the 1/4...how to launch

Gambinotdx

Established Member
well i'm going to englishtown soon and i'm going to be doing the 1/4 mile (officially timed hehe) for my first time ever. i'm curious as to the best way to launch. i figured 1800rpms would be decent? how high do you guys hold it at when launching without spinning them? thanks...

captainoblivious

Slow Vehicles in Training
Established Member
Jon - good luck launching from 1800 rpm's on street tires, just don't be surprised when you have more wheel spin then forward motion.

I'm one of the last peope who should give advice about launching because I suck it, and Jim rags on me all the time at the track about it.

Heres what helps me out, lower tire pressure to about 28lbs in the rear, do burnout just til the tires start smoking, when you stage do a shallow stage, brake up to 1000 rpm's, right at the last yellow light on the tree take your foot off the brake and feather the gas til you know you won't spin, then gun it.

It takes practice, don't get discouraged.

Gambinotdx

Established Member
i hear ya

they'll spin even at 1800?? i have brand new tires...1500 miles on them...and i heard about you! blowin the damn muffler off half way down the track! hehehe do you have a video of that? oh well...i better practice my burnouts too!! :burnout: :D God i love this truck!!!!! thanks for the advice man...see ya later...

captainoblivious

Established Member
Re: i hear ya

Originally posted by Gambinotdx
...and i heard about you! blowin the damn muffler off half way down the track! ...
Thats what I'm known for. I think I've done it 4 or 5 times know. Can't wait to get the whole exhaust :D

And yes you will spin the tires at 1800 rpm launches. Do this, find an empty road or go to woodbridge mall at night and launch on the street from 1800 and you'll see what I mean. The amount of tq these trucks put down, even new stock, is enough to cremate the tires. And another thing, englishtown is only a little stickier then normal roads around here. So you can practice launching on empty roads.

As for burnouts, just brake and give it some gas. The truck will take care of the rest:thumbsup:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Jon, the captain is right. I used just about the method he described to you and went 12.61 @ 109.

It is a lot of practice, plus the whole Christmas tree lighting is different if you arent used to it. I sat on the side lines just watching the Tree and practicing my timing with my foot on the ground.

The more you do it the better you get.

Gambinotdx

Established Member
ah yes so they DO spin at 1800 rpms hehehe well i was going to run april 7th. is anyone else on here going then? it'll be my first time at the track doing the 1/4 mile so i freakin better practice my $hit! its supposedly the import survival series part 2. i think we should get the Ls up and representing! hehe lemme know..later! :burnout:

captainoblivious

Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
Dude,

ETown has more rice then the Chinese Restuarant:gt:
:lol: :bash: :lol:

Jon - aside from practice, the next best thing to do is go up to the track when Jim is there, that way if you do bad he'll give you some pointers, then rag on you forever. It'll motivate you to do better:beer:

VINMAN

Established Member
Gambinotdx

And anybody else going to E-town April 7th.
IMPORT VEHICLES ONLY FOR DRAG RACING
This is right out of the 2002 season schedule.
There will be an "Import&lowrider car,truck&bicycle show"
This is one day I will NOT be there.

VINNIE

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Re: Gambinotdx

Originally posted by VINMAN
And anybody else going to E-town April 7th.
IMPORT VEHICLES ONLY FOR DRAG RACING
This is right out of the 2002 season schedule.
There will be an "Import&lowrider car,truck&bicycle show"
This is one day I will NOT be there.

VINNIE

Oh Come on Vinny,

We can call it "Rag on Rice Day!!!":thumbsup:

No, I will not be attending.

VINMAN

Established Member
Fordsvtfan

Your right, I should go to E-town april 7th.I always wanted to see what 60 ft. times the schwinn lowrider chopper bicycles get.LOL

VINNIE

BTW -Sorry about bad motor info.The motor in classifieds was a reg. 5.4.My bad.

Gambinotdx

Established Member
oh man its import racing ONLY?! damn it. well i'll still pull into the parking lot in my L and laugh at everyone in there (except for that son of a b!tch!n grey 10 sec twin turbo supra. :cuss: i gotta go though cause i'm meeting a bunch of my friends there. i'm not sure they realize that it's all rice though :rolleyes: damn them :gt: ok later...:burnout:

captainoblivious

Established Member
Originally posted by Gambinotdx
... (except for that son of a b!tch!n grey 10 sec twin turbo supra. :cuss:...
I just found out last night that my g/f bestfriends b/f has a high11/low12 sec 300zx. And it's still stock looking:dw: I've also got a Supra near my house but it got riced out so I don't which model it is.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Re: Fordsvtfan

Originally posted by VINMAN
Your right, I should go to E-town april 7th.I always wanted to see what 60 ft. times the schwinn lowrider chopper bicycles get.LOL

VINNIE

BTW -Sorry about bad motor info.The motor in classifieds was a reg. 5.4.My bad.

Vinnie, never a problem.

I will tell you that some of the launches that those Schwinns get off are better than most of the rice drivers I've seen.

I think in all their excitement to tune up the pitch on their "Fart Cans" and to shine up their "Pea Green" paint, they forget to feed the gerbils under the hood.:eek: :rolling:

stimpn8r

Established Member
Sushi Rice

:burn: Let's all pool our $ Get one of those Sean Hyland 1000hp 5.4's. Put it in a Lightning and capaign it as a "true rice burner". We can all take turns all over the country. Of course we would have to back half the L and put some serious meat under it! : Hmmmmmmmm..................... what an idea. Anyone making a weld in rear section with maybe a 4.88 9" 4 link.:burnout: :idea::-:-D

Gambinotdx

Established Member
captain!

captain that 300ZX you're talking about...that wouldn't happen to be white with white wheels would it? if i recall correctly i KNOW there is a 300ZX at e-town i've seen that is white with i think white wheels. it wasn't doing too bad at all! i wonder if that's the same person... :dw:

Gambinotdx

Established Member
DOH!

DOH! so much for that hehe i tried! i'll be at e-town all day saturday and sunday...i'm REALLY lookin forward to this weekend! hehe :beer:

Lightning Bob

Established Member
Lightning Bob Might Come!

Hey guys,

I'm off to see the wizard (Jim@JDM) this Wednesday, and plan to be there at least through Saturday. I hope to get to E-Town Friday night or Saturday to try out the new mods and tuning. I was out there last year at the same time and attended the Import Show with Jim and his son (Beemer Boy). Not my bag, but it was something to see. Some of those guys have lots of cash to spend. There were a lot of imports attending which could blow the doors off of our Lightnings. I also saw some gold plated "Schwinn lowrider chopper bicycles". Before then, I wouldn't have known what Vinman was talking about.

Hope to run into some of you guys there.

Users who are viewing this thread