Driving around town and idling in a parking lot while in ludicrous mode was a pretty aggressive drop in mileage. It reminded me of my SC'd mustang. Going to chill mode and the battery regen nannies help, but I find their advertised mileage claims to be unrealistic.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member

Good question. I'd venture a guess and say there are more than you think because why would there be Tesla charging stations every now and again?

One quick search showed 19 in the area of NEPA. One caveat to remember is how an EV driver is no different than others who forget to get gas, pick up milk, pay the such and such bill, etc.., Forgetting to plug in doesn't seem uncommon. When the stars and planets align, sure, maybe things work great but in terms of everyday life? Forgetting to plug in your battery, spirited driving, weather, time, etc.., all need to be factored in.

When I jumped into this discussion some days ago, I was fresh from being in a shopping venue with a station and as I pulled in there was a tesla charging. 30 minutes later as I was leaving it was still charging but this time the driver had the seat reclined and looked as if he was snoozing. IMO that is a long time to wait. In the time he was sitting there I could have been close to the Gap or outside of Allentown. Time is precious and very difficulty to lowball in terms of value.

Users who are viewing this thread