The GT350 is here!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
GT350_Shot_06.jpg

The wait is finally over. Ford has now confirmed the revival of the of the much respected nameplate – the Shelby GT350 Mustang. A great way to start the week! Now let’s dig into this, shall we?

THE POWERPLANT

Jamal Hameedi said:
The final product is essentially an all-new powerplant unique to GT350 – and one that takes
true advantage of the new chassis dynamics of the Mustang platform

The goal was a naturally aspirated V8 that could rev in a range suitable for a track oriented car. Thankfully, that meant the much bandied about flat plane crank was a go. The fact that Ford was able to get more than 500 horsepower out of this is most impressive. As I write this I still don’t know if it will be Direct Injected or not. Being spoon fed isn’t easy but it beats not being fed at all.
No idea on the block (Coyote architecture…or not?), rods, or heads – yet. The fact that this thing likes to sing in the upper ranges should have necessitated some extremely robust hardware. I’m really looking forward to a complete breakdown that includes some really trick pieces.

TRANSMISSION

It is being referred to as a “lightweight six-speed.” We know it has a separate bellhousing (unlike the current Getrag MT82 behind Coyote engines). Looking for details on whether the shifter is still remotely located as well as the clutch. My fingers are crossed that Ford paid attention to the cries of gear grinding TR6060/MT82 owners and chose a better pathway to shifting nirvana.

DRIVESHAFT

Media shots have hinted at a two-piece steel shaft as opposed to a one piece CF shaft. Whoever has to handle the barrage of media that is going to ask why had better be prepared. Unless of course, Ford stumps everyone and slips in something to salivate over.

SUSPENSION

Looks as if GM left an impression with how well the ZL1 (as well as other GM vehicles similarly damped) did, especially considering its heft. The new GT350 marks the first Ford to take advantage of “continuously controlled” dampers, MagneRide, to be exact. The “iron particles in hydraulic fluid” sound similar to what GM has been using. I wondered if I was seeing ride height sensing hardware in some of the sneak peek screen caps floating about last week. Thankfully, Ford is providing five “unique modes.” The more adjustment available to your fingertips the better as far as I’m concerned.

WHEELS/TIRES

Coyote and Trinity owners begged Ford for more aggressive rolling stock and never really got it. The GT350 delivers here in a big way. The 19 X 10.5(F) 19 X 11(R) wheels (on Michelin Pilot Super Sports no less) are just what the patient wanted to order for some time now. Since S197 wheels are a fairly good fit on the S550 it would make sense that these may do well on the earlier cars – if the styling and color mesh properly. No word on tire width but the images shown lend confidence to at least a 305 or 315 out back. Thanks for listening in this regard Ford.

BRAKES

Two-piece rotors? Thanks again Ford! Iron rotors with an aluminum hat are definitely the way to go and should help many eliminate having to replace them if they intend on some aggressive track driving. I’m surprised that Ford decided to cross-drill them what with their tendency to crack. Another one for Ford’s Press Secretary to detail. Hit ‘em hard Steve!

The rotors are clamped by six piston Brembo’s up front and four piston calipers out back. Note that Ford didn’t say Brembo four piston rear calipers. Hey, if they get the job done does it really matter what the sticker on them says?

ON EDIT...wait a minute. Do you see what I see?

_GT350brakes.jpg

GT350rearrotor.jpg

BODY

Big changes. The kind S197 owners dreamt about. Functional aero improvements in concert with a new aluminum hood and unique aluminum front fenders help to contain the widened front track. Ducts designed to redirect the flow of air to not only keep the car planted but to remove heat from any of the optional coolers placed nearby. I can’t tell if the rear quarters have been tweaked as well but something definitely looks different.

INTERIOR

Wasn’t this area of the vehicle good enough already? Apparently not. Unique Recaro’s, a flat bottom steering wheel (nice!) and dulled chrome finishes should all serve to make the cabin experience that much better. A huge thumbs-up to Ford for these changes alone.

So there you have it. It looks like the leaked Ford Parts listings accurately depicted what was to come (remember, there was an even wider wheel combination shown). The flat plane crank wasn’t just hype. Now we have a supercar with a wide front wheel, once a supposed no-no, or so we were told. This thing should be an instant track star and require little else to push the envelope beyond what the best S197 examples were able to achieve.

Well gentlemen, is it enough?

[video=youtube;yC6tKvEy6t0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC6tKvEy6t0#t=48[/video]

GT350_Shot_01.jpg

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
What a spectacular disappointment.
500 hp...and the weight savings from aluminum fenders and whatever else will be offset by bigger wheels/tires, brakes, etc.
So, 3800# and about the same hp as a Z28 with ~70ft.lb. less torque. Ford basically just introduced a Mustang Z28 that'll be slower than a C7. At 600hp and 3500-3600# I would have been a buyer. Not now.
The pool of buyers who will actually track these cars is VERY small, so it will be interesting to see if they can sell them. GM hasn't done too well with the Z28.
S.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Great write-up! The car looks great but, as you stated, Ford is staying mum on many details. I'm headed to LA on Saturday and am planning on attending the show.

ArabianOak

Established Member
500 hp...and the weight savings from aluminum fenders and whatever else will be offset by bigger wheels/tires, brakes, etc.
So, 3800# and about the same hp as a Z28 with ~70ft.lb. less torque. Ford basically just introduced a Mustang Z28 that'll be slower than a C7. At 600hp and 3500-3600# I would have been a buyer. Not now.
The pool of buyers who will actually track these cars is VERY small, so it will be interesting to see if they can sell them. GM hasn't done too well with the Z28.
S.

How do you know all the specs? Have they released them?

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
S.

Don't price it at $75k like they did the Z28 and they'll sell a lot of them. I'm guessing the price will be closer to high GT500 territory than Boss 302, but I sincerely hope they don't go crazy with the price and keep a lot of people out of the market. I won't be able to plead my case to the wife if the car is 60+

I'll be waiting for the used market. :(

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Very excited about this ride. Looks great so far. Need MOAR pics!

xenodragon

Established Member
Agree. My thoughts are it will be between 55-60. Anymore than that and I will most likely go m3/m4 for my daily driving needs. Will the 350 out perform the m3/m4? Most likely. Will I ever bring either car to a track? Nope.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Don't price it at $75k like they did the Z28 and they'll sell a lot of them. I'm guessing the price will be closer to high GT500 territory than Boss 302, but I sincerely hope they don't go crazy with the price and keep a lot of people out of the market. I won't be able to plead my case to the wife if the car is 60+

You may be pleasantly surprised at the price.

93 347 Cobra said:
Great write-up! The car looks great but, as you stated, Ford is staying mum on many details. I'm headed to LA on Saturday and am planning on attending the show.

I'll send you a cookie if you can slide your smart phone under the car and get the transmission/driveshaft shot that nobody else will take...

Bad Company

Established Member
48 seconds into the video and you can see the Brembo brakes are on the rear axle also. I love the looks of this car

Speedwagon

Established Member

I heard 50 - 55K depending on the options you get, but things can change.

Rotzs99

Established Member
10.5" wheels in the front!? 11.5" in the back? Damn. And that sound is amazing. Hopefully I get to hear one of these singing at the top of the rev range. No info on what redline is?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Im guessing $55-60k. That is a great price point. Dat sound doe!!!

RedVenom

Da Infamous One
Established Member
This for me is the car I have been waiting for... Multi valve, high rpm redline, IRS , massive brakes and built in the US. I would point out some things I think are worth mentioning here.

1. The Z/28 will cost much more than this car I am sure many will compare them and should. However this car should offer comparable performance with full amenities for less. The Z is a dedicated track machine first...This is the continuation of the Boss IMO, who's to say that a 350R won't appear much like the Laguna Seca version of the Boss.
2. I see this as a great alternative to the new M4 coupe and even better than the previous E9x M3's. Which were high on my next car list but this is the top.
3. I'm not hung up on the cars weight compared to a stock GT, Z/28 or Vette. Its the total package that matters (wheels/tires, suspension, brakes, gearing) I suspect this is a potent combo again with all amenities in tact.
4. The GT500 or Cobra is still coming as well so if you wanted more power thats an option.

Throw a Paxton 2200 on this bitch or TT's and man o man. Time to sell the Vette and come back home for me, this is the one for me. Looking forward to final hp/tq numbers, pricing, tire sizes and performance stats. And dammit the sound of it, seriously you can't not like the sound.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Still another one to release, no?

May be a bit but all bets point to yes.

We just got the "Ford Parts leaked" 19 X 10.5 /19 X 11 wheel combination out of the way. Also listed was a 19x11 CF front/19x11.5 CF RR combination. The GT350 wheel is on the left in the following photo. Regardless of material, that looks to be the "R" (if that's what it'll be) wheel on the right.

SVTgraphicwith2015wheels-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread