Thanks for the replies

Justin Blackwell

Established Member
I posted a thread in here a while back about detonation with my '96 GT. Well I installed some new plugs in it that one of ya'll recommended and it has went away. The mods I have is 6# Vortech, TRW dished pistons, conical filter, Borla cat back, and found out I have 4.30 gears. I went to the track this last weekend and pulled off a 13.45 @ 102 w/ slicks. There was no traction whatsoever, since the track was so cold. I pulled slicks off and put my street tires back on and rolled off the line and managed a best of 13.79 @ 104. The mph. is good, I just need some traction. I figured a sticky track w/ slicks I should be looking at 13.20's. I really need to change to 4.10's, because at the 1/4 mile traps I am running 5,900 rpms in 4th gear.(5spd)
The 4.30's I think are slowing me down up top.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
I'm glad the plugs helped with the detonation. You may want to try the EDIS coil pack. With them you could gap the plugs out a little more and get a few more ponies maybe. Also make sure the slicks you are using are 26 inchers. If they are 28's it is changing your gear ratio for the worse.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Geeeez! 5900rpms in fourth? I have a 3.27 and I shift into fourth right after I cross the trap. I shift right at 6200. What a difference gears make.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
You may want to take a piece of tape and stipe the tire and rim. You could also use window dial-in. The point is to make a stripe from the center of the wheel to the edge of the tire to check and see if the slicks are spinning on the rim. That will kill you off the line and on the 2nd shift at least.

Users who are viewing this thread