"The Lightning is another Phord faker"

bad360rt

slo truk
Established Member
Ok, I'm not gonna defend any of the idiots over there, just wanna show you guys that not all Dodge guys are like that :) I'm not brand loyal, I like anything that's fast. But the money argument gets old, it's the same argument between R/T's and Lightings, who cares, it's their money. Oh, and I personally can't wait to stomp an SRT-10. I met up with one on the turnpike, but he wussed out, said he was still breaking it in :rollseyes Nice trucks, but I still want to show 'em what their lil brother can do ;-)

thubigdawg

GO CANES!!!
Established Member
Then new "Lightning Concept" 3rd gen, is suppose to have 500hp but it also has a special cooling system that gives it an additional 50hp. so thats a total of 550hp. srt-10 who?

Last edited:

ronnie

Will work for Truck Parts
Established Member
I know a guy( a decent person) at the track I go to that has a SRT-10 running a 150 shot that has only bested a 12.4. But in my opinion, if you add that up, like 650 hp running a 12.4, that sucks. That is high 10's and 11's for a Lightning. Also, to put like a turbo or a S/C on these things you have to pay someone like Hennessy 25,000 dollars for one. 50,000 + 25,000 = 75,000 dollars for maybe a high 11 vehicle that I have seen at best.... so far......that sucks, too.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I hate when people always say ford sucks because they have to use a supercharger to keep up with all the competition. So that means that porsche + Mercedes suck too because they have to use forced induction to keep up. I think superchargers and turbos are used because consumers are so fascinated by them. I never get boared of hearing a s/c or turbo. Plus they are easy to tune, which is a plus because it can be really intimidating and pricy to try and modify an n/a engine especially for someone who is just learning about it. Why do you think SVT does so well? Because they appeal to the people. Even if you dont know anything about cars when you hear something has a turbo or supercharger you automatically think "FAST".

bad360rt

slo truk
Established Member
Originally posted by SB Lightning
Hey bad360rt, your truck wouldn't happen to be yellow would it?
Nope, it's red, but I think I know the truck you're thinking of. Tim C has a yellow regular cab in MD that ran 11.9@115. He's having a bunch of work done right now tho, should come back quite a bit quicker :)

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
Originally posted by bad360rt
But the money argument gets old, it's the same argument between R/T's and Lightings, who cares, it's their money. Nice trucks, but I still want to show 'em what their lil brother can do ;-)

Yeah, i agree. The money arguement does get old. I also agree about being a fan of performance. I owned a dakota before my Lightning. It was an absolute blast to drive and the exaust alone got me plenty of looks.

We all who own a Lightning are proud of our trucks. For around $1,000 in mods you can have a 12 sec ride that has killer street appeal. Something that can't be accomplished with any other truck on the market. I wish my Dakota would have ran like it sounds and from the looks of it, bad360rt....you have one sweet ride.

redz_02

Established Member
Originally posted by svtfocus2cobra
I hate when people always say ford sucks because they have to use a supercharger to keep up with all the competition. So that means that porsche + Mercedes suck too because they have to use forced induction to keep up. I think superchargers and turbos are used because consumers are so fascinated by them. I never get boared of hearing a s/c or turbo. Plus they are easy to tune, which is a plus because it can be really intimidating and pricy to try and modify an n/a engine especially for someone who is just learning about it. Why do you think SVT does so well? Because they appeal to the people. Even if you dont know anything about cars when you hear something has a turbo or supercharger you automatically think "FAST".

Good point, maybe he needs to go talk to john force about his forced induction funny car, can hear it now, you mean you need a supercharger to hit high 3's, it is a simple part of performance. They have an 8.0 liter we have a 5.4 with a blower.

And Bad360, i think you are well on your way to beating an srt, kinda funny how you are down to earth about things and quad whatever runs 15's to back his ****yness.

SB Lightning

Young Buck
Established Member
Originally posted by bad360rt
Nope, it's red, but I think I know the truck you're thinking of. Tim C has a yellow regular cab in MD that ran 11.9@115. He's having a bunch of work done right now tho, should come back quite a bit quicker :)

Yeah I saw a video a looong time ago of it, such a badass truck! :rockon: :rockon:

Mr Nutt

Established Member
dodge boys talk a lot of sh*t, a bunch of wanna-be's who think a hemi is 426ci, they heard their daddy talk about it. It was nothing then and it's nothing now. I suppose when one spends 42K for a
S-led R-ide T-oo 10 they would be hesitant to race an L, It might break Damn that HURTS

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I reckon I'll probably catch a bit of flak for this but to hear some (not all) of you guys talk, its sounds like the same stuff with just a different spin. Hey, that's what competition is all about and it should come as no surprise that brand loyalty exists on other boards just like here. Its that way on any board...if your vehicle is getting ragged on, it stings and gets your attention.
So to digress, I don't see why some of you are knocking the Hemi specifically as I don't recall Dodge or any rational owners ever stating that it was design to compete against the supercharged 5.4. What the Hemi was designed to do in the trucks/suvs is outperform the naturally aspirated 5.4 Triton and it does just that. Ford had to see it coming but was slow to react and got surpassed by Dodge and Nissan.
The way I see it there's no sense in stereotyping all Dodge owners or their trucks because of a few overzealous teenagers and brand loyalists when many on here are just as brand loyal.
For me, I've bought enough Fords to claim loyalty and generally still lean that way, but I'm to the point now I buy what I want and not necessarily what Ford puts in front of me. In other words, they've got to earn my business.

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
Originally posted by Traveler

The way I see it there's no sense in stereotyping all Dodge owners or their trucks because of a few overzealous teenagers and brand loyalists when many on here are just as brand loyal.
For me, I've bought enough Fords to claim loyalty and generally still lean that way, but I'm to the point now I buy what I want and not necessarily what Ford puts in front of me. In other words, they've got to earn my business.

The arguement for me is only that the HEMI guys try and compare the truck to a Lightning. The only thing that it shares with the Lightning is that it's a truck. IMO, the HEMI is the best truck for n/a applications, but as for a sport truck.....the Lightning rules all.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I certainly don't dispute that and from most of the Hemi guys I talk to, they realize that too. You'll find that same syndrome with a small minority of Hemi owners that any other owners have, whether they be Honda or Toyota drivers or what have you. Several months ago I had a middle aged gentlemen (not much older than myself) in a Silverado SS begin to persuade me to race him thinking apparently that his stock truck could give my Cobra some competition. These types get a vehicle that feels strong to them and they automatically think its the fastest on four wheels or they just want to see what they've got and for the fun of it. Its the bad sports with atitutudes that gripe me.
As for the SRT, I don't necessarily agree with the direction Dodge went with it, thinking that the 6.1 Hemi might would have been a better choice for good power but at a substantial price, but the 6.1 wasn't ready yet. I do, however, see why some would like the V10 SRT Ram. Some people like the look of the Ram and others will be intrigued by the Viper engine. Others rather have a manual tranny over an automatic. A lot may just want something different since Ford's Lightning has been back on the seen for now 5 years. The Lightning certainly has it beat on price and the ability to mod rather inexpensively but everybody has their own thing.

Last edited:

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
^^^^agreed

But why not s/c a HEMI? Would the tranny just blow up or did they actually think about that? I think that truck would beat a L if they could get the tranny to hold up.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
Dodge has automatic trannys that can handle the power. The new SRT Quad Cab actually comes with a automatic and I think they used the same automatic that backs the Cummins diesel trucks.
The thing with the new 6.1 Hemi is that its rated at 425hp naturally aspirated, although no formal tests have been done on the engine by the automotive media. Torque numbers are in the low 400 range (I believe) as well. With a supercharger mounted on it, theoretically it would likely run all over the current SRT-10 Ram although they'd probably have to back off the compression some as that 425hp rating comes courtesty of a fairly high compression ratio. Of course, then again there is supposedly talk of a Hemi V10 for the Viper and that would likely filter down into the Ram but at what expense???

Last edited:

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
I have heard of the quad cab SRT. But that was just made. Is the tranny an older design that could have been used with a s/c HEMI?

Costs? No kidding....Do they think that the MOPAR crowds have a money tree in the back yard? If they did, i was ask them for some seedlings and get my built block waaaaay ahead of my "winning lottery ticket"

:lol:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread