Testing COPs

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Hey guys, I made the switch to COPS. Last trip to the track the car seemed to fall flat on the top end even though it was a nice night at the track. Car lost several MPH on the top end. Any way to check the COP's? They are used and I have no idea how many miles they have on the but I am thinking they may need to be replaced, at least some of them.

1989Gt.

Banned
Ohm meter check for continuity between the two prongs where they plug in should have high resistance. I think like 10k ohms something like that

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
used the harness made by a member here. I have a feeling the cops just might be tired, my concern is determining if they will show a lower resistance when tired compared to new?

1989Gt.

Banned
There is a certain range that they should be in look it up. If its in that range they are good

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
nope it is not skipping, car just isn't pulling like it was in the top end, fuel filter was changed within the last 3-4 thousand miles, likely much less. Car doesn't miss just feels like it was missing power.

tt54l32v

Established Member
Do you still have imrc's? If so check to see if they are opening. Also check fuel pressure. Does it have cats?

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
Some thoughts that I have based upon my understanding of the number of channels. I could be wrong, if anyone knows specifics feel free to correct me and provide input.

IIRC, the cars that came with COPS were 8 channel. The coil pack cars were 4 channel and hence required a waste spark.

when the COPS car was spinning to 7000 rpm, the plug was fired 3,500 times. Once for each power stroke.

When a coil pack car was spinning to 7,000 rpm the plug was fired for 7000 times. Once for each power stroke and once for each intake stroke.

When you swapped to the COP, you still have 4 channels and are still attempting to fire the plug 7000 times on a part that normally didn't fire half of that. Perhaps the COP can't keep up with that rate?

I don't know if my thoughts are accurate, but merely a theory. I'm not attempting to bash the members kit that is advertised on the board. I think it cleans up the bay pretty well.

Again, input would be welcome.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
sorry I have been missing for a bit:

No cats no sai all turned of in the tune.

NO IMRC- they have been turned off and the timing bumped to accommodate

Fuel pressure has not been checked, maybe one of the injectors is getting clogged. Whats the best way to check fuel pressure? I feel like a noob today.

I haven't checked for vacuum leaks, but could be it is only really bad at the higher rpms. I will put that on my list as maybe one of the seals on the valve covers are not sealing right.

Could be a tune problem though, I remember I ran both tunes street and strip and had little difference that night. Could have been an off night but I just don't think so, everyone else was running faster that night.

Interesting idea workman, not sure I have no clue on that kinda stuff. See my main concern is I have C-heads waiting to go on and I am in a debate as to get them on or see if I can diagnose the problem first if there is one. If I do the C-heads I will be getting a new tune so that will tell me if I am having issues I guess. I would just prefer to look at all factors beforehand to attempt a good outcome in the end. I hate changing stuff when things could be wrong.

Some of the other changes I am making this year/have made is I will be running skinnys and some serious tire plus just have 4.30s and the rear all built up. So if the car gets slower I may be peeved.

So many damn things to investigate now

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread