The GT350 is here!

jtfx6552

Established Member
This is the best mustang ford has EVER built. So impressed with this car. It truly is the cream of the crop.

Please, somebody photoshop this car's rims in white( matching the white of the car). I would love to see that and it may look better than the black ones for the white cars.

i think white wheels would look great, but somewhere, I heard or read they went with dark wheels because the brakes produce a prodigous amount of dust.

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
Yes.

Around 8000 RPM.

The Boss 302S is a front running American Iron car as delivered. The lap times I saw of the 2015 GT PP are about 7 seconds off the pace of AI times at the track in TX (forget the name). While I'm absolutely sure the GT350 will be faster than the Mustang GT, I seriously doubt it will be seven seconds faster as delivered. Seven seconds is HUGE! Even with great brake pads, it would be a HUGE feat for Ford to be able to match that car with a street legal GT350. 2 seconds a lap is huge. Seven seconds is an eternity.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes.

Around 8000 RPM.

The Boss 302S is a front running American Iron car as delivered. The lap times I saw of the 2015 GT PP are about 7 seconds off the pace of AI times at the track in TX (forget the name). While I'm absolutely sure the GT350 will be faster than the Mustang GT, I seriously doubt it will be seven seconds faster as delivered. Seven seconds is HUGE! Even with great brake pads, it would be a HUGE feat for Ford to be able to match that car with a street legal GT350. 2 seconds a lap is huge. Seven seconds is an eternity.

Thanks

So would 7 seconds be "an order of magnitude" at the same track?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
do you really think a 14 Boss 302S is faster around a track than the GT350? Local dealer has one in the showroom in white for 99k. What do the 302S's rev to?

Do you think it's not? The 302S is a full-on, gutted race car. The GT350 presented so far is a street car. The 302S would probably murder the GT350 on a track. Now a race version of the GT350 would likely be a different story.

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
"An order of magnitude" is intentionally vague. In drag racing, you look for tenths of a second of improvement (unless you are a 300 mph funny car, then you look for thousandths). In road course racing we also look for tenths. A half of a second in a lap is the difference between first and last in a 20 car field. 3 seconds means your car is broken and you might as well park it. If I could buy a second faster in a road race car for $5,000, it would be a deal!

hognutz

Established Member
Thanks

So would 7 seconds be "an order of magnitude" at the same track?

7 seconds would be 2 to 3 orders of magnitude. say you were at a track that you could lap is 90 sceonds. every 13 laps you would lap a car if you were 7 seconds faster.

you can't compare 302S to the GT350 though one is vinless race car. one is a street car. I mean take that same gt350 and throw r compound tires on it, put competition brake pads and it might be 2 seconds a lap faster than as deliverd.

I mean maybe the R version would target a laptime like the 302S but if they sell if for road use it still might come up a tad short.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
keep in mind that we'll be seeing the GT350R and GT350S race cars(replacements for the 302R/302S respectively) VERY shortly, as the first race of the season(the 24 at daytona, and the CTSCC race at daytona that precedes it) is coming up at the end of january, and the 'roar before the 24' test sessions will be a few weeks before then. REALLY excited to see multimatic develop the new S550 race car!

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Do you think it's not? The 302S is a full-on, gutted race car. The GT350 presented so far is a street car. The 302S would probably murder the GT350 on a track. Now a race version of the GT350 would likely be a different story.

Comparison of the 302s against the z28? I'm guessing the gt350 will take the current z28.

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
Yeah, I didn't think the young'uns would get the reference if I went with $54K. :) But I considered it. I figure we have another six months wait before we get any more specs and media test drives.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Comparison of the 302s against the z28? I'm guessing the gt350 will take the current z28.

The 302S, a full-on, non-street legal race car, versus the Z28, a road going car with weekend track duty aspirations? Check out the "IMSA Vids" and "World Challenge" channels on YouTube to see how the 302S and R mash it up with the Z28-R. That will answer your question.

Last edited:

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
The 302S, a full-on, non-street legal race car, versus the Z28, a road going car with weekend track duty aspirations? Check out the "IMSA Vids" and "World Challenge" channels on YouTube to see how the 302S and R mash it up with the Z28-R. That will answer your question.

For those of us who don't follow racing, and don't want to sit and watch two hour races just to get the answer, could some of you guys that know fill us in on which of the two dominates?

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
I watched every Grand Am Cup (now Continental Tire Series) and World Challenge race since the 2005 Mustang came out. There wasn't as much television coverage previously. You really can't get anything from watching those races OR by looking at the race results, unfortunately. The Series leaders modify the rule packages every year (and often several times throughout the season) in order to keep parity. As soon as one car (model) dominates, they change the rules to take speed away. They use intake restrictors, limit rpm, change aero packages, etc. When the first 2005 FR500C Mustangs hit the track at Daytona, they dominated. The torque killed the BMWs on the high banks. They kept modifying the rules until the BMWs were back on top. There were no Camaros then.
rel_daytonapre_d_20050201.jpg

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
For those of us who don't follow racing, and don't want to sit and watch two hour races just to get the answer, could some of you guys that know fill us in on which of the two dominates?

The actual race car would win. The only chance the street Z28 would have is in a mostly straight track. The race rubber, lighter weight and significant aero advantage would favor the 302S on most courses.

Users who are viewing this thread