Tesla police car runs out of battery during chase

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
“This unfortunately happens from time to time even in our vehicles that run on gas, if they aren’t re-fueled at the end of a shift,” Bosques said. “This incident was truly no different than a vehicle running out of gas and a good reminder to our officers that they should have a full tank or charge to ensure they can make it the entire 11 hours of their shift.”

Difference is that fueling a gas/diesel car or truck takes minutes. Charging a Tesla takes hours..... so yeah.

CLN 6R

Established Member
“This unfortunately happens from time to time even in our vehicles that run on gas, if they aren’t re-fueled at the end of a shift,” Bosques said. “This incident was truly no different than a vehicle running out of gas and a good reminder to our officers that they should have a full tank or charge to ensure they can make it the entire 11 hours of their shift.”

Difference is that fueling a gas/diesel car or truck takes minutes. Charging a Tesla takes hours..... so yeah.
Maybe if home charging.

You can go from about 10% battery to 80% battery In about 45 minutes on a Supercharger.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
I think Tesla better get together with Carbon Motors and make the ultimate Police car. Oh thats right they went belly up on that endeavor. Again until they get the range of an electric car in the 400 mile area it is a dead end, plus running everything that a typical cop car has would drain the battery in 25 minutes just sitting there. Tesla would be the last vehicle I would consider for any emergency type.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I haven't seen any electric chargers in my neck of the woods except for one super market about 10 minutes away from me.
I haven't done a search yet, but I'm sure there are more. Tons of Teslas out here. What an ugly vehicle.

CLN 6R

Established Member
I haven't seen any electric chargers in my neck of the woods except for one super market about 10 minutes away from me.
I haven't done a search yet, but I'm sure there are more. Tons of Teslas out here. What an ugly vehicle.
Agree to disagree. Love mine.
BC32392E-3C78-4A4E-80E0-F9318FD60C82.jpeg

B1091D2B-F0BE-41F9-98B5-18246ADBA887.jpeg

Established Member
I don't have a problem with the car, as much as resale. All these current ownership cost projections assume there will be a ready buyer in the used market. That all changes when we hit saturation, as well as when other options become available. I'm not ready to take a 60K hit on a used tesla in 3-5 years

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I have no idea why they would even want a Tesla police car. Unless it was donated the cost for one and then all the equipment is way past there normal budget for patrol vehicle.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I'm with dude above, Tesla's look purrty sharp

Sent from my SM-N975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Agreed, they look pretty good. Guy at work has one in dark blue and its nice looking. Dude has it made, hasn't payed for "fuel" since he bought it last year, we have a charging station at my dealer that he utilizes every day.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member

Maybe if home charging.

You can go from about 10% battery to 80% battery In about 45 minutes on a Supercharger.

45 minutes is still an inconvenience IMO and the fact of someone trying to compare it with running out of gas is a bad attempt at saving face.

Can the Tesla police car run for 11 hours on one charge whether idling, driving or a combo of both?

If the car runs out of juice what then? Do you run a few thousand feet of extension cord to the nearest outlet, get a tow, etc..,?

Last edited:

jrandy

Established Member
It's funny because this is local to me and everyone made the same running out of battery joke when Fremont PD announced this. I did wonder how they were going to manage the battery.

However, Fremont is loaded with SuperCharging stations. I have a feeling that it was mismanaged as the driver should be hitting a charing station while they are waiting.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
because it's California... you should know this already

I dont think thats the reason. If that was the case all department's would have one. And thats not the case. Its one city Fremont which actually has a Tesla plant there.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I dont think thats the reason. If that was the case all department's would have one. And thats not the case. Its one city Fremont which actually has a Tesla plant there.

give it time I bet you the rest of the state will start catching on

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Possibly big cities that can afford the extra cost. But not all the outer cites.

I wonder what the actual price difference is between a new ford or chevy compared to a tesla in a police package. none of them are cheap to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread