The rear suspension that could have been

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
I hate to say it, but it looks like this deal has hit a dead end and the IRS will continue to collect dust. Sorry to disappoint... I am very disappointed myself. If circumstances change I will let the forum know.

With the Mustang's competition, the Camaro, Challenger having an IRS, I really don't see how Ford can keep supplying their pony with a century old SRA... ! :( I know Ford can do better & it's sad they still have presented this new chassis with anything other then a horizontal stick back there. :nonono:

chuckstang

Established Member
With the Mustang's competition, the Camaro, Challenger having an IRS, I really don't see how Ford can keep supplying their pony with a century old SRA... ! :( I know Ford can do better & it's sad they still have presented this new chassis with anything other then a horizontal stick back there. :nonono:

The horizontal stick outperforms all those cars listed above with ease

Give it a rest. I bet I could let you drive my car and tell you its got an IRS and you'd love it, until I told you it has a sold axle.

An IRS is inevidable but it is not needed right now

Dave07997S

Established Member
The horizontal stick outperforms all those cars listed above with ease

Give it a rest. I bet I could let you drive my car and tell you its got an IRS and you'd love it, until I told you it has a sold axle.

An IRS is inevidable but it is not needed right now

The Camaro didn't do as well due to weight Chuck and the car being undertired. The Camaro is running a 245 front tire on a car that weighs 3800lbs, not to mention very vague steering in the Camaro.

As you say it is inevitable so I think Ford should just move on with it and welcome the Mustang into the 21st Century.

Dave

chuckstang

Established Member
Actually the reviews were the opposite. the camaro just drives like crap regardless of the weight even on the streets where an IRS is suppose to shine

If I could have an IRS in my car that did not add weight or wheel hop or any negatives, sure I'd rather have one.

But my comment holds true, the current stang does not need one. Not until other cars of same price start to outperform it. Once they the competition starts to handle better, Ford will go with an IRS, but that won't happen until 2014 with the change over IMO

Dave07997S

Established Member
Actually the reviews were the opposite. the camaro just drives like crap regardless of the weight even on the streets where an IRS is suppose to shine

If I could have an IRS in my car that did not add weight or wheel hop or any negatives, sure I'd rather have one.

But my comment holds true, the current stang does not need one. Not until other cars of same price start to outperform it. Once they the competition starts to handle better, Ford will go with an IRS, but that won't happen until 2014 with the change over IMO

Chuck your comments holds true to you...don't speak for everyone else please, especially not for me who has experience with both sides of the coin when it comes to an IRS and a LRA. The Camaro does bad only because of poor implementation on behalf of the Camaro and the huge weight disadvantage.

chuckstang

Established Member
HUH

I have owned both an IRS Mustang and this SRA Mustang

Has Mr. Clean owned one of the new SRA Mustangs, that is the question

Ford IS NOT going to invest in an IRS until the competition warrants it, anotherwords, until other comparable cars start to outperform it, Ford will continue to sell the less expensive solid axle. IMO Ford will never introduce an IRS if the competition does not warrant it.

The only reason Ford stepped up their game with the 2011 GT500 is because of soon to be released z28.

Competition is the only reason we have high performance cars, period. Manufacturers are not in business to make high performing cars, they are in business for one reason and one reason only, to make money. Ford is the best at skimping out wherever possible, but hey, thats why we are not paying M3 prices for our Mustangs, yet.

Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
The benefit of an IRS is not just performance and no doubt a solid axle can be set up to handle superbly... but it will never be able to match the ride/performance balance that an IRS can provide.

Users who are viewing this thread