The Official MGW Shifter Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRBO VNM

it is very quiet with or without bob's gasket. I have had it on with both. I also drove around for about a week without the plastic console part installed because I wanted to change the handle position a few times and it wasn't loud at all. you could hear a bit more noise, but nothing major at all and definitely quieter than other aftermarket shifters.

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
I recommend changing your tranny fluid when you change the shifter. It is easy to refill the tranny from the top once the shifter is off.

StngStr

Mustang-less
Established Member
I just installed mine today and the blue handle is too short for my stubby arms. Will MGW exchange the blue one i got for a red one? Or, does anyone have the red one and want to trade for my blue?

04cobratorchred

I Love Being Blown
Established Member
No MGW will not do that i don't think. I had the same problem with the blue handle so i just bought the red one off a member here.

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
jackers said:
I recommend changing your tranny fluid when you change the shifter. It is easy to refill the tranny from the top once the shifter is off.

now thats a GOOD idea!! too bad ive already done mine but for anyone who hasnt changed the fluid yet, thats the time to do it.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I only had 2,000 miles on the clock during the swap, so there was no way was going to change the tranny fluid yet, but that is great advice.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I think that for now it is just best to keep this thread floating. There are so many stickies that I have a feeling it will be lost. I will find somewhere appropriate for it soon however.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Good write-up on the fluid change Jackers.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Excellent write up .... and thread!!!!

I really need to get one of these shifters SOON!!!
The GM syncromesh fluid(fantastic reputation) + Friction modifier(Ford part # XL3), is also something I WILL be doing...

I have yet to hear anything but RAVE REVIEWS!!! about both George.... And this new shifter!!!

I felt one of the 5 speed (GT) versions...

And it was like ...

No shifter I have ever shifted!!!

Incredibly precise, and smooth...

Have not heard one yet ... but all the guys I talked to that had one, said the same thing...

WAY QUIETER!!!

Nice :rockon:

Jimmy :thumbsup:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I had a Pro 5.0 shifter on my 98 and a Tri-Ax on the 03. By far, the MGW shifter is better than all of the above in terms of smoothness and ease of going into gear. Much quieter than either of the above and maybe a bit quieter than the stock shifter (it's close), but way smoother than the stocker.

So far, I've only used the longer handle, but I will try the shorter one directly. Major props to George for this piece. Very nice work and it's a damn shame to cover it up with the console cause it looks so good.

PDubs

Established Member
I was always afraid of getting a different shift due to the clunking and noises people heard with the TriAx, 5.0, Hurst, whatever. This thing has absolutely NO NOISE!! I love it! Such a change from stock.

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
venum03 said:
Can we get a group buy together?...I think George would work with us on that...

that would be great! see what you can come up with, maybe call or e-mail him

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I think that George is selling them at a very low price already considering what he has invested in them. I consider the current price to be very good. He could turn around and sell it for $200 and probably sell just as many. He is just wanting to stay competative and extend his companies name further into people's vocabulary.

Big_Torch

Banned
Just installed mine today, took about an 1.5hours, took my time. But this thing is amazing, the shifts are soooo smooth, its so damn quiet. My dad kept asking me, what is the point of this thing, whats different, I just said you'll see, and he thinks its amazing. Best $$$ anyone could spend on a stock stang.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread