"the clunk" in 2004?

SlowSVT

Established Member
There is also a lot of slop in the front IRS sub-frame bolts. They were having a hard time on the assembly line installing the IRS due to the tolerance spread and asked if they could use smaller bolt to make lineing up the holes easier. Some cars have 14 mm bolts but most have 13 mm. When you apply reverse torque loads the suspension may rock a bit in the holes cuasing the clunk. My car does it some time but it seems less as I put more miles on it. Some guys have sucessufully eliminated the cluck when they upgraded their rear suspensions. We shimmed the pinion to .008" backlash which is on the tight side (factory spec is .008 - .012) so hopefully that will help.

If that don't do it then it's all in the T-56

mrose75

Established Member
I think he was talking about the clunk from the tranny. I thought the factory put in 12mm bolts where the 14mm bolts were supposed to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Every Terminator I have driven in has it. According to an SVT Engineer the tolerances in the drivetrain are all in the acceptable ranges. Just remember that next time you hit it in 6th after coasting for a while.

No big deal. Actually after a while you sub-consciously learn how to drive around it. Either that or I don't even notice it anymore.

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
I had the clunk, if I came to a stop and put it in nuetral , as I would engage it into first it would clunk.
Changed the tranny fluid and no more clunk

Users who are viewing this thread