The Official MGW Shifter Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Black98COBRA said:
i use my stops anyway. whats better than one set of stops, 2 sets of stops.

The problem is that if the stops are out of alignment with the tranny's stops you can damage your shift forks and gears.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
i know they can be a problem if set improperly but i've set them many times before (on other cars) and never had problems. hopefully i'll be as lucky this time.

RJCobra

Established Member
Does anyone know what makes the shifter so much smoother than the others from an engineering standpoint? Maybe George can chime in here.

venum03

Established Member
Ordered mine last night online...I'm getting the red handle...Also ordered the Cobra manual T-Handle...Stock shift knob sux...Can't wait to get it...George and company does make fine "stuff"...

montana82

Snake Bitten
Established Member
Installed mine last Friday. Shifts 500% better then OE. Reverse is a little harder to find at times though. But getting used to it.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Can someone help me with these "Stop bolts".

Can you post a pic showing them?(just so i can make sure) It says back them off 4 to 5 turns which seems simple but it keeps saying over and over how important this is and i do not want to mess up anything.

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, i guess im just anal about this. :shrug: :??:

Thanks.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
MachME said:
Can someone help me with these "Stop bolts".

Can you post a pic showing them?(just so i can make sure) It says back them off 4 to 5 turns which seems simple but it keeps saying over and over how important this is and i do not want to mess up anything.

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, i guess im just anal about this. :shrug: :??:

Thanks.

OK here ya go...
Back the stop bolts off until they are flush or slightly recessed in shifter housing(feel on the inside).... you can stick your finger in there to feel if they are backed off all the way...
Then tighten the lock nuts on the stops...
Stretch the inner most boot over the stop bolts...
and button up as per the rest of the instructions...

This shifter + Royal Purple Syncromax = PERFECTION!!!

Last edited:

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Have a fast question, on the "upper dust boot" i ended up somehow losing one of the 4 screws that holds it in place when i went back in to re-adjust the stoppers.

Ive tried looking under the seats and i think tommorow im going to pull the car out and give it one last look before i put the consoul back on(which has been off a week or so.)

My question is, will this be all right if i leave that one screw off/out?

thanks, i will try to post a pic to show you all it and just so you can see the shifter :beer:

haskett

Established Member
MachME said:
Have a fast question, on the "upper dust boot" i ended up somehow losing one of the 4 screws that holds it in place when i went back in to re-adjust the stoppers.

Ive tried looking under the seats and i think tommorow im going to pull the car out and give it one last look before i put the consoul back on(which has been off a week or so.)

My question is, will this be all right if i leave that one screw off/out?

thanks, i will try to post a pic to show you all it and just so you can see the shifter :beer:
Go to your local auto or home improvement store and buy a replacement screw. You'll avoid getting debris and rain in the car and also cut down on the road noise.

haskett

Established Member
Monday: ordered the MGW
Friday: received
Saturday: installed

I ordered a number of parts from various vendors on Monday and this was the first to arrive! Very prompt.

As others have commented, the manufacturing quality is outstanding. Directions were excellent. Installed in about an hour. I installed the handle in about the 7:30 position to get it as close to me as possible. No stops. RTV gasket.

palehorse

Established Member
Installed mine today. EASY install. Quality exceptional. Did not make as big a difference as I hoped, but well worth the 180 bucks. I think I had a bit to high expectations after reading on the positive feedback on this forum. Nonetheless a great product.

Last edited:

Wease

I Love Beavers
Established Member
Ordered mine this week, as one of the first mods I'm doing to my new Cobra. Got here today, had it installed in under an hour. WOW, what a huge difference. No more reaching for the upper gears and the throws are much shorter. Is well worth the money, great product! :coolman:

AF EOD

Established Member
This was so incredibly easy to install and the shifts feel nice and smooth.
Ordered Tuesday, recieved Friday, installed Saturday.

HKB

Established Member
I changed from the Pro 5.0 to the MGW shifter along with the Cobra Bobs silicone gasket set and this change made a world of difference! The MGW has a notchier feel and is quieter with less vibration you will never miss 3rd gear with this one and downshifts are even easier. Also the new orange handle was perfect-not too long or short. I was also careful to make sure both the upper and lower rubber "dust" boots were installed on the new shifter-it makes alot of difference in reducing the noise that comes up through the transmission tunnel opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread