Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grand Cherokee 4x4

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aaron97

Cobra is King
Established Member
So I will be moving this winter to South Korea, where it rains and snows quite a bit. I am currently in the EU in a RHD country, so I wont be taking my cars from here, and will need a new car for Korea. I’ve lived in Korea before for over 4 years, and I had a Wrangler 4-dr Rubicon, and that was just a little to big once lifted and 35’s installed. So I am looking for something fun, reliable, and preferable AWD/4x4. Having a trunk that fits a set of golf clubs would be a plus.

Here are a few of the options I have thought of. I would really appreciate any info from people who actually own a Porsche or GT-R.

1. Nissan GT-R
2. Porsche 911 4S/Turbo (basically any of the AWD trim)
3. ’21 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Trailhawk or Overland)
4. ’21 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
5. GT350 (with an extra set of snow tires, or by a cheap SUV for winter)
6. ’21 Mach-1 (with an extra set of snow tires, or by a cheap SUV for winter

Last edited:

CobraSam

Established Member
This is easy, Toyota 4Runner.
I personally have a 2004 4Runner with the 4.7 v8. It’s also a AWD with e- lock Diff and transfer case. 3” lift with GY duratracs. Best vehicle I’ve ever owned for winter driving. She’s got 172K on her and runs like a dream. I drive that over my Super Duty in a snow storm, all the time.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
911 turbo would be my pick.

Surprisingly reliable package for being german and they really hold their value now, may even gain some value if you get lucky on the purchase.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
Porsche would be the choice off the cars listed. Personally when I think of a fun little daily with awd my mind goes straight to a WRX.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
While I like the Carrera 4S and believe that it would make a great 4 seasons car, where are you going to put a set of golf clubs? Roof rack?

Also, I would be nervous driving it daily in the snow/ice with idiots all around me; unless your commute is in an unpopulated/low traffic volume area.

aaron97

Cobra is King
Established Member
Porsche would be the choice off the cars listed. Personally when I think of a fun little daily with awd my mind goes straight to a WRX.

Actually, I just sold my '04 WRX STi here in Cyprus. It was fun, but not great for daily use. It was JDM, which are geared lower than the US cars, so with a 60km round-trip drive to work each day, it cost me 100 euros a week in gas. That's why I picked up a BMW 5-series for my daily use, as it gets 29mpg.

Last edited:

aaron97

Cobra is King
Established Member
While I like the Carrera 4S and believe that it would make a great 4 seasons car, where are you going to put a set of golf clubs? Roof rack?

Also, I would be nervous driving it daily in the snow/ice with idiots all around me; unless your commute is in an unpopulated/low traffic volume area.

Clubs will fit in a 911 Targa, but for the Carrera/Turbo, they'll have to ride shotgun.

I'll be in a slightly more rural area of Korea, smaller city near Seoul. One thing to keep in mind is the locals grow up driving in such conditions every winter, so its not quit as bad as you might think. Plus they are quick to clear the roads in the mornings. I never had a problem when I was there before. It was usually the US soldiers in the area that have the biggest problem, as they are not used to it.

Last edited:

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
How about a Focus RS?

AWD/Manual/Over-sized Compact/Fun-to-drive.... plus decent fuel mileage if Fuel costs are $5 a gallon [as it is in Japan]....

IA Shelby

Established Member
Feedback from an actual GTR owner. For a DD, you need to look at 2017+.
09-11 rough as hell
12-14 rough but very fast(2013 fastest model year ever built for GTR)
15-16 a lift softer, noise reduction,
17+ much better ride and still fast

Mine is 17. Bought it new and 25k miles on it. Have two sets of wheels and tires. Michelin alpin for the winter. Handles like a beast in snow and rain. Aside from normal maintence, my only issue was a front seat issue on the bolster that was replaced under warranty. Bigger dealer network to service. Went FBO a year ago, no issues. DCT is very good but not as good as pdk in 911.

911 turbo or 4S. Great cars obviously but a turbo is very expensive car to purchase and maintain. How many Porsche dealers would be close by in Korea? If you have the excess coin buy a 911 but don’t discount the newer GTR’s.

older 997 turbo’s have stopped depreciating but 991 turbos are still falling. The GT3’s are the models that hold their value.

Last edited:

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Feedback from an actual GTR owner. For a DD, you need to look at 2017+.
09-11 rough as hell
12-14 rough but very fast(2013 fastest model year ever built for GTR)
15-16 a lift softer, noise reduction,
17+ much better ride and still fast

Agreed ^ although personally the rawness of the few year model years had me sold. Rough sure but that could be eliminated, it felt like a old school euro import and didn’t glide the new ones due. I guess different strokes for different folks. The 13’ only claim to fame was that in 14+ the changed the ECU so the flash in the 13’ was the fastest out the box. And who know how many 13’ brought theirs into for the volunteer reflash when the update came out.

Users who are viewing this thread