Test drove a ST today.........

wheelspin

Established Member
If you hammered the 1-2 shift and didn't turn off the traction control, what you likely heard were the brakes slamming on. A loud "clunk" just after hammering into second. This is the ECU trying to shut down the wheel spin and keep it pointing straight. Sort of just as you feel the power hit the pavement, it almost sounds like a swaybar clunk when a link is bad.
That also makes a huge dent in power-feel for gear 1 and 2, as it will toast the front tires through both... It feels like a totally different car with it off to me. And with stabilitrack in sport or off, it is a super neutral handler. Put it right on the edge on a long sweeper and it will 4 wheel drift, if you work the throttle on and off it will tail out a little. It's one of the best handling little 4 doors I have ever driven. It feels smaller than it is, it feels like a MINI Cooper S does.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
focus is a small car. logic suggests that small car and big guy is going to be a tough fit. i am 5-6 and 175. i race a mustang in a racetech head restraint standard size seat. the recaros fit me just fine.

aaandht

Established Member
If you hammered the 1-2 shift and didn't turn off the traction control, what you likely heard were the brakes slamming on. A loud "clunk" just after hammering into second. This is the ECU trying to shut down the wheel spin and keep it pointing straight. Sort of just as you feel the power hit the pavement, it almost sounds like a swaybar clunk when a link is bad.
That also makes a huge dent in power-feel for gear 1 and 2, as it will toast the front tires through both... It feels like a totally different car with it off to me. And with stabilitrack in sport or off, it is a super neutral handler. Put it right on the edge on a long sweeper and it will 4 wheel drift, if you work the throttle on and off it will tail out a little. It's one of the best handling little 4 doors I have ever driven. It feels smaller than it is, it feels like a MINI Cooper S does.

Not really:

cp-e investigates the "1-2 bang"

And because everyone loves videos:

COBB Tuning Rear Motor Mount Video

wheelspin

Established Member
^ Great info! That blows my assumption from the test drive I took that it was the E-diff out of the water. heh heh.
I had assumed my no lift shift was making the E-diff work overtime. Seems like a huge market for a poly motor mount just opened up! :)

Observations of the driving difference with traction control off from the 1 drive I have taken in it are still valid though. It feels really weak sauce with it on.

wheelspin

Established Member
After checking out those videos, I would be willing to bet that Cobb mount would improve front grip under hard acceleration as well, by taming engine that much engine movement.

jonb347

Established Member
i skipped a lot of these posts so if anyone has stated already, sorry. first of all, coming from cobras and bosses and whatnot will always make these feel slow. there is nothing like a RWD V8 especially with boost. I have an st on order and have driven several, including the one we have in stock with a few customers. the seats are great if you get used to them. many people say they break in and/or get used to them. they are supposed to be snug, thats the point. I am 200 lbs and 5'10" and love them. my fiance is 5 5 and loves them too. and on the mazdaspeed 3 and gti, I have driven both that are owned by friends and neither compares at all. the ST handles better than ALL by far and is pretty much the same as the MS3 for power.

again, keep in mind nothing will feel like your boss. also, a tune from torrie makes it even crazier and would fix your problems. sounds like you need a 200a and a tune.

barstoolman

Established Member
My son just traded out of his 2011 Mustang GT Track-Pack and into the ST primarily due to the money he was dumping into gas purchases. For sure, you cannot compare the two cars but the savings alone on gas make this car very interesting and I must say, other than the Recaros being really snug, unless you weigh around 100 lbs, this car is a blast to drive.

For those guys with stripped down 5.0s and think their car is a better buy, let's meet out at Willow Springs sometime, either at the small track or the Horse Thief Mile and let's see who's zooming who..........you'll go home embarrassed, having to tell your friends a Focus bit you in the ass.:beer:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
My son just traded out of his 2011 Mustang GT Track-Pack and into the ST primarily due to the money he was dumping into gas purchases. For sure, you cannot compare the two cars but the savings alone on gas make this car very interesting and I must say, other than the Recaros being really snug, unless you weigh around 100 lbs, this car is a blast to drive.

For those guys with stripped down 5.0s and think their car is a better buy, let's meet out at Willow Springs sometime, either at the small track or the Horse Thief Mile and let's see who's zooming who..........you'll go home embarrassed, having to tell your friends a Focus bit you in the ass.:beer:

I'm looking to do the same thing, but for different reasons. I need to be able to fit two car seats in my car, and the 2011GT doesn't float that boat. I'm a bit bummed about it too, because I love my 5.0, but family comes first.

Having said that, I test drove an ST on Monday. I'm 5' 11", 200lbs, and I fit ok. The seats were tight, but not uncomfortably so. The problem I had was finding a comfortable driving position...the cockpit is kind of tight, and the ST2 I test drove didn't have any adjustments on the drivers seat. I'm going on Saturday to test drive an ST3 which does have a 6 way power seat, and I'm hoping I can find a comfortable angle with that one. While the car certainly isn't fast, it was very entertaining to drive. I'll put a small thing up after I have a chance to spend some time with it on Saturday, including how well my kid fit.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
They adjust, seat back forward-backward and seat bottom up and down and of course the whole seat forward and back

Where? My time with the car was short, and it was dark so admittedly I didn't spend much time looking. But usually the tilt adjustment for the bottom of the seat is on the side, and when I stuck my hand down there the only thing I could find was the leaver to recline it.

That was probably my biggest gripe with the car, was the angle on the seat was killing my right knee. I only drove it for about 10 minutes and my knee already hurt when I got out.

I'm still hung up on an ST3 though, only because I want full leather. With little kids, it's just sooo much easier to clean up. Speaking of kids, anyone here try fitting two car seats into one of these things yet? That's going to be my task at the dealer on Saturday. That little ditty right there is why the 5.0 has to go :-/.

2004Droptop

Established Member
Actually the back forward-backward adjustment is sort of hidden, the up and down is on a lever on the side. If I remember I will take a pic tomorrow... but it pobably does not matter.

I am sure you will like the ST3 and leather is easier to keep clean with kids. I have sat in one at the dealer, didn't even move it, but hot as hell here in the summer so I would rather not have all leather. I have put the car seat in the back of mine, just one though but no problems there.

I also think you will like the ST, pretty good handling little car with good power for what it is.

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Actually the back forward-backward adjustment is sort of hidden, the up and down is on a lever on the side. If I remember I will take a pic tomorrow... but it pobably does not matter.

I am sure you will like the ST3 and leather is easier to keep clean with kids. I have sat in one at the dealer, didn't even move it, but hot as hell here in the summer so I would rather not have all leather. I have put the car seat in the back of mine, just one though but no problems there.

I also think you will like the ST, pretty good handling little car with good power for what it is.

yeah, it kind of reminded me of driving a go-kart. My last 3 cars have now gotten progressively slower...I went from a 2.4kb equipped 03 cobra to a 2011 GT, and now a 2013 Focus ST. I thought it was supposed to work the other way around..lol.

I'm coming around to the idea of unloading the 5.0, I'll miss the car for sure, but thinking about getting in an accident with my kid trapped behind me serves as a good reminder of why I need to sell it.

But anyway, I'd post the pic. I've been looking online for pictures of the bottoms of the seats and nobody has taken any. Everyone cuts off shots of the car around the height of the shifter so you can't see the seat controls. Someone else probably has the same questions I did, and although you just answered them, pictures never hurt.

If I get one, probably the first venture I'm going to dive into is trying to figure out how to get the backup camera from a Titanium model to work..I imagine that the hook up is back there already, but nobody has looked yet. I'm really annoyed that the car doesn't have a backup camera as an option. My kid and dog love to leave crap right behind the car, and I've come to rely on having that camera there.

2004Droptop

Established Member
Seat adjustment pics

Back adjustment
image_zps000a4b70.jpg
[/IMG]
Seat bottom
image_zps82ca898a.jpg
[/IMG]

image_zps8c3659ff.jpg
[/IMG]

snakecharmer

Established Member
I haven't driven one, but have sat in several and also found the seats to be extremely uncomfortable. The entire driving position feels wrong and the lack of adjustabilty is disappoining. I like the car but would not buy it soley because the seats suck.

2004Droptop

Established Member
I haven't driven one, but have sat in several and also found the seats to be extremely uncomfortable. The entire driving position feels wrong and the lack of adjustabilty is disappoining. I like the car but would not buy it soley because the seats suck.

They are adjustable! What are u looking for? Seat back is adjustable, seat height is adjustable and of course they slide forward and backward...but if they don't work for you it is what it is. :shrug:

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member

I'd love to take my ST out there if you take your sons sometime. Usually I'm out playing around with my Mustangs but the ST seems like it would be a blast at HTM or Streets.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member

That was my problem, I couldn't adjust the angle on the bottom seat cushion. It was reclined back to far for me. However, the ST3 model has 6 way power, and should solve that issue.

They are adjustable! What are u looking for? Seat back is adjustable, seat height is adjustable and of course they slide forward and backward...but if they don't work for you it is what it is. :shrug:

Thanks for the pic, I put my hand down and found the lever, and just assumed that was for the recline of the back. Because the car I drove already had the seat reclined where I like it, I didn't touch it. Does that lever just raise/lower the entire seat, or does it change the angle of the bottom?

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Man i second the back up camera idea, sort of what the heck were they thinking. For the $ it should be in there with nav. I will take a few pics tomorrow.

Well that will be my first project with this thing if I get one. I'll get a price on the titanium backup camera, then see if I can find the hookup behind the hatch panel. I'd be shocked if it wasn't there. I can't see how ford would make a one off wiring harness for the ST model that will only be around for a year before they have to put the backup camera in. I just have to believe it's the same interior harness as the titanium, which means that hookup is back there (or in the car at least) somewhere.

2004Droptop

Established Member
That was my problem, I couldn't adjust the angle on the bottom seat cushion. It was reclined back to far for me. However, the ST3 model has 6 way power, and should solve that issue.

Thanks for the pic, I put my hand down and found the lever, and just assumed that was for the recline of the back. Because the car I drove already had the seat reclined where I like it, I didn't touch it. Does that lever just raise/lower the entire seat, or does it change the angle of the bottom?

Lever raises or lowers the beck part of the seat cushion. Imagine the front part is on a hinge so the back part raises, less of angle of the bottom seat cushion.... I have sat in a 3 but did not play wih the seat controls but I am positive it has more adjustment just not sure which way.

Users who are viewing this thread