The Random Weather Thread

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Snapped this on my way home from fishing with my nephew. Grove City, Ohio.
f8a8570e23721c240e63bde70c5b5629.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Nice little shelf there, hope the fish bit for ya

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Nice little shelf there, hope the fish bit for ya
Yep. Nephew hit 3 largemouth with a red and black worm. They hit it almost every time he threw it out. I hit one with the ole go to, haha. Whopper plopper always gets me atleast one bass. Blue gill at will and no dice on any catfish bites, but we did fine for the 2 hours we were out there. Got cut short for some reason....haha.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Man, did we ever get hammered with rain yesterday. Got about 6 inches in a hour. Flooded the street from swale to swale. It was raining so hard picture didn't turn out.

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
Man, did we ever get hammered with rain yesterday. Got about 6 inches in a hour. Flooded the street from swale to swale. It was raining so hard picture didn't turn out.
yep I was watching that, as we had the same thing a few times earlier in the week in the late afternoons. Seems to be crossing the state west to east so far this year. Looks like that pattern may have broken up.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
No pics, but man did we get smoked with a mighty storm last night around 16:45. Lasted about an hour maybe. Friggin' monsoon! Gusty as hell, small hail, lots of branches down... Lightning struck so close by that I saw sparks bouncing off my first floor gutter. Power flickered off and on. Dish receiver started hissing and frying. The garage door opener for the 2-car side decided to open randomly and proceeded to keep trying to open further even after it was maxed. Wall button wouldn't do anything so had to unplug it to get it to stop. One-car side opened up fine after the storm, but then wouldn't close. Noticed the indicator lights on the photo eyes weren't lit, but the openers themselves have power. Garage lights inside and outside don't work. Tripped the GFCI for the garage fridge even though it's on a separate breaker from the other stuff. No breakers were tripped. Wild times. You guys down south are probably used to this shit. lol

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
101⁰F
A pop up storm. >75mph measured winds,
Place down the street lost it's roof.
78 after the storm. Drive home west, it's dry and 99 and humid still.
This storm had no warnings lol

That palet was on the east side of the building, this door is facing west.
22106b7cbd140c3a26df9631a55f08e4.gif
e15c303ed40deab890381ea5e4456e03.jpg
0e808c6490ac16dda65304058fda2eae.jpg
09cdc964ced6c49845f757ec79c10e16.jpg
646c2a88d8bb7201976ec073bb6c9014.jpg

Sent from my S22 Ultra using Tapatalk

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Summertime single celled storms that the bottom falls out of are some of the toughest to warn on. You've almost gotta warn on them before they've reached severe criteria because by the time radar data shows they are severe A-the data is already behind what the storm is doing in real time, B-they've already peaked and are in the end of their life cycle

blownfox

Established Member
It was raining hard and windy as hell when I got off work at 5:45 yesterday. On k96 between Oliver and Webb it was pretty bad. I heard the Midas on rock and K96 lost its roof.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Oh boy, microbursts.

My family was flying back from Mexico and was coming in for a landing and they went into one. Hit some nasty turbulance and the engines fired up to full tilt as they tried to climb back out of it. My sister in law said it was just a choir of people throwing up all at once.

Of course they don't supply barf bags on economy flights anymore.

I also had another friend who was flying in a Cirrus and hit a down draft or something, they were about 3500' off the ground, flew into it, and lost like 1500' in elevation in 30 seconds.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Summertime single celled storms that the bottom falls out of are some of the toughest to warn on. You've almost gotta warn on them before they've reached severe criteria because by the time radar data shows they are severe A-the data is already behind what the storm is doing in real time, B-they've already peaked and are in the end of their life cycle
Pop-up storms are very hard to pin down if you don't have a time machine. Usually we'll get the "significant weather advisories" to cover these storms, but this one was "explosive" in terms of growth.

What is interesting is there was a ww for another cell in the SW corner of the county.
Oddly this wind was not the death rattle of either storm, it was just a narrow/focused strait line wind going strait north from the storm above while in a phase of explosive growth, with very little shear as wind aloft were weak, even surface level winds were calm (and thankfully only a few pieces of pea sized hail as it lacked the time to keep the pieces cycling/growing aloft.) On radar you could see the outflow boundaries shooting out 360* around the cells like rocks on a pond, more like what you'd see in Florida or somewhere tropical. This cell started drifting east after about 20-30 mins. Watch the NE side of Wichita, near Minneha 5:28-31 were when the strongest winds hit based on my cameras.
5YP54PNO6NHSBLHDOPAV5YAS6U.jpg

Microburst or Downburst....VERY DANGEROUS!!o_O:oops:

Yes... Especially flying when taking off or landing.

Last edited:

Coosawjack

Established Member
Pop-up storms are very hard to pin down if you don't have a time machine. Usually we'll get the "significant weather advisories" to cover these storms, but this one was "explosive" in terms of growth.

What is interesting is there was a ww for another cell in the SW corner of the county.
Oddly this wind was not the death rattle of either storm, it was just a narrow/focused strait line wind going strait north from the storm above while in a phase of explosive growth, with very little shear as wind aloft were weak, even surface level winds were calm (and thankfully only a few pieces of pea sized hail as it lacked the time to keep the pieces cycling/growing aloft.) On radar you could see the outflow boundaries shooting out 360* around the cells like rocks on a pond, more like what you'd see in Florida or somewhere tropical. This cell started drifting east after about 20-30 mins. Watch the NE side of Wichita, near Minneha 5:28-31 were when the strongest winds hit based on my cameras.
5YP54PNO6NHSBLHDOPAV5YAS6U.jpg

Yes... Especially flying when taking off or landing.

YES Sir.......Ground Proximity means everything when FLYING especially in foul Wx!!:oops:

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
We had a freak storm happen today in SoCal. 2 days ago the truck said it was 105° outside and today its in the 70’s. News is reporting someone was struck my lightning in this storm too.

7c98d06d1510f166f7b90fcdfc341cd0.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
c1da4f0a038ce9427fea1dabc42999b1.png

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
Holy chit! How'd you capture that 2nd image? Most pros spend years trying to get that shot.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Holy chit! How'd you capture that 2nd image? Most pros spend years trying to get that shot.

I cheated and was recording the storm. It was a screenshot from the video. What’s crazy is how it affected the bottom of the image like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread