Testing a car battery with my Digital Multimeter

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Guys,
Just wanted to clarify that I'm doing this right.
I'm trying to test my car battery for my dad and I swear my multimeter is not working correct.
I hook up the red to the positive, black to the negative, and I turn the multimeter to the below setting indicated in the picture. 20V
All I get is .5 constantly. Do I have this on the correct setting b/c I used to get anywhere from 12.5-14V when I used the multimeter a while back.
Thanks SVTPerf

DSCF0900.jpg

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Is it in a/c mode? and what are you testing? All that will show you is if a cell has shorted out. You need to load test.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
your meter is set to AC volts, a car battery is DC. but like he said, this will only measure the resting voltage...

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Is it in a/c mode? and what are you testing? All that will show you is if a cell has shorted out. You need to load test.

Just doing a quick volt test that's all, and perhaps testing the volts with the lights/AC, etc on.
I think I had it in DC mode accidently, as it didn't show it was either AC or DC.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
it does show that it's in AC. do you see the ~ symbol by the V? that is the symbol for alternating current (AC).

Yeah it do...it's like it wont read anything...batteries are good.
So to clarify, I need to be in AC, with 20V and mustache symbol, lol

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Well DC no dice...the meter is a POS I guess...I just wanted to confirm this before I get another one. Sorry if I had it backwards, I read to quickly and got AC/DC mixed up. I'm on Wikepedia trying to learn about this stuff as it's all foreign to me, lol
Thanks, SVTperf

YJSONLY

Established Member
In most cases...

AC= House power ie... A light socket
DC= Car Power ie.... Battery

YOu need to load test it.... Take it to auto store and most will do it for you

cotchnobra

Established Member
To test the meter leads turn the knob to 200 Ohms. The section where the horseshoe symbol is. It should read anywhere under 1 on the display. if that is good turn it to 200 Volts and make sure the A/C-D/C switch at the top is pushed in then put the leads into a wall socket. doesn't matter which one is in which hole. it will just have a negative sign next to the number read out if the leads are backwards. you should read around 115v. If you get nothing then the meter is probably shot. If you what a good meter look for a Fluke.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
You need to post a better picture. It could be that you have the leads plugged into the Current/AMP sockets instead of the Volt/Ohm sockets as well.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
to test the meter leads turn the knob to 200 ohms. The section where the horseshoe symbol is. It should read anywhere under 1 on the display.

This worked!

If that is good turn it to 200 volts and make sure the a/c-d/c switch at the top is pushed in then put the leads into a wall socket. Doesn't matter which one is in which hole. It will just have a negative sign next to the number read out if the leads are backwards. You should read around 115v.

When i do this, i get 2.0, :shrug:

If you get nothing then the meter is probably shot. If you what a good meter look for a fluke.

i'm guessing the meter is shot!

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
You could try taking the batteries out of it and see it that resets the logic. Also, sounds like you don't have a user guide for it...maybe you can find one online.

Users who are viewing this thread