The GT350 is here!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

Man, that was hard to watch. Probably should've had questions prepared and written on index cards or something. I hadn't read or seen anything mentioning the two-piece driveshaft. That's a bummer. More cracks are beginning to show on where they "cut corners." Would really rather it was equipped with a one-piece carbon fiber driveshaft or at least aluminum. And the radiator shroud/support thingy is only 20% carbon composite? <sigh> Why bother? What is the benefit of such a small amount of carbon?

Granted, so far none of these minor disappointments are enough to stop me from buying one.

On a side note, the best part of the video was 8:01 - 8:08 because good lawd that was a lot of ass!! :D

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
according to the interview, fully ducted radiator - called it! that is AWESOME, significantly reduces engine bay pressure build up, improves radiator cooling, reduces drag, and increases downforce! the only fear i have about this, which i've had since we first saw the 'ring spy shots, is that the extractor in the hood may not quite be big enough/move enough air through it(which would definitely diminish the advantages of he fully ducted radiator).

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Man, that was hard to watch. Probably should've had questions prepared and written on index cards or something. I hadn't read or seen anything mentioning the two-piece driveshaft. That's a bummer. More cracks are beginning to show on where they "cut corners." Would really rather it was equipped with a one-piece carbon fiber driveshaft or at least aluminum. And the radiator shroud/support thingy is only 20% carbon composite? <sigh> Why bother? What is the benefit of such a small amount of carbon?

Granted, so far none of these minor disappointments are enough to stop me from buying one.

On a side note, the best part of the video was 8:01 - 8:08 because good lawd that was a lot of ass!! :D

I agree, that was a pretty uncomfortable interview. Also the driveshaft part made no sense, as the carbon fiber is both stronger and lighter.

Finally, no credit given to GM for developing the technology for the MR suspension.

On another note, that chick you pointed out at the 8 min mark looks like a sack-o-potatos, you have terrible taste. :D

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I'm really torn on whether or not to get the 350 or the 350R. You know the take rate on the 350R is going to be pretty low. And I like "rare" (relatively speaking) cars. So I'm leaning toward waiting for the R just for the rarity and novelty of it. I just wonder what the cost will be above the 350. If the R is a $60K base or less, I think I might be all over it.

Chances are, the 'R' could be a no-VIN competition only car like the Boss 302S and 302R given Ford's recent history:

https://www.fordracingparts.com/competition/bosscompare.asp

csc427

Established Member
Would the driveshaft material chosen possibly be dictated by the higher rpm the fpc will be turning? Just a guess...

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Chances are, the 'R' could be a no-VIN competition only car like the Boss 302S and 302R given Ford's recent history:

there will certainly be a GT350R race car, and multimatic will be debuting it at daytona at the end of january for the first CTSCC race of the season(well, we'll actually first see it at the 'roar before the 24' test session in early january). but the more hardcore GT350 test car we saw at the 'ring is equipped FAR above what the GT350R race car will be allowed to run in CTSCC(aero, CC brakes, square 305 tire setup, etc). add in that we heard a couple references about how price and value were MAJOR concerns for this car, and the fact that we ALL know that ford wants to get back at GM, and there isn't much doubt that there will be a much different, street legal GT350R following the base GT350.

Would the driveshaft material chosen possibly be dictated by the higher rpm the fpc will be turning? Just a guess...
nope, the gearing after the driveshaft(R&P + tire diameter) will largely determine driveshaft speed. 3.15 rear gears will result in a much lower driveshaft speed at, say, 60MPH, than 5.13 gears at the same speed.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I agree, that was a pretty uncomfortable interview. Also the driveshaft part made no sense, as the carbon fiber is both stronger and lighter.

Finally, no credit given to GM for developing the technology for the MR suspension.

On another note, that chick you pointed out at the 8 min mark looks like a sack-o-potatos, you have terrible taste. :D

I agree. Not using the carbon d/s is a cost savings measure. If it can hold up to 662hp it can surely hold up to 500. And finally owning a car with MR, I can see why so many mags raved about the ZL1. That shit is legit.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
There was a lot of BS in that interview, thats my opinion. A lot of dancing around.

also why would GM get credit for developing the suspension? they bought the technology from someone else if I'm not mistaken?

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
There was a lot of BS in that interview, thats my opinion. A lot of dancing around.

also why would GM get credit for developing the suspension? they bought the technology from someone else if I'm not mistaken?

Because it was developed by Delphi, I believe while still being a GM owned supplier. First used in some type of Caddy, then licensed to Ferrari.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

I agree with your first point. Now, to answer your second point:

1994: General Motors formed Automotive Components Group.
1995: ACG was renamed Delphi Automotive Systems.

MR was first debuted on the cadillac sts.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I agree with your first point. Now, to answer your second point:

1994: General Motors formed Automotive Components Group.
1995: ACG was renamed Delphi Automotive Systems.

MR was first debuted on the cadillac sts.

yes, that was what I was trying to remember.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I thought that one dude who worked for Delphi said they split in 99? The first car that got it was in 2002?

I mean they could have been developing it back before the split as well.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Because it was developed by Delphi, I believe while still being a GM owned supplier. First used in some type of Caddy, then licensed to Ferrari.

Correct. From what I have read GM still owns the rights to the first 2 iterations of the MR technology but the third gen. is all Delphi so they can sell it to anyone they want.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

I don't like my women shaped like teenage boys. :shrug:

I sure hope not. But c'est la vie if it is. I'll just have to "settle" for the GT350 with all the performance goodies.

It still doesn't make sense. I believe he mentioned vibration, but wouldn't/shouldn't a CF shaft absorb more NVH than a steel shaft? :??: Or is it the weight/mass of the steel shaft that makes it dampen NVH more? I find it hard to imagine a 2-piece steel shaft being smooth and vibration free as the engine is wound out to 8200 in a 1:1 gear. Wasn't the 2-piece shaft the reason the pre-'13 GT500s were speed limited?

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I thought that one dude who worked for Delphi said they split in 99? The first car that got it was in 2002?

I mean they could have been developing it back before the split as well.

Correct Delphi became independent in 99. Correct about it being debuted in 02 on the STS. Now, the way I understand it is that both GM AND Delphi (which was started by GM) collaborated in the development of the MR.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't like my women shaped like teenage boys. :shrug:

I sure hope not. But c'est la vie if it is. I'll just have to "settle" for the GT350 with all the performance goodies.

It still doesn't make sense. I believe he mentioned vibration, but wouldn't/shouldn't a CF shaft absorb more NVH than a steel shaft? :??: Or is it the weight/mass of the steel shaft that makes it dampen NVH more? I find it hard to imagine a 2-piece steel shaft being smooth and vibration free as the engine is wound out to 8200 in a 1:1 gear. Wasn't the 2-piece shaft the reason the pre-'13 GT500s were speed limited?

I hear you on that but damn, that chick had the curves of a pillow. Lol... Its all good though.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
as of right now, the magnetorheological shocks used in the GT350, as well as the magneride name, are owned by bejing west industries(BWI)

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Correct Delphi became independent in 99. Correct about it being debuted in 02 on the STS. Now, the way I understand it is that both GM AND Delphi (which was started by GM) collaborated in the development of the MR.

Even though Delphi was spun off, GM still held like 80% of the shares. Anyway you want to slice it, it's GM's tech. The basis for the technology actually started in the late 80's at GM.

Since BWI owns it now, they can license it to whomever they want.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I hear you on that but damn, that chick had the curves of a pillow. Lol... Its all good though.

To be fair, I only commented on her ass, not the rest. ;-)

Last edited:

Snakenhorse

new svt poster
Established Member
LOL, I should have come prepared!

Here are the pics, I have a video of the female presenter talking about the car but she doesn't say anything that isn't known on this forum.

20141122_200334_zps7c76ad02.jpg

20141122_200450_zps2e139c80.jpg

20141122_200550_zps850119f8.jpg

20141122_200606_zpsf25d5417.jpg

20141122_200640_zpsd616780b.jpg

This is the best mustang ford has EVER built. So impressed with this car. It truly is the cream of the crop.

Please, somebody photoshop this car's rims in white( matching the white of the car). I would love to see that and it may look better than the black ones for the white cars.

Users who are viewing this thread