The North Face

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
So I was shopping at Bass Pro Shops in Savannah yesterday and I come across some of The North Face stuff. I'm really impressed with the quality of their stuff and the style. I had been looking for a new rain jacket so I starting looking at some of their stuff. I ended up dropping $200 on a jacket/fleece combo that can be used in several different weather situations. I've been sufing their website and they have a lot of really nice stuff.

Who here wears/uses The North Face clothing/equipment? What's your impression of it?

Mustanger

Established Member
North Face is one of the oldest backpacking/Mt. climbing gear manufacturers. They make top notch high quality stuff but it will be very high priced normally. You can find great sale prices & close outs though. They kind of went away from their hardcore roots & are more into the fashion & yuppie scene IMO...still good stuff.

A lot of their employees years ago quit & started their own co. called Mountain Hardware...more into the original line of North Face.

I have lots of North Face stuff & it's great.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
Wow, Your just now finding North Face. We had standard issue North Face Gear when I was in. Cold Weather Unit. Their gear is top notch.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
Wow, Your just now finding North Face. We had standard issue North Face Gear when I was in. Cold Weather Unit. Their gear is top notch.

That's the difference between the Coast Guard and the Marines. We get the bottom of the barrel stuff. Whatever is left over by the other services, we get.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
That's the difference between the Coast Guard and the Marines. We get the bottom of the barrel stuff. Whatever is left over by the other services, we get.

That is something the Coast Guard and Marines Have in common actually. I was referring to my time in the Marine Corps from 93-98. We were issued North Face Gear.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
That is something the Coast Guard and Marines Have in common actually. I was referring to my time in the Marine Corps from 93-98. We were issued North Face Gear.

My bad. I wasn't aware you are prior USMC. As far as I know we don't use it anymore. I know I haven't seen any in supply warehouses in the last 10 years. And I've been on a few operations to very cold climates and no one was wearing The North Face gear.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
My bad. I wasn't aware you are prior USMC. As far as I know we don't use it anymore. I know I haven't seen any in supply warehouses in the last 10 years. And I've been on a few operations to very cold climates and no one was wearing The North Face gear.

Thats too bad. We went from shelter Halves to Norwegian Slut huts to Northface tents just before I got out. We had Northface Fleece and various other goodies.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
The North Face is especially good when you can get it off the black market. Recent trips to Kyrgyzstan back packs were going for $25 and full XXl heavy winter coats for $60. Nice stuff......

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
i use one of their backpacks at school. everyone else that has them has had it for at least 5 years and its still holding up.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
Thats too bad. We went from shelter Halves to Norwegian Slut huts to Northface tents just before I got out. We had Northface Fleece and various other goodies.

Wow! Those tents are crazy expensive too. That's very uncharacteristic of the USMC to drop that kind of coin on tents like that.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
Wow! Those tents are crazy expensive too. That's very uncharacteristic of the USMC to drop that kind of coin on tents like that.

It was about the same time we ponied up for the M240G to replace the M60. The gear they are getting now is probably even better.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I have a bunch of NF stuff. Of course, I never wear any of any more since I live in FL, but I have a NF bag that I've been using for something like 12 years and it's still going strong. Very nice quality stuff.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
almost 10 years ago I had a $450 Northface jacket with all that gortex crap and I loved it. I had it for maybe 6 months before someone stole it out of my locker ha.

highdensity007

Best wifey EVAR!
Established Member
I take my North Face jacket everytime I go skiing. It was a bit pricey but it keeps me warm and has taken some beatings when I ski on trails a little out of my realm and fall, but it still looks new after 6 years.

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
love north face. its usualy what i give as gifts on christmas.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
North Face makes decent stuff, but they are no longer considered top notch. The company was bought out some time ago by Vanity Fair (something along those lines) and their products are now more fashion oriented than they are technical. There are still a few products they offer that are old holdouts from their glory days, off the top of my head their men's Denali Fleece Jacket and a mountaineering tent (Mountain 25 or something) are still considered stout technical gear.

That's not to say it's a bad choice, they're well priced and work for the average consumer pretty well.

nodaksvt

ehhh?
Established Member
there are other brands out there that are on par with the north face, but they are the best of what you can buy. i have a 2 man tent and that has lasted me for about 4 years and still in excellent condition

Users who are viewing this thread