THE BEST rear tire for anti-wheel hop 500HP VERT ?????

digital911

Established Member
Looking for THE BEST tire for wheel hop reduction, 2004 vert 500HP. And it needs to be able to make it through a rain storm without hydroplaning off the road when "cruising" home.

My car is a daily driver, I don't care about how long the tire lasts. I just want the softest tire I can find, and that has a nice tread pattern for when it rains cause it rains a lot down here in the summer.

Hoping some of you would chime in on your personal experiences...

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
tire and rim will most certainly help the wheel hop tremendously. you go from a 275/40 goodyr street tire on a 17x9 rear rim and step up to a 315/35 nitto nt05 on a 17x10.5 rim and I promise you the car is going to wheel hop measurably less. better contact patch, softer material, heavier weight

and yes, i own a 500hp vert. that combo will rain drive very well

digital911

Established Member
tire and rim will most certainly help the wheel hop tremendously. you go from a 275/40 goodyr street tire on a 17x9 rear rim and step up to a 315/35 nitto nt05 on a 17x10.5 rim and I promise you the car is going to wheel hop measurably less. better contact patch, softer material, heavier weight

and yes, i own a 500hp vert. that combo will rain drive very well

thank you for your input, would that be the NT05 or NT05R ?

black03_cobra

Its just a convertible.
Established Member
A soft tire will definitely help, I am basically asking all vert owners in the 500hp or more neighborhood to say what rear tires they are running on the street AND what size, and if they think they have THE BEST.

ok ok i have a vert, but i have a sra :( just get some nittos 555rs 275/40 if you are running the factory 9.5in wheel. :D

Teej281

Established Member
A soft tire will definitely help, I am basically asking all vert owners in the 500hp or more neighborhood to say what rear tires they are running on the street AND what size, and if they think they have THE BEST.

I'm not in the 500rwhp area by any means, as I'm a GT owner with an IRS. But I must admit, with NT05's in 295/35-18 I still had wheel hop issues, and I have bushings, coilovers with bilstein hd's, and custom FLSFC's. Right now I'm running 335/30-18 Toyo RA1's and they havent really hopped on me yet, but its still cold out and they arent gripping hard yet. I dont know if the fact that they are 18" wheels with a 30 aspect ratio hinders things, but I'd say its a safe measure to stick with a 17" wheel with at least a 35 aspect ratio.

Overall, keep to a 17" wheel, use a soft compound tire, and make sure delrin bushings are in the stars for your car, as convertibles are far worse off than coupes. If anything, run these...

M&H Racemaster Drag Radial 325/45/17 [MH-325-45R-17] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

with a taller rear gear. The things that will help with hop are large sidewall, sticky compound, and a soft sidewall that will absorb shock of launching. Those are a 28" tall tire, so it would make your car act like its running 3.31's, so step up to something like a 3.73 or 3.90, and you'll be golden. Hope this helps some, even though its coming from a GT owner.

I would say give the 315/35-17 NT05's a try. My friend with a coupe uses them and he loves them. Might help too that they have a taller sidewall due to having 1" less diameter wheel. :beer:

He's talking the NT05, not the R model drag radial.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member

yes, just the "regular" 200 tread rated nt05 will work well. those channels really provide good rain driving. but it's soft enough and wide enough to plant power fairly well.

and yes i agree, just going to a 275/40 nitto 555r will help with the hop even on a 9" rim..... just not as much as getting a 10.5" replica rim and going with the 315s. thats the best bang for buck and improves cosmetic look of the rear as well (IMO)

IMG_2331.JPG

now, when you REALLY get serious and want to drop some coin, something like the CCW sp500s I have today with the 18x11 rear and a 315/35/18 toyo TQ dr you will go to another level. this setup is insane and drives/hooks awesome, but i can't comment on rain driving because this car is retired from DD use. probably would get scary, lol

IMG_3634.JPG

IMG_3562.JPG

digital911

Established Member
yes, just the "regular" 200 tread rated nt05 will work well. those channels really provide good rain driving. but it's soft enough and wide enough to plant power fairly well.

and yes i agree, just going to a 275/40 nitto 555r will help with the hop even on a 9" rim..... just not as much as getting a 10.5" replica rim and going with the 315s. thats the best bang for buck and improves cosmetic look of the rear as well (IMO)

IMG_2331.JPG

now, when you REALLY get serious and want to drop some coin, something like the CCW sp500s I have today with the 18x11 rear and a 315/35/18 toyo TQ dr you will go to another level. this setup is insane and drives/hooks awesome, but i can't comment on rain driving because this car is retired from DD use. probably would get scary, lol

IMG_3634.JPG

IMG_3562.JPG

Do you think the Proxes R888 are better than the TQ Dr, or anything Nitto has to offer? BTW, nice rims but that's out of my league!

GTIZZL

Established Member
I have the nt05r, in a 315 on the Oem rims. Also with an LPW Diff cover and my car doesn't wheel hop at all. I make 490/500. I wheel hopped a little bit until I put the cover on. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread