The 351 big bore/stroker kit lives!

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
A couple years ago, Wiseco introduced a 351 big bore/stroker kit for the coyote 302 at the PRI show. But nothing ever came of it afterwards. No tests, no videos, no articles, nothing.

I was lucky enough to have obtained a pass to this year's PRI show in Orlando and when I stopped by the Wiseco booth, I decided to ask them about it.

Turns out, they had the rotating assembly on display. I asked one of the guys what took so long, and he said there were some additional designs they needed to incorporate into the piston and crank, but it was currently undergoing testing in JPC's race car. With a YSi trim, it was making upwards of 1150 RWHP.

They said they are still doing some durability testing, but it should be released around April 2012.

That's something to look forward to!

I'll post some pictures later.

Homer

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
Hmm a 351...

I wonder how snappy the motor will be with the additional stroke.

I love my 8000rpm redline but aboss 351 would be bananas :banana:

Prototype007

Established Member
This would be awesome, but I'd say they will probably hold out until race seasons over with and they are done with their own test car.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
This kit never existed in production form, none were ever made and even if they did the rod ratio and bore thickness would not hold up for long. It appears as though the MMR 5.2 liter is about as big as you can go while still being reliable.

Modular Mustang Racing

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I read somewhere that Saleen is will finally be bringing back the s351 after a 14 year hiatus. It won't have a Windsor motor. It won't have a Trinity motor. The new s351 will be Coyote powered. If anyone can find more info on this, please share it!

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
MMR has been in meetings for the last 2 months with Saleen and its engineers, they were sold on the 351 design from the same people that displayed the engine at PRI a while back, long story short the company could not deliver on the engine, it was a mechanical nightmare with horrible rod ratio and ring land spacing. We have been working with them on some alternatives but the specs have not yet been finalized and will be released by them once a final decision has been made later this year.

americansteel

Banned
and why have the companies been ignoring a very viable candidate? the 6.2? come on the cubic inches alone should be enough for mustang a motor option!

hitmix300

Established Member
and why have the companies been ignoring a very viable candidate? the 6.2? come on the cubic inches alone should be enough for mustang a motor option!
fitting that larger motor into a mustang chassis would be hell. did you forget that the 6.2 boss block isn't aluminum?

americansteel

Banned
fitting that larger motor into a mustang chassis would be hell. did you forget that the 6.2 boss block isn't aluminum?
the 6.2l sits right in the engine bay with no problems. also the 6.2l weigh's less than the current 5.8l GT500 motor. aluminum engine block would be nice for a 6.2l unfortunately that wont happen unless an aftermarket vendor steps up. btw im in process of swapping one in my crown vic.

grnenvy

Established Member
Hmm

Hmm don't forget if u add a blower setup on the 6.2 your adding another 120lbs. I love the mod motors and Ford finally figured them out but they are heavy and big. I'm wondering if Ford should have stayed with the push rod motor like GM did. All those extra cams and chains get heavy and the heads there bigger then 460 Big Block heads. I did a built MMR motor in my car a couple months back and I couldn't believe how big this motor is compared to the old PR 5.0.

the 6.2l sits right in the engine bay with no problems. also the 6.2l weigh's less than the current 5.8l GT500 motor. aluminum engine block would be nice for a 6.2l unfortunately that wont happen unless an aftermarket vendor steps up. btw im in process of swapping one in my crown vic.

Last edited:

americansteel

Banned
Hmm don't forget if u add a blower setup on the 6.2 your adding another 120lbs. I love the mod motors and Ford finally figured them out but they are heavy and big. I'm wondering if Ford should have stayed with the push rod motor like GM did. All those extra cams and chains get heavy and the heads there bigger then 460 Big Block heads. I did a built MMR motor in my car a couple months back and I couldn't believe how big this motor is compared to the old PR 5.0.

IMG_20110305_153227.jpg

this is what a 6.2l in a 2010 mustang looks like! pauls high performance. I talked to the owner about this setup. with extensive tuning and custom cams with fox lake ported heads paul got it to 10 seconds with out nitrous. this is with the factory truck intake manifold which in its self is very restrictive for RPM use in racing. the 6.2l cam covers alone are massive the truck intake is designed for use with long runner's and short duration cam shafts to make low RPM power and torque. weighs under 600LBS the 5.0 weighs 444lbs. I love OHC engine designs but what I don't love is that ford's engines use tiny bore's except for the 6.2l. I completed my crown vic project with fabbed cam cover and of course a intake for street use in a car the result was smaller package than what ford offers in the raptor and super duty trucks. 4 valve and 3 valve heads only showed what the problem that was ford's easy answer to making power with out having to make an new engine, yet what happened? mustangs were still getting beat by LS equipped cars. with my 6.2l and other 6.2l engines I have built i get more power out of the 6.2l than a stroked 351 Windsor. i did a comparison test a 383 Windsor PR against the 6.2l at 379cubic inches same cam shaft grinds at .510 lift and 236 duration both using 10;1 CR and 105MM TB's the 6.2l out powered the 383 by 61HP. sorry i had to re edit. a blower for a 6.2l is around 100 pounds you are right but the benefit of the extra cubic inches and forced induction is a lot more than what a 5.0 could make with the same boost level. im glad ford went to OHC engines i just wish they were engineered better and had bigger bores. of course there would be no need for 4 valve heads. and to me ford wasted money on the modular engine program.

Last edited:

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
IMG_20110305_153227.jpg

this is what a 6.2l in a 2010 mustang looks like! pauls high performance. I talked to the owner about this setup. with extensive tuning and custom cams with fox lake ported heads paul got it to 10 seconds with out nitrous. this is with the factory truck intake manifold which in its self is very restrictive for RPM use in racing. the 6.2l cam covers alone are massive the truck intake is designed for use with long runner's and short duration cam shafts to make low RPM power and torque. weighs under 600LBS the 5.0 weighs 444lbs. I love OHC engine designs but what I don't love is that ford's engines use tiny bore's except for the 6.2l. I completed my crown vic project with fabbed cam cover and of course a intake for street use in a car the result was smaller package than what ford offers in the raptor and super duty trucks. 4 valve and 3 valve heads only showed what the problem that was ford's easy answer to making power with out having to make an new engine, yet what happened? mustangs were still getting beat by LS equipped cars. with my 6.2l and other 6.2l engines I have built i get more power out of the 6.2l than a stroked 351 Windsor. i did a comparison test a 383 Windsor PR against the 6.2l at 379cubic inches same cam shaft grinds at .510 lift and 236 duration both using 10;1 CR and 105MM TB's the 6.2l out powered the 383 by 61HP. sorry i had to re edit. a blower for a 6.2l is around 100 pounds you are right but the benefit of the extra cubic inches and forced induction is a lot more than what a 5.0 could make with the same boost level. im glad ford went to OHC engines i just wish they were engineered better and had bigger bores. of course there would be no need for 4 valve heads. and to me ford wasted money on the modular engine program.

Holy mother of God. Ford said that motor wouldnt fit into the mustang chassis. What's up now?? Does Kenne Bell or anyone else make a supercharger kit for it? If so, a PD blower comes with a lower intake and they are probably the only aftermarket lower intakes available for that motor. They could either install a PD blower on it, or use just the lower intake for the intercooler, while running a centri or turbos.. Then just fabricate a sheet metal upper. Similar to what the 03/04 Cobra people did when swapping on turbos or a centri.

Ford claims a massive investment in the 100mm bore center engine configuration which is why they have stuck with it for so long, but then they go out and make the 6.2L engine. How much did they invest in that? Why don't they get their money out of the investment they made in the tooling to make the 6.2L based bore center engine configuration and start using it to make some other engine designs with larger bore centers than the existing modular engines????

The DOHC 4.6 used to be a biiig motor. But they were able to make a more compact DOHC version with the coyote. Anything is possible.

The 4.6/5.4/5.8 non coyote based motors are starting to get a little long in the tooth, especially the DOHC head design they are using in the GT500 5.8 motor. Same basic head design as my 99 Cobra. They need another large displacement motor to replace that eventually.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
MMR's Billet Block is in its final stages of development, it is available with a crankshaft and deck combination to produce up to 380ci. A cast version may follow but look for our press release for this in the upcoming months. If you are looking for something now MMR offers the 5.0 and 5.2 version along with the MMR Pro Mod Sleeves, MMR Coyote engines hold the current records in both NMRA coyote Modified and NMRA renegade along with the overall world record and 2014 NMRA Coyote Modified championship.

Last edited:

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Looking at doing a NA Coyote deal, I know this is an older thread, is there any more info out there on large stroked Coyote's

We offer 650-700 hp n/a Coyote engines.
This has proven to be an excellent platform to make good reliable power with a super broad power curve.
We can taylor the combo to your needs. If it's a street car, drag car or road racer your covered.
We achieve these #'s without changing the stroke of the engine.
These engines have proven to be powerhouses for the cubic inches.

Users who are viewing this thread