The Iron Coyote 'Werewolf' Engine Block from Ford Performance Is Here!!! |Exclusive First Look

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

SlowSVT

Established Member
The BOSS modular block really turned out to be a dud for HP over 800. This block looks like it can take it and those billet block developers can't be happy. Depending on where Ford prices it of course.

The only strike against the Boss 5.0 iron block was the 3.700" bore and it's ability to hold boost which plagues any engine with thin margins between the bores. CAT600 was running 25 lbs thru a Boss engine but is not something I would do. As for the block itself it's basically a Teksid block cast in iron and way beefier than the Romeo. The mod motors including the Romeo block hold up pretty well under high hp and can be re-bored which is not the case with the coated coyote block.

Just looking at the casting that Werewolf block looks brutally strong this would be a hot ticket for anyone looking for a high hp street car you would want to put a lot of miles on I would take this over the factory block in a heartbeat. The weight hit is nothing to rejoice about. The Teksid block weighed 85 lbs, the Romeo block weighed 153 and the Boss block 159 and the tall 5.4 block weighed 190. I don't think the Warewolf block will weigh 90 lbs that puts it in the 5.4 territory.

The basic coyote engine had a lot of nice features over the Mod Motor especially with regard to venting/windage and flow restrictions around the water pump. The problem is the early engines had a lot of structural issues and when thru several revisions to correct the problems. For me the "knife in the chest" for this engine was the linerless cylinder treatment which is considered "unserviceable". The though of throwing a perfectly good (and expensive) block with a scored cylinder into the dumpster is absolutely crazy. This new block address that problem and is very appealing. They should put this in the F-150 the durability of iron is hard to beat.

With all the talk of electrification at Ford it's encouraging to see them make this move. I've heard rumors of an all electric GT500 which for me would be a sad story if they stopped putting internal combustion engines in the Mustang.

Can't wait to see the finished product. Hope fully it won't be $6K. I paid $900 for a Boss block that was a "steal".

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
So we have Coyote and Werewolf, has anyone on here used the Bear? Looks pretty stout!

BBM-0119-FSC-12.jpg

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Great question, as I’ve been following the Bear from the beginning. Talking to the top engine builders, they all were waiting on this latest revision. Supposedly, even with the latest revision, certain ‘things’ need to be addressed, but once they are, they’re stout.
I’m actually waiting on my quote with a Bear block for a turbo Coyote.
I’m going for 5.0-5.2 Bear block, oringed deck and stock new GT500 castings with custom cams.
1200rwhp out of a custom billet single kit I just picked up.
Hopefully I’ll have pics soon.
-J

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Great question, as I’ve been following the Bear from the beginning. Talking to the top engine builders, they all were waiting on this latest revision. Supposedly, even with the latest revision, certain ‘things’ need to be addressed, but once they are, they’re stout.
I’m going for 5.0-5.2 Bear block, oringed deck and stock new GT500 castings with custom cams.
-J

Sounds nasty.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
-J
Definitely want to follow that build!
Fox body notch?

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The only strike against the Boss 5.0 iron block was the 3.700" bore and it's ability to hold boost which plagues any engine with thin margins between the bores. CAT600 was running 25 lbs thru a Boss engine but is not something I would do. As for the block itself it's basically a Teksid block cast in iron and way beefier than the Romeo. The mod motors including the Romeo block hold up pretty well under high hp and can be re-bored which is not the case with the coated coyote block.

Just looking at the casting that Werewolf block looks brutally strong this would be a hot ticket for anyone looking for a high hp street car you would want to put a lot of miles on I would take this over the factory block in a heartbeat. The weight hit is nothing to rejoice about. The Teksid block weighed 85 lbs, the Romeo block weighed 153 and the Boss block 159 and the tall 5.4 block weighed 190. I don't think the Warewolf block will weigh 90 lbs that puts it in the 5.4 territory.

The basic coyote engine had a lot of nice features over the Mod Motor especially with regard to venting/windage and flow restrictions around the water pump. The problem is the early engines had a lot of structural issues and when thru several revisions to correct the problems. For me the "knife in the chest" for this engine was the linerless cylinder treatment which is considered "unserviceable". The though of throwing a perfectly good (and expensive) block with a scored cylinder into the dumpster is absolutely crazy. This new block address that problem and is very appealing. They should put this in the F-150 the durability of iron is hard to beat.

With all the talk of electrification at Ford it's encouraging to see them make this move. I've heard rumors of an all electric GT500 which for me would be a sad story if they stopped putting internal combustion engines in the Mustang.

Can't wait to see the finished product. Hope fully it won't be $6K. I paid $900 for a Boss block that was a "steal".
Well, the Gen 3 Coyote boys and girls are now playing with the same issue us 11-14 GT500 guys have had to deal with. From what Ive been able to tell, the 11-14 GT500 PTWA are typically very robust.

But at the end of the day, if you want to make big boy power you gotta go sleeves.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Sleeves are a great option but they present their own issues.

An affordable iron block would be amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Myfast70

Established Member
What issues have you seen with sleeves?

Also, what needs to be addressed with the newest revision Bear blocks? I hear to stay away from the first run. I'm looking to build a big HP Coyote and have both Gen 2 & 3 at my dispose. After I heard to stay away from Bear my next thought was to go with the aluminum Coyote sportsman block and have it sleeved

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Also, what needs to be addressed with the newest revision Bear blocks? I hear to stay away from the first run. I'm looking to build a big HP Coyote and have both Gen 2 & 3 at my dispose. After I heard to stay away from Bear my next thought was to go with the aluminum Coyote sportsman block and have it sleeved

There's been quite a few instances of sleeves falling out. The remaining cylinder walls are just so damn thin on a factory block.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

The best factory block you can buy right now is the predator (2020 GT500 block). They are about $2300. It has all of the gen 3 strength updates along with a closed deck design and should hold over 1000 pretty easily.

Part number KR3Z-6010-A.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The best factory block you can buy right now is the predator (2020 GT500 block). They are about $2300. It has all of the gen 3 strength updates along with a closed deck design and should hold over 1000 pretty easily.

Part number KR3Z-6010-A.

Notice the Werewolf block incorporates the closed deck design too.

Users who are viewing this thread