• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

The Official MGW Shifter Thread.

Discussion in 'Driveline' started by HISSMAN, Jan 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReCoil

ReCoil Let it eat! Established Member

I put mine on this weekend along with a CobraBob's gasket and 4 quarts of Synchromesh fluid! This thing is night and day better, I can't believe I didn't do it sooner!! Absolutely the best money I've spent on my car, I would have bought it at twice the price!

2. Monte79

Monte79 New Member Established Member

Hello,
    I just installed the MGW shifter also with CobraBobĀ“s gasket. No problem, it was fun to do and shifting now is really great!
    But one problem I have: I installed the shift knob and because the shift lever is shorter than the original the leather boot is more squeezed than before. So when I am shifting now the whole plastic console moves a little bit towards and back because the leather boot is so stiff. Should I use another leather boot?
    Does anybody have the same problem:??:

Thilo

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  3. SVT03Chris

SVT03Chris NASM Personal Trainer Established Member

I had the Tri Ax and it was good and now I have the MGW Orange and like it also.

If I had to rate them, this is what I would rate them as:

MGW Orange - 9.5

Steeda Tri Ax - 8.5

This is out of 10.

4. Root1022

Root1022 100 Shot, 1 Kill Established Member

+1 I for sure dont regret switching to the MGW, but I never thouht the Tri-Ax was TERRIBLE! Just not quite as smooth!

5. strong_j

strong_j Member Established Member

Installed mine today and it feels great, but question i have.
    I notice everybody's handle is at a slant.
    is it suppose to be striaght or is it suppose to be at a slant?? if so how much of a slant??

6. Spoolx

Spoolx Active Member Established Member

I put mine on today, what an amazing feel.. the quality is the best I have ever seen in a shifter

7. saleencobra

saleencobra Active Member Established Member

will the stock shifter ball work with the orange MGW? or is there ball the only option

8. Rooster1969

Rooster1969 New Member Established Member

Just curious,.... Recently purchased an 04 Cobra, I can`t stand the factory shifter. Prior to this, the last manual trans car I had was a 96 Miata (12 years ago), amazing shifter. Could a comparison be made between the two as far as feel, ease, and smoothness?

9. nooner

nooner New Member Established Member

While the MGW shifter seems to be the most popular shifter for these cars you may be able to feel some improvement with the anti-venom shift mod...
    http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/686622-want-smoother-shifts-try.html

10. Rooster1969

Rooster1969 New Member Established Member

Ordered mine today. Should arrive before all of the ice melts off of my car. So, for now,......It sit`s,.......It waits.

11. z28Eater

z28Eater Hemi's Worst Nightmare Established Member

about to order mine, well maybe. i am like 6'6 or so and need something where the handle comes back more, in my 99 i had one of those upr rock crawler handles and loved it, anyone have an idea about how much further back the orange comes towards you?

12. Alscobra

Alscobra Member Established Member

I would like to thank SVTP. Just switched from a Tri-Ax to MGW. Big and much better difference. Had a slight problem with the MGW when it came in but fantastic customer service over there and problem resolved easily. MGW is a superior shifter for sure.

13. obZidian

obZidian New Member Established Member

Anyone have pics with the shifter in the different gear position? How far back does it go compared to the stock shifter?

Also, did this shifter help anyone not miss 3rd anymore? It's a bear of a gear to find!

14. ericsnow25

ericsnow25 New Member Established Member

Just ordered this with the Silver handle (I have long monkey arms, so reach is no problem). Look forward to shifting faster than the long throw/tall stock POS.

15. ColorMatched

ColorMatched grayongrayongrayongray Established Member

Anyone have any issue with it being really easy to pop out of 3rd gear if you're just coasting? I notice that if I barely even have my hand on the shifter once it hits the sweet spot in RPMs it comes out of 3rd really easy. Don't know if this is a quirk of the MGW or just the T56, or if I should just not be a bitch about it???

16. Competition

Competition Hood Rich Established Member

Put a PRO 5.0 in my Cobra last week and hate that piece of shit. Just bought an MGW and can't wait to install it. If it's anything like the MGW in my 01 Cobra, I'll love it.

17. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member

Lance, why did you install the Pro 5.0 rather than the MGW to begin with? Especially after having one in your '01 since you have been very happy with it. Shame on you! LOL!

18. miztigerszou52

miztigerszou52 New Member Established Member

Just wanted to say this shifter is definately a great improvement over stock especially in the NVH category as I used MGW's inner boot plus a Cobrabob gasket. Good writeup as well.

19. EATONU

EATONU gitsome Established Member

I've had my cobra for about a year... and have done nothing but complain about the garbage shifter in it... after reading all 8 pages of writeups i think ive actually just got a stock shifter with the original mgw handle on it... explains why i complained about third gear ALL THE TIME ahha... Cant wait. Shifter, gaskets, and my dignity on order :)

quick question, anyone seen the Org. Handle ever come in silver? worse yet i must have a knock off mgw handle lol

20. Excessv

Excessv New Member Established Member

The wife just ordered mine today! Now that was a shock :)
    She even ordered the extra blue Handel that is adjustable:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.