The New Driveway Thread

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
This cracked ass shit is gone starting Tuesday. I’ve spend way too much trying to make this look good for the last 25 years. This will be a paver drive 2’ wider when done. I put the deposit down in November. Lol
They have to replace the culvert too, with concrete culvert. Going to be two weeks walking through dirt. Wife wondered why I didn’t clean the garage floor. I’ll update as we go. There will be new curbing, irrigation and a whole new yard when done.
IMG_3260.JPG

IMG_3261.JPG

IMG_3262.JPG

Sent from somewhere

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
How thick is the original slab, Brad? Was the cracking due to drainage issues? How is the garage slab?

Looking forward to seeing the finished new driveway and yard.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
How thick is the original slab, Brad? Was the cracking due to drainage issues? How is the garage slab?

Looking forward to seeing the finished new driveway and yard.
4", it rained the day they poured it. Garage is great, I have thread here on that. I'll find a picture on my phone Bob.
yikes, ya that slab is rough, look forward to seeing the progress!
No center seam, oh well.
I have a similar project in my future as well.
Feel free to post in this one if you want.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
You’re going to love going an extra 2’ wider! I assume you’ll be taking it to the right side of the garage? Or going 1’ each way?

joshcarp81

Established Member
Usually a foot past each side was the norm during my new construction days. Along with control joints no further than 10' apart. 4 slump, 4" minimal thickness with fiber. Pavers are nice, if done correctly. Bad thing ive seen issues with them when it comes to drainage and constantly driving in the same lines.
My driveway is around 230' long. Currently with mill slag/dirt, lol. Its on the long list of things to do. Maybe in a few years

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
You’re going to love going an extra 2’ wider! I assume you’ll be taking it to the right side of the garage? Or going 1’ each way?
1' each side.
Usually a foot past each side was the norm during my new construction days. Along with control joints no further than 10' apart. 4 slump, 4" minimal thickness with fiber. Pavers are nice, if done correctly. Bad thing ive seen issues with them when it comes to drainage and constantly driving in the same lines.
My driveway is around 230' long. Currently with mill slag/dirt, lol. Its on the long list of things to do. Maybe in a few years
These guys are one of my main subs in my business. 4" limestone base under the pavers, which is crushed/ground concrete here. They call it road base. These guys do mall parking lots, so, no worries.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Brad, that sucks that it rained when they poured the 4" slab. I do remember your garage thread. Just couldn't remember if there were any cracks. I asked about drainage because my garage floor has multiple thin cracks. They developed because water ran under my garage floor and asphalt driveway. No water entered the garage, though. I had to dig a trench about 200' long to route the water away from the garage floor. Since then, no issues.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I have two huge cracks in my asphalt driveway. Not to the point of replacement yet. I know if nothing is done, it will get worse. My plan of attack is fill the cracks with polymeric sand, wet, let dry, clean area and allow to dry again. The sand should harden and fill in the cracks.
Then use an asphalt crack cement to seal, coat the entire drive with asphalt sealant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AssPikle

Established Member
I'm looking to get a quote on putting pavers on top of my existing driveway and I'm going to see if they can widen it using the pavers too. I imagine it's not as simple as it sounds but I'm curious if anyone has done that?

joshcarp81

Established Member
I had a surprise on a patio roof i installed last year. Under the pavers was a concrete slab! Lol. Well it wasnt funny at the time. I havent personally done it. Whoever did it looked like the coated it with roof tar and the did the typical sand bed under the pavers. I would say drainage is your friend if thats the plan. Dont want to trap water between the two.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Brad, that sucks that it rained when they poured the 4" slab. I do remember your garage thread. Just couldn't remember if there were any cracks. I asked about drainage because my garage floor has multiple thin cracks. They developed because water ran under my garage floor and asphalt driveway. No water entered the garage, though. I had to dig a trench about 200' long to route the water away from the garage floor. Since then, no issues.
There were a few Bob. My garage is a polyuera, a tad different that epoxy.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I hate pavers, for multiple reasons from work to shitty installs at my home(s), but I like the design you picked out.

What thickness did you go with 2-3/4"?

Users who are viewing this thread