The hood?

f4sfed

Established Member
What does everyone think about their hood?

I ask, 'cuz I'm concerned with the indentations, as opposed to a "scoop". Doesn't water, dirt, etc. collect in those dips on the hood? If so, what/how are you all handling that.

Tryin' to keep busy, while waiting for my phone call. :shrug:

Cobra'03

Established Member
Not sure what the question is, but if you are asking about the look of it, I like it - it looks badass, and the sightlines from the inside are agressive and functional. The vents are open - water does not pool up as you implied. Some of us have modded the flaps and the insulator to keep the engine bay cooler and prevent the staining of the insulator pad - troll around and read some of the posts.

f4sfed

Established Member
Yea, I've read the "postban hood mod". :) And will probably be doing that very thing.

I was just wondering if anyone was planning on changing the hood to something that "sticks up", as opposed to the stock hood, that....uh......doesn't stick up. :)

Snakebitten

5150 SVT Poster
Established Member
There's some aftermarket "cowl induction" hoods that stick up pretty good, 2 to 6 inches. It's probably trial and error as far as if they'll fit.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
the cowl induction hoods should fit. They have a bunch of them out there. They are pretty light too. But I like the cobra hood so much I don't know if I want to change it

CatchMeCopper

Established Member
Yeah.. I love my hood. it looks badass. My friend (he is a complete ricer) said he saw mine in carbon fibre. the 03 cobra also had euro lights, big aluminum spoiler, neons, and a bunch of other RICE shit.. I swear to god he stole that right out of a nightmare. Hes obviously BSing.. those ricers love to do that.

But still. it would look badass in carbon fibre as long is matched the whole body in carbon fibre.. kinda like snake skin.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
yeah I agree. Kinda like the Pagoni Zonda, the body is carbon fibre. There are a few mustangs around here with the euro tailights, and then there is a yellow V6 mustang with the 00R wing on it.

ObieFox

Established Member
My first thought on the hood is that it would be sweet to put a 2001 cobra hood on the '03 and cut out an opening for the supercharger guard to stick up through. If you open the hood and look at the angle, it looks like the blower snout would sit about 1-2 inches above the '01 hood.

KO

CatchMeCopper

Established Member
then some little ****er would cut the belt and your fun would be over.. :(.. Plus rain would really suck.. Face it.. the 03 hood is badass.

Mowgli

Established Member
Because the intake of roots-type blowers are best when entering along the rotating axis. Ergo, front or back, not down over the top.

silvercoffin

Established Member
svt ON HOOD MOD

I ASKED SVT A WHILE BACK when I still valued their judgement about the hood mod and they said that the vents dont do as much as people think and that the hoodliner was there to keep to much water from going into the engine bay. I was going to cut mine out because I dont like how the hood liner is starting to look from water damage....water entering the vents. Mostly from excessive washing. Now I am real careful to spray towards the windsheild while washing and that seems to be making a big difference.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Originally posted by eddy z
our hood was the same look that was on the 68 stang and on the orginal 68 Steve McQueen Bullet mustang.

Yeah! I was watching Bullitt last night on DVD. Actually, I just jumped straight to the car chase scene. I too noticed that the 68 had the same basic hood design. Sometimes when I'm driving I like to pretend that I'm Steve McQueen. :coolman: TOO COOL! :burnout:

But I wouldn't think of changing the hood on a 68... likewise, I wouldn't think of changing the hood on my 03 either.

The only thing that would make me swap to a different hood would be if I later (talking years and years later) installed a bigger blower that necesitated the need for more room.

Other than that, why would you want to change it? I would think that if you changed the hood then people who see your new stang might think it's not really an 03 cobra and instead figure it's just an 03 cobra body kit.

riplightning

Established Member
Vintage,

When I had my '00 lightning, I wanted to build a direct scoop on top of the hood. I couldn't find anyone to do it. I think it would look cool if you had a scoop (chrome or polished metal) sticking out the top of your hood.

Users who are viewing this thread