The Official MGW Shifter Thread.

Lord Warlock

Established Member
Thanks alot for the thread, it is very informative and straight forward to assist me in swapping out my own shifter for my 04 cobra. I'd planned on buying the shfiter next month for my 45th bday, but after i let my dad (another mustang fanatic) drive the car during his last visit, he was appalled by the quality of the stock shifter, as well as the stiff clutch pressure, and today I got a check in the mail to order the new shifter early. I'd told him to skip sending a present this year, just send a few bucks to help offset the price of the shifter, wasn't expecting a check large enough to cover the whole thing. Anyway, I ordered the shifter today, and should be installing it in a week or so when it arrives.

Guess I'll order the gasket from bob. Even I can afford that much...lol.

Thanks again,

Lord Warlock

Easy

Live Fast Die Fun
Established Member
what handles are available now through MGW? i think the car i bought is comin with a red handle, but only being 5'7 i would probab'y prefer the blue.

snackpack

Established Member
They actually only make a gold handle now. MGW stopped making the blue and red handle style, as far as I know. I've seen the different handles selling on the forum for pretty cheap.

Easy

Live Fast Die Fun
Established Member
snackpack said:
They actually only make a gold handle now. MGW stopped making the blue and red handle style, as far as I know. I've seen the different handles selling on the forum for pretty cheap.

orange handle you mean? which is a mix between the blue & the red correct..?

GodStang

Established Member
Easy said:
orange handle you mean? which is a mix between the blue & the red correct..?

Orange or gold they are the same just depends how you see it. But yes that is it. I am installing mine now thanks for the how-to.

TRMNATR

Established Member
Mine came with the Gold handle, and the install only took about 1/2 hour. It definately made a HUGE difference on the 2-3 shift, and it is quieter than stock. After about 10,000 miles, it doesn't make a sound. The reach is great for a person 5-8 like me, but I think taller folks with longer legs have to move the seat back further which gives them a longer reach to the stick.

It takes more force to shift with less mechanical leverage which came as a surprised me, but it makes sense. I have never used another shifter on the Cobra, but it blows the stock shifter away. You won't regret installing one.

According to MGW, the T-56 has built in shift stops, so the only thing they can do is come loose and damage your gears when it pops out of gear under load.

Last edited:

N S

Wants to go faster
Established Member
My shifter base isn't engraved. How can I tell which side faces the engine and which faces the back seat?

mystic04

Established Member
Question sorry to hi jack this but when changing the shifter do you need to have the isolator cup the little plastic thing that the shifter balls sits in i think i lost mine and didn't notice when i installed it without the cup should i get another one????

pur pony

Established Member
has anyone installed one of these handles without the leather boot or got a shorter boot? I am thinking of installing one of these shifter in my car.. however, i think they are just too nice to cover up. I was thinking of removing the orange/gold finish and polishing it, then making a small aluminum sleeve to slid over the exposed threads when the shiifter is in place and make a shorter leather boot.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Sounds like an interesting idea. Keep us posted.

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread