The Elderly donating to charity

jaxbusa

Established Member
I’ve heard stories from my mother in law about her balancing her mother’s checkbook and finding out that her mom was donating money to all kinds of organizations and didn’t have enough to care for herself. Just yesterday, while at my mother’s house, I noticed two envelopes from a city rescue mission that said thanks for your donation. I also remember her saying something a year or so ago that made me think she was donating money to one of those large churches that you see on TV. I know it’s her money, but I’m also thinking about her future need because of how expensive healthcare and nursing homes can be. Have you guys had to deal with this? What did you do?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Try and curb that shit as fast as you can.

My grandmother was addicted to QVC/HSN, after my grandfather passed away back in 08 she got a reverse mortgage on the house to pay off all debt and have a good chunk to live off of. IIRC after she paid down debt she was left with around 260 grand, which is now all but gone because she just burns though money on stupid things.

My grandparents always had the mentality they wouldn't make it past 75 so why save for the future. My grandfather passed in his 80's but my grandmother is currently 94 and still kicking.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
I remember back in the 80’s....”Reverend” Gene Scott on TV. We were watching because my cousin was crank calling the donation hotline. Anyway, he was asking for donations so he could take his prized horses on an expensive trip. Not kidding. It was ridiculous.

My point is, it is big business. People are just gullible and crazy, and they get taken advantage of.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Send her to me instead, she can get her fill of donating money, and drive away in a new vehicle!

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I remember back in the 80’s....”Reverend” Gene Scott on TV. We were watching because my cousin was crank calling the donation hotline. Anyway, he was asking for donations so he could take his prized horses on an expensive trip. Not kidding. It was ridiculous.

My point is, it is big business. People are just gullible and crazy, and they get taken advantage of.
I have no patience for "televangelists". Most are scam artists that give legitimate pastors, churches, and ministries a bad name.

There are a few (very few) pastors on so called "religious" networks that pass my test of integrity.

Sent from my [toilet] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Try to cut grandma off.

Unfortunately, we are more naive as we get older, part of how our brains force us to be more trusting of others so that they can care for us as we get older.

Those that prey on that are especially heinous in my opinion.

Sadly, having a talk with her won't do much. You'll have to find a way to take control of her finances and make sure her spending isn't frivolous. But, doing so will require a soft touch. I don't envy what you have to do.

Users who are viewing this thread