Test drove a 2020 Raptor - highs/lows

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Considering you’re opinion is always opposite of mine this is a stunning validation of my point.
More than one are turning in their raptors and purchasing the Tremor, 7.3 and 6.7. There’s another group turning in their gen2 raptors and purchasing gen1 raptors. Uniformed indeed!
Two friends had Gen1 Raptors and instead of going gen2 they went 250 platinums couple years ago. Yes, still uniformed....

The Raptor is meant for high speed dessert/off road racing. It does well in hill climbs as well.
The Tremor is a truck that can hill climb rock crawl run water and tow 15k lbs and haul 3k. No other oem truck does all this!
Goin from a Raptor to a Tremor...
Damn not another one. Posted 20 min ago...
Dovefield

This is true. The Gen 1 has been proven as one of the most Solid trucks on the market.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Also if you can test out the recaro package vs regular seats.... that was a must option for me
I assume these seats were the recaro’s as they felt like a bolstered sport seat. The MSRP was close to 77. The salesman was clueless but so was I. I didn’t know or see it had a sport mode. I didn’t help that I drove my alpha GTR to the dealer and jumped into the Raptor. Most vehicle’s will feel slow after driving that car.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I assume these seats were the recaro’s as they felt like a bolstered sport seat. The MSRP was close to 77. The salesman was clueless but so was I. I didn’t know or see it had a sport mode. I didn’t help that I drove my alpha GTR to the dealer and jumped into the Raptor. Most vehicle’s will feel slow after driving that car.
The Raptor comes with a number of drive modes. I’m not sure which one is preset.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member

The Raptor does 0-60 in 5.5 iirc, guessing the GTR is somewhere in the low 3’s high 2’s. Yeah of course the Raptor will feel slow

But you get a Raptor for airtime not street racing
IMG_2590.JPG

I have an 18 (built later in the MY) and the only problem @DriftwoodSVT and I shared is the Sync3 needing to be worked on.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
The Raptor comes with a number of drive modes. I’m not sure which one is preset.
It is called Normal...it also has a Rock Crawl mode. I get it, you ordered a Tremor and are cupping the balls pretty hard. But what about it makes it more capable off-road?

kaz109

Established Member
Considering you’re opinion is always opposite of mine this is a stunning validation of my point.
More than one are turning in their raptors and purchasing the Tremor, 7.3 and 6.7. There’s another group turning in their gen2 raptors and purchasing gen1 raptors. Uniformed indeed!
Two friends had Gen1 Raptors and instead of going gen2 they went 250 platinums couple years ago. Yes, still uniformed....

The Raptor is meant for high speed dessert/off road racing. It does well in hill climbs as well.
The Tremor is a truck that can hill climb rock crawl run water and tow 15k lbs and haul 3k. No other oem truck does all this!
Dovefield

Don't move the goal post.......I know bad mouthed the tremor or @DriftwoodSVT , quiet the opposite actually. In your original post you said save time and money ask driftwoodsvt as to say all the raptor EcoBoost motors were unreliable and I stated that wasn't a fact. It was a problem with his because it was an 18 and it was common. OP isn't looking at an 18 he is looking at a 2020 so therefore the issues you say to ask driftwoodsvt about is a moot point.

Your original post was not about towing 15k or hauling 3k which is all a valid reason to get a F250 over a raptor. You went straight to reliability and left it at that ......so like I said, don't move the goal point when I prove you wrong

kaz109

Established Member

When I tweet drive the raptor for the first time my wife and I drove her Audi Q8 with a weistec tune (420hp 480tq) which is by NO means an alpha gtr lol but the raptor did feel sluggish to me coming out of my wife's car but like I said sport mode and 91oct or better make a huge difference.

You would know if it had the recaro package because the seats have blue alcantera vs stock seats have all black full leather

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Get the Tremor!! Save some money and headaches! Ask @DriftwoodSVT.
Clarifying:
Tremor is less money(7.3) and will give you less headaches and more durability than the gen2 Raptor.
Raptor high speed off road.
Tremor off road and truck work.

Dovefield
I did mention the Raptor will do awesome off road. Hill climb/rocks.

It is called Normal...it also has a Rock Crawl mode. I get it, you ordered a Tremor and are cupping the balls pretty hard. But what about it makes it more capable off-road?
2 friends with gen1 chose the 17/18 250 platinum over the gen2.
Multiple threads on the Tremor forum of people jumping off the 3.5 gen2 Raptor.
Other gen2 owners selling and buying gen1 again.

Who’s cupping what balls?

Don't move the goal post.......I know bad mouthed the tremor or @DriftwoodSVT , quiet the opposite actually. In your original post you said save time and money ask driftwoodsvt as to say all the raptor EcoBoost motors were unreliable and I stated that wasn't a fact. It was a problem with his because it was an 18 and it was common. OP isn't looking at an 18 he is looking at a 2020 so therefore the issues you say to ask driftwoodsvt about is a moot point.

Your original post was not about towing 15k or hauling 3k which is all a valid reason to get a F250 over a raptor. You went straight to reliability and left it at that ......so like I said, don't move the goal point when I prove you wrong
How did you prove me wrong? You never mentioned how the 19/20 3.5 is different or more reliable.

What does that have to do with off-road capability?
I’m guessing if it’s at the dealer for warranty work it may be a bit difficult to drive off road.

Now doubt high speed off road gen1/2 Raptor is where it’s at. For off road and truck stuff you can’t beat the Tremor!

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Clarifying:
Tremor is less money(7.3) and will give you less headaches and more durability than the gen2 Raptor.

How did you prove me wrong? You never mentioned how the 19/20 3.5 is different or more reliable.

I’m guessing if it’s at the dealer for warranty work it may be a bit difficult to drive off road.

Now doubt high speed off road gen1/2 Raptor is where it’s at. For off road and truck stuff you can’t beat the Tremor!
ill come back later for a better response...I have had my truck for over 2 years and it has been at the dealer for warranty/recall work <24 hrs.

kaz109

Established Member
@ON D BIT like I said before, you can't say less headache and more durability over a 2020 raptor because all the issues you are pointing to ARE NOT issues on a 2020 which is what OP is asking questions about. So yes, I did prove you wrong.

I don't think you understand what moving the goal post means. You are trying to debate two completely different topics. You start with durability to justify a tremor then back to up with it being more of a work truck that can tow and haul more. Two completely different topics.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
ill come back later for a better response...I have had my truck for over 2 years and it has been at the dealer for warranty/recall work <24 hrs.
Awesome!

I am going by what I know from what other owners have told me.

@ON D BIT like I said before, you can't say less headache and more durability over a 2020 raptor because all the issues you are pointing to ARE NOT issues on a 2020 which is what OP is asking questions about. So yes, I did prove you wrong.

I don't think you understand what moving the goal post means. You are trying to debate two completely different topics. You start with durability to justify a tremor then back to up with it being more of a work truck that can tow and haul more. Two completely different topics.
You have failed to share how the 20 3.5 is different or more reliable. I’ll wait.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Gen 2 Raptors are far and beyond what the Gen 1 was. What a load of BS that people are selling gen 2's back for a Gen 1... Those are people that couldn't afford the payment and had to make up an excuse.

Why the hell a Raptor and a Tremor even get compared is idiotic

Yes gen 2 technology wise is much above gen 1. Gen 1 still a drivers truck.

Believe what you want but there have been a good amount of people that went back to gen 1. Preference i guess.

Why would the raptor and tremor not be compared? They Aim at similar buyers.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Gen 2 Raptors are far and beyond what the Gen 1 was. What a load of BS that people are selling gen 2's back for a Gen 1... Those are people that couldn't afford the payment and had to make up an excuse.

Says the people selling their Raptors for Tremors. Maybe they can’t afford the payments either?

We all understand go fast off road choose Raptor.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

How would you know? You cant say none of the issues dont exists.

The same issue thats started since day one still exists. The sound of the v6.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Because cool factor and mall crawling. 9 times out of 10 If I meet another Raptor owner (Gen1/2) on the street they look at me crazy as **** when I invite them to an off-road event. People literally just see cool looking "lifted" trucks between the two.

Clarifying:

You're cupping the Tremors balls. The Godzilla is in its first year of production, how do you know it is crazy reliable? I'm guessing your friends where trying to buy a truck in 17/18? The fact that Raptors were "hard" to come by at MSRP during that time frame probably played a role. Also did they even use their gen 1 for their intended purpose?
Awesome!

I am going by what I know from what other owners have told me.

You have failed to share how the 20 3.5 is different or more reliable. I’ll wait.
Revised parts for the cam phaser, timing chain, etc. Hell, they did a mid year parts change on the 18. Went from the plastic composite oil pan (@DriftwoodSVT had that pan) to a metal oil pan, which mine has.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
How would you know? You cant say none of the issues dont exists.

The same issue thats started since day one still exists. The sound of the v6.
A quick search showed no results.
I found 150 3.5 v Raptor 3.5.
I found 18 Raptor v 19 Raptor suspension differences live valve shocks.
I did not find Raptor 3.5 differences between 18 v 19 or 20....

I still waiting....

Users who are viewing this thread