The Official Centrifugal Pulley/Boost Combo Thread!!!

SVTPete83

Established Member
Especially Tq. I can't wait to see what she does with the head unit upgrade. For now I am getting ready for smog and tonight my new lg1's. Oh snap!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^ That's awesome man.. I wish I had some of your money lol. I'm looking into a Raptor next year I think though.

SVTPete83

Established Member
Oh man!! Complete the svt family Chris!! Love me a raptor. By far the best built ford I have ever driven!

phillipmach1

Established Member
Last week on a Dynometer the car made 530 RWHP at 10 psi that is with 3.15 blower pulley and 6 1/2 crank pulley this week i upgrade the head unit to a V-1 T-trim that is with the same size crank pulley and a 2.85 blower pulley and the car made 580 RWHP at 13 psi, we are going to get an OD crank pulley to see if we can get more psi out of the T-trim.

2004 Mach1 factory timing cover.
1. 4V stock heads
2. Vortech SCI-trim for now T-trim coming soon
3. Stock bore and stroke 9.5.1 compression engine build by John Tymensky over at MP
4. Stock
5. 98 cobra intake cams/factory exhaust degree at 106 Intake / 111 Exhaust
6. Stock ported short runner by Roy
7. Vortech aftercooler with fluidyne heat exchanger
8. AHR longtubes 3” collector X pipes and pypes catback
9. pulley 3.25 blower and 6.50 crank pulley
10. On the dyno 11 psi at 5900 MAF was getting oil from the PVC
11. Anderson
12. 551 rwhp 509 rwtq 11 timming

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Wow that is killer power for that combo!! I'll be you are getting some belt slip though. How much boost are you trying to make?
With your shift point at say 7k you're spinning the blower to 55k which is around the same RPM I'm spinning mine to but I'm making 18psi.. I'll bet you just have a ton of belt slip.. I would do a similar setup to mine.. 15% O/D and a 3.33'' blower pulley.. Should be right around 17-18psi and I'm spinning my blower to around the same rpm.

Last edited:

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
Year of Car and what year timing cover you have. Different Years have different belt wrap configurations I'm pretty sure.
1. 2V or 4V ( List what type of Heads, B-heads, C-heads, TFS, Stoke etc)
2. Type of Blower
3. Big Bore/Stroker/ Compression
4. Ported Heads?
5. What Cams?
6. What intake? (aftermarket, Ported, Ported Short Runner, etc)
7. Intercooled(A/A) or Aftercooled or NO Cooler?
8. Exhaust Combo?
9. Pulley Combo (blower pulley size, crank pulley size) and belt length if you have it or remember
10. Amount of Boost you are seeing at X RPM.
11. Powerpipe?
12. HP/TQ

hecdel40's car, just got off the dyno Saturday.

2004 Mach 1 with 2004 timing cover and single-bolt tensioner
1. 4V, 2004 C/U231 heads
2. V-1 T-trim
3. 4.6 - .020'' over, stock stroke, 9.0:1
4. Unported heads
5. 98 Cobra intake cams
6. Stock runner length Mach 1 manifold worked over by Roy, 1/2" spacer, Accufab twin 60
7. Aftercooled
8. ARH 1-7/8'' x 3" LTs, ARH o/r 3" X-pipe with rear connections reduced to 2.5", 2.5" Pypes cat-back.
9. Innovator's West 6.5" 8 rib, 2.85" 8-rib s/c pulley, don't remember belt length, I want to say ~114"...the belt is TIGHT
10. 13 lbs @ 7000 rpm
11. Anderson power pipe
13. 580/500, 93 octane, no meth

EDIT: Opps, just saw that's Hector up there.

Anyway, no sign of belt slip.

[youtube_browser]tsjdUwYCTmg[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]dkoG6Nsb0o4[/youtube_browser]

The POLISHED V-2 SC-trim we just pulled off the car is for sale, it comes with a Vortech High-Traction 3.15" 8-rib and a couple a 6-rib pulleys. PM phillipmach1 if interested.

Last edited:

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
928 Motorsports blow off valve.

I'm pretty shocked we aren't seeing more boost with no evidence of belt slip or boost leaks.

I thought for sure we'd be seeing 16+ with the T-trim and 2.85" upper. We added a Boomba check valve to the PCV line after we discovered a PCV valve boost leak on the dyno. It didn't make any difference in overall boost level, we did gain ~5 rwhp from reduced crankcase windage.

I'm thinking about redoing vacuum lines with a vacuum block and silicon hoses when we swap to the O/D damper.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
That is very strange. You are spinning that blower almost to the same exact RPM I am.. Unless he has a smaller than stock crank pulley which would explain the boost lose.. I'm seeing 17-18psi depending on the weather.. We have almost identical setups minus my bigbore.. He's running 1/2 point more of compression too..

I'm not saying there is something wrong but that blower should be producing a lot more boost and power than what it is for that pulley combo..

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
That is very strange. You are spinning that blower almost to the same exact RPM I am.. Unless he has a smaller than stock crank pulley which would explain the boost lose.. I'm seeing 17-18psi depending on the weather.. We have almost identical setups minus my bigbore.. He's running 1/2 point more of compression too..

I'm not saying there is something wrong but that blower should be producing a lot more boost and power than what it is for that pulley combo..

He has an Innovator's West STD diameter (6.5 inch) 8-rib harmonic damper. Like you said impeller speed should be 55079 @ 7000. I really thought boost would be at least 4 lbs higher than it is at 7K but don't really know what to make of it. There is zero evidence of belt slip, when we've experienced belt slip on the dyno with 03 Cobras it's blatantly obvious when watching the boost guage, that's why why we took a video of the gauge.

Right now the plan is overdrive (10 or 15%) IW damper, redoing vacuum lines to eliminate potential boost leaks, maybe a Thumprr tensioner and a higher volume IC pump.

630 rwhp or bust.

Any thoughts on the missing boost?

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
He has an Innovator's West STD diameter (6.5 inch) 8-rib harmonic damper. Like you said impeller speed should be 55079 @ 7000. I really thought boost would be at least 4 lbs higher than it is at 7K but don't really know what to make of it. There is zero evidence of belt slip, when we've experienced belt slip on the dyno with 03 Cobras it's blatantly obvious when watching the boost guage, that's why why we took a video of the gauge.

Right now the plan is overdrive (10 or 15%) IW damper, redoing vacuum lines to eliminate potential boost leaks, maybe a Thumprr tensioner and a higher volume IC pump.

630 rwhp or bust.

Yea I hear yea. That is weird.. No belt dust or anything huh?? Interesting.. If you throw a 15% O/D on there with that current pulley you'll be spinning that thing really effin hard lol.. and if there is a problem with the vac lines and you happen to fix them then you'll be at like 22ish psi hahaha. maybe more.

My setup is a 15% O/D/ 3.33'' blower, Thumprr tensioner with stock size idler pulley.. I also have a higher volume i/c pump lol.. You should be able to hit 630rwhp no problem.

The only thing that I can think of is that there is a leak somewhere with the current setup. It should be seeing 18ish psi with that setup.. I noticed that on the dyno pull (I don't know what rpm you started at) but the boost creeped very slowly. Much slower than my car.. But they are two different cars so it's hard to tell. Keep me posted on what you come up with. I can maybe take some pics of my vacum setup and it's pretty similar..

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
Yea I hear yea. That is weird.. No belt dust or anything huh?? Interesting.. If you throw a 15% O/D on there with that current pulley you'll be spinning that thing really effin hard lol.. and if there is a problem with the vac lines and you happen to fix them then you'll be at like 22ish psi hahaha. maybe more.

Nah, no dust at all, but the boost gauge is really what convinces me there is no belt slip. Nice progressive climb, makes peak boost at peak rpm, etc. When we've seen belt slip we usually see boost fluctuating or falling off at high rpm. At this point I feel pretty confident that belt slip isn't our issue.

My setup is a 15% O/D/ 3.33'' blower, Thumprr tensioner with stock size idler pulley.. I also have a higher volume i/c pump lol.. You should be able to hit 630rwhp no problem.

If we could only get some air into this damn thing. :rolling: I'm happy with 580/500 at 13 psi with stock cubes, stock heads, and tiny OEM cams, I'm just not happy with 13 psi.

The only thing that I can think of is that there is a leak somewhere with the current setup. It should be seeing 18ish psi with that setup.. I noticed that on the dyno pull (I don't know what rpm you started at) but the boost creeped very slowly. Much slower than my car.. But they are two different cars so it's hard to tell. Keep me posted on what you come up with. I can maybe take some pics of my vacum setup and it's pretty similar..

Yeah, I would definitely like to verify boost with the redone vacuum lines first. I'm also kind of wondering if we've got a leaking blow off valve.

We started the pull at 1500 rpm, it's seeing a couple pounds of boost by 2500 rpm and climbs from there. Vaccum setup pics would be appreciated.

Would you like to come make a dyno pull at TDC in Mobile?

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Nah, no dust at all, but the boost gauge is really what convinces me there is no belt slip. Nice progressive climb, makes peak boost at peak rpm, etc. When we've seen belt slip we usually see boost fluctuating or falling off at high rpm. At this point I feel pretty confident that belt slip isn't our issue.

If we could only get some air into this damn thing. :rolling: I'm happy with 580/500 at 13 psi with stock cubes, stock heads, and tiny OEM cams, I'm just not happy with 13 psi.

Yeah, I would definitely like to verify boost with the redone vacuum lines first. I'm also kind of wondering if we've got a leaking blow off valve.

We started the pull at 1500 rpm, it's seeing a couple pounds of boost by 2500 rpm and climbs from there. Vaccum setup pics would be appreciated.

Would you like to come make a dyno pull at TDC in Mobile?

LOL yea I hear ya it's the number of psi game.. I know that feeling.. You have 13 and you're like eff that I want 17 ahahaha. You and I have the same setup for the most part except I have 04 Cobra heads and more displacement same cams 98 intake and exhaust.

A leaky bypass might be it too. It would be a pain to try to verify because it's in the stock location lol. Ahh yea I didn't think you started the pull at high rpms so that creep is about right I would say.

Let me know what you'd like some pics of and I can take some tonight. My shit is really cleaned up though so I will do my best to make sense of it all. I would love to make a pull in Mobile considering it's close to me.. Let me know when.. I don't work until Saturday :)

98blownsnake

Established Member
1998 Cobra
1. 4v B heads
2. Procharger F1a HOB cog renegade bracket
3. 4.6 .020 over CP pistons 9cc dish 9.5cr,Oliver billet rods motor built by Fastlane in NC
4. Fully ported Stage 3 "B" heads by Fastlane Motorsports in NC
5. Stock 98 cams
6. Port matched lower intake
7. Procharger sheetmetal intercooler
8. Kooks 1 3/4"x3" w/ 3" x-pipe and 3" catback
9. ATI 45t Super pulley upper and 83t lower
10. 21 psi @6800
11. Walmart strainer 4" SS $3.99
12. 687/580 on 93 and 2 nozzles of meth new pulley coming 88t lower for 26-27 psi

Last edited:

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
I'll play...

1. 2V stock longblock
2. Paxton Novi 2000 Race (cryo treated impeller, extrude honed volute)
3. Stock displacement/stock compression
4. Stock heads
5. Stock cams
6. Bullitt intake
7. CXRacing A/A FMIC, 3" piping
8. Stock manifolds, Magnaflow catted x (gutted cats), Magnaflow IRS catback
9. 3.25" blower pulley, stock crank pulley, 107.3'' (IIRC) belt
10. 13lbs@6100, 10lbs@5500
11. Homemade powerpipe
12. 404/398@13lbs, 391/372@10lbs

Peak numbers are nice, but I'm gonna keep this beast under 5500 and make this motor last :beer:

Chances50

Established Member

630 rwhp or bust.

what BPV are you running?

after watching the boost vid I think you are having some vaccum leaks it should beat 20-24in of vaccum at idle and it never went below 12-15.

Last edited:

blackbeauty1

Established Member
'03 marauder stock 6-rib and timing chain cover
1. 4v C heads
2. V1- T-trim
3. Cobra block, Diamond 10.2.1 CR, Kellogg crank, Manley rods. Stock bore and stroke
4. Stock heads
5. Stock cams
6. Self ported stock lower intake
7. Icevex A/A intercooler
8. Kooks 1 5/8" LT 2.5" x-pipe 18" magnaflows
9. Stock crank 3.12 blower pulley
10. 12psi @6500RPM
11. Custom A/A pipes
12. 521/476 on 13* timing and 650/628 on 125 wet shot.
Currently building a new motor

THAITED

Established Member
Once I get my car dyno, I will join. So many things went wrong, don't know if my rwhp is increased or decreased.

Jamie R.

Established Member
Stock '04 cobra long block
'01 intake cams swapped in instead of the '04 cobra intake cams
Ported '01 intake
Stock logs, bassani 2 1/2 cb & Bassani 2 1/2 x pipe
T56
4.30 rear gear
Procharger D1 sc with 3.2 riechard pulley
Stock 01 Cobra crank pulley
meizre ewp
8 rib conversion with thumper tensioner
23 pounds of boost
big ic which looks like a ebay cooler ( I don't know the brand)
green belt
Procharger Big Red Enclosed Race Valve & running it recirculating

Numbers hopefully soon after breaking in the new clutch, maybe another week or so.

Previous number was 552rwhp with 14 degrees timing, 6rib slipping, about 15 pounds, & spinning on the dyno. I had the 275 nittos on back & everytime around 5 grand the car would start to spin. Think the rollers were a little worn cause it def aint like my car was making enough to be doing all that:lol1:

Anybody have any guess what the car will make now? One guy says 700 which I think is very high, Im guessing 600. Oh yeah, I have 315 mickeys on the back now so that spinning should'nt be a issue now. I also picked up 6 pounds of boost with the green belt/8rib/thumper combo.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra on the Cover of MM&FF's August '07 Issue

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread