The Countach is back!

VegasMichael

Established Member
Definitely some truth in that. I'd love to see the reaction of some people plunked down in a Countach, Supra MKIV, or even DeLorean.

I've even been bitten by that a little bit. My experience in an older 911 was underwhelming at best (though some of the more recent iterations look like a stark departure from that.) And even a recent purchase of mine that's one of those legendary "poster on the wall" types, by all rights extremely well regarded by its owners, and even has a reputation matching my white knuckle tastes has failed to resonate with me. Although that's a bit more of a mystery as riding in a nearly identical one with 50 less hp was exhilarating. Maybe I just need to take the top off and push it harder. Or boost it.

I do have to say the Diablo was just as ****in' cool as it appeared though.
The old 911's from the 70s/early 80s were way cooler than the ones today. Yes they were unreliable and needed a lot of attention but they were iconic cool with tough good looks.
6408650e-0201-4b7b-8d34-975e5028100e_teaser_720x406x2.jpg

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I think the countach is more of a show piece than a driver’s car. If I had one it would be on display in my living room, I’d save the backroad weekend drives for something else.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
It all depends on the experience you seek. I have read several sources over the years that the Diablo was absolutely legit.

I've come to realize that the experience I enjoy is sketchy as ****. Not just powerful. Apparently beyond the threshold of "be careful, that car is dangerous" and well into "getting crazy looks for even taking this thing on public streets." All those new cars with tons more power but all of the latest electronic aids and nannies just don't evoke that thrill.

The Diablo definitely was. Interior and suspension were leaps and bounds better than the Countach. 500+hp felt like a goddamn rocket ship back then, and is still nothing to scoff at.

The old 911's from the 70s/early 80s were way cooler than the ones today. Yes they were unreliable and needed a lot of attention but they were iconic cool with tough good looks.View attachment 1716338

They kind of fall into three categories for me.

The old air cooled ones were neat. Interiors were really nice. Fun to really wring out. Neat- but I think people are insane for the money they think they're worth. And I definitely wouldn't own one with how temperamental they can be.

996/997. They feel cheap, but they're very well balanced. Not blistering by any means but almost so well balanced it sucks the fun out of it. Not like the tail happy, noisy air cooled ones. I can see what people like about them, but it just doesn't impress me.

991s and beyond. Porsche really got serious with these, even some of the lower trims. Between the big increase in power and the PDK makes them quick, and a handful. They managed to edge their way onto my list for cars I wouldn't pass up.

I wasn't born with a silver spoon. You are way off on this.

Not what I was insinuating.

I was agreeing with your sentiment of "No way in hell 17 year old me was thinking about servicing the engine."

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I've come to realize that the experience I enjoy is sketchy as ****. Not just powerful. Apparently beyond the threshold of "be careful, that car is dangerous" and well into "getting crazy looks for even taking this thing on public streets." All those new cars with tons more power but all of the latest electronic aids and nannies just don't evoke that thrill.

I get it. I wish my cars were so damn scary I called them “sir” everyone I talked to them. But I like them anyway. I don’t want to chase a thrill so much that I overlook the experience

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I get it. I wish my cars were so damn scary I called them “sir” everyone I talked to them. But I like them anyway. I don’t want to chase a thrill so much that I overlook the experience

That sounds far too dignified. Less like someone you would address as "sir" and more like your buddy in overalls named bubba that just got a whole pickup full of tannerite and has some ideas. I think it was a Jeremy Clarkson quote that went "This car is like going down to the pub for a pint with your mate- who happens to have a very large axe. And likes to murder people." I suppose this could also explain my relationships with women...

I do understand the experience though. Some people like feeling as if they're on their couch at home, only gracing their skin with the leather of a long lineage of cows found only in a remote island in the Mediterranean and hearing soundsystems that put the most regal concert halls to shame. Some like to scratch and claw through the most inhospitable terrain the world has to offer. Some just want to look good. Everyone has their own tastes. And every car has its own experiences. Some are just more gratifying, some resonate more than others. I just want to feel like the apocalypse is upon us when I mash the skinny pedal, with all the panic and adrenaline of a gazelle staring down a hungry cheetah.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Exactly why I have always wanted a TVR, Sagaris to be specific or even their newest Griffith model with the Coyote. Just a raw, nanny-free vehicle that will try to kill you if you aren't paying attention. There's only a handful of those types of cars left and they're the equivalent of the untamed stallion.

blk02edge

Established Member
I think the thing looks disgusting in a bad way. But I think that about all modern lamborghinis post Diablo

VegasMichael

Established Member
I think the countach is more of a show piece than a driver’s car. If I had one it would be on display in my living room, I’d save the backroad weekend drives for something else.
I think the Countach kept American car enthusiasts "in the game" so to speak since everything Ford and GM made in the late 70s/early 80s were ugly, fat, slow pieces of crap. It was either Car and Driver or Motor Trend that did a magazine story on the Countach racing a helicopter on a desert highway. I know it sounds stupid but for that day and age it was kind of a lifeline for car lovers during that dark age for automobiles.

VegasMichael

Established Member
That sounds far too dignified. Less like someone you would address as "sir" and more like your buddy in overalls named bubba that just got a whole pickup full of tannerite and has some ideas. I think it was a Jeremy Clarkson quote that went "This car is like going down to the pub for a pint with your mate- who happens to have a very large axe. And likes to murder people." I suppose this could also explain my relationships with women...

I do understand the experience though. Some people like feeling as if they're on their couch at home, only gracing their skin with the leather of a long lineage of cows found only in a remote island in the Mediterranean and hearing soundsystems that put the most regal concert halls to shame. Some like to scratch and claw through the most inhospitable terrain the world has to offer. Some just want to look good. Everyone has their own tastes. And every car has its own experiences. Some are just more gratifying, some resonate more than others. I just want to feel like the apocalypse is upon us when I mash the skinny pedal, with all the panic and adrenaline of a gazelle staring down a hungry cheetah.
I think you and TK1299 have perfectly grasped my "relationship" with the Dodge Viper. A beautiful car, undoubtedly a frenzied performer in bed if it were possible to bed her down, but I wouldn't want to drive it or be seen in it. To me that car would be like being in a relationship with a supermodel who's a serial killer. It would not end well. By the way, SecondhandSnake, you have quite the gift for turning a phrase.

Recon

Established Member
Yeah, at least they’re trying. I liked the Diablo but that’s pretty much it on newer lambos.
Maybe it’s because I’ve been around them all my life but I find the air cooled 911s to be quite awesome. You need someone that knows them really well. I did some of the disassembly on two air cooled flat 6s, one N/A and one Turbo. There’s quite a lot of parts in the engines, and the cars in general, but I quite like them. My father’s 930 Slantnose is quite frankly the sexist car my eyes have ever seen.

Pick your poison.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Countach is iconic even if it does suck to drive. The new one looks great, surprised it took them so long to make it

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
LOL @ everyone talking about how "unreliable" and "temperamental" aircooled 911s are, while I'm at over 160k on my stock bottom end.

The Countach was in my Holy Trinity of dream cars when I was a kid; it's the only one that actually disappointed me when I drove it.

The new one looks like one of those cheesy Russian renderings or GTA Online DLC. I don't see anyone putting a poster of one up on their wall. The original Countach more or less invented the supercar as we know it. There was simply nothing like it at the time. The new one is merely a rebody of an aging platform. Regardless, I'm sure that all 112 are already accounted for.

Last edited:

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Can say the same thing about a 1987 Grand National..... Doesn't stop anyone from buying one.

If you tried to sit in that car today compared to a current supercar, you would be severely disappointed..

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
The Countach is back?

In name only.

It looks like the result of a Huracan, Murcielago, and Aventador menage a trois.

Users who are viewing this thread