• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

"THE" Cobra IRS thread

Discussion in 'Driveline' started by ac427cobra, Jan 13, 2012.

1. vrt03cobra

vrt03cobra Drive it Like U STOLE IT Established Member

This is on my wish list :-D

2. ac427cobra

ac427cobra FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM Staff Member Super Moderator

We 'normally' have the milled and unmilled covers in stock. Sometimes we get caught and can't keep up with incoming orders but covers are only a few days away.

The new Ford Racing cover is WAY stronger than the OEM with with a cover brace on it.

Check for play in all components of your IRS and check your halfshaft to rear hub retaining nuts. Torque them to 240-250#.

We do not recommend doing the IRS in steps or stages. Do it all at once.

We love success stories. :-D Can you please supply a link to your thread?

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

3. Carbon Driven

Carbon Driven Active Member Established Member

Thanks Bruce! Say why do you not recommend doing it in stages? Its easier on teh wallet if you are not paying for labor

4. UncleSAm

UncleSAm Blow Me Established Member

cause removing the irs sucks. i say buy the parts in stages and install at once, unless your like me and have an extra cradle and control arms waiting, do the install on the spare parts then just swap and bolt

5. Carbon Driven

Thats a good idea as I wanted to powdercoat the arm and other parts once its all apart but then when done its hard to sell the extra parts

6. UncleSAm

UncleSAm Blow Me Established Member

thats the only draw back. To me, its worth it in the time/effort/stress zone <--pricelsss

been thinking about powerdering it to match the car

7. Carbon Driven

Im doing mine like redrios

Guess I will be ordering the cover in the morning and putting up my bf irs brace that is freshly powdercoated (picking it up tomorrow) in a redfire candy metallic flake for sale.

8. ac427cobra

ac427cobra FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM Staff Member Super Moderator

Replacing the UCA bushings and the subframe bushings requires removal of the subframe from the chassis. Trust me when I say you don't want to do that any more times than you absolutely have to.

Why do I say do the whole thing at once? Because ALL of the rubber needs to be removed in the IRS, not just some of it. If your car had four bald tires on it you wouldn't just replace one or two tires would you?

The IRS has many weaknesses and fixing them ALL will give you a greater appreciation for what this kit will do for increasing the efficiency of the rear suspension.

9. SVT_Troy

SVT_Troy Well-Known Member Established Member

This was my rear diff mount when I pulled it!

IMG_2249_zpsba0869fb.jpg

So glad I bought the full kit and diff brace, I can't wait to get her back on the road. I have my full bumpsteer and alignment scheduled for the 5th followed by a new tune!

I will tell anyone that is thinking about doing this to go ahead and get it! I installed everything myself and Bruc'es videos made everything easy as pie. I also pm'd him more than a few times ;)

Thanks alot Bruce!