Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grand Cherokee 4x4

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aaron97

Cobra is King
Established Member
Feedback from an actual GTR owner. For a DD, you need to look at 2017+.
09-11 rough as hell
12-14 rough but very fast(2013 fastest model year ever built for GTR)
15-16 a lift softer, noise reduction,
17+ much better ride and still fast

Mine is 17. Bought it new and 25k miles on it. Have two sets of wheels and tires. Michelin alpin for the winter. Handles like a beast in snow and rain. Aside from normal maintence, my only issue was a front seat issue on the bolster that was replaced under warranty. Bigger dealer network to service. Went FBO a year ago, no issues. DCT is very good but not as good as pdk in 911.

911 turbo or 4S. Great cars obviously but a turbo is very expensive car to purchase and maintain. How many Porsche dealers would be close by in Korea? If you have the excess coin buy a 911 but don’t discount the newer GTR’s.

older 997 turbo’s have stopped depreciating but 991 turbos are still falling. The GT3’s are the models that hold their value.
When you say the early GTRs are "rough", how would you compare them to a GT500 with SVTPP suspension? I just spent the last 5 years driving a STi on coilovers, so I'm not looking for super rough. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

aaron97

Cobra is King
Established Member
How about a Focus RS?

AWD/Manual/Over-sized Compact/Fun-to-drive.... plus decent fuel mileage if Fuel costs are $5 a gallon [as it is in Japan]....

I agree, that would be a fun car for the area. But I test drove one a couple years ago and the interior was a bit to small for me.

Last edited:

aaron97

Cobra is King
Established Member
Where did you encounter these not bad drivers? Sure as **** not in the ROK.
I've lived in Japan, Korea, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, and currently Europe. Believe me, as a whole, the Koreans are not bad drivers. There are dumbasses no matter where you go, but EU, SA, and UAE are full of bad drivers.

Last edited:

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
When you say the early GTRs are "rough", how would you compare them to a GT500 with SVTPP suspension? I just spent the last 5 years driving a STi on coilovers, so I'm not looking for super rough. Thanks for the info.

I’ll answer this with my limited knowledge and then hopefully someone else follows up. Personally, how are the roads you’re driving? I know nothing of Korea. I know switching into R mode setting isn't that going to be too stiff on smooth roads, but not something I could drive on the daily with less than stellar payment. Now in R Id say it’s gonna driving like a lowered/enhanced version of 2011-14 gt500, it can get a little jarring and noisy. You’re not gonna be breaking loose unless you’re actively trying. It’s stock exhaust as well as the cabin is pretty tame in comparison to a gt500. The interior is vastly better too. If you leave the Stock suspension in and keep it in comfort mode, I couldn’t see you having anything but a smile. Now if you’re looking for a daily I’d look for a later model as they’ve only added comfort and technology persay if we’re comparing a 2009 vs like ones 5 to 6 years later.

The Stock GTR least a 2011 compares to the 2010 Nismo 370Z for ride firmness when you’re in comfort mode. In terms of seat times, sits like a Lexus GS430. I’d say in has a stiffer handling than a BMW 3 series with the M package.

Last edited:

IA Shelby

Established Member
At 6-k
I've lived in Japan, Korea, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, and currently Europe. Believe me, as a whole, the Koreans are not bad drivers. There are dumbasses no matter where you go, but EU, SA, and UAE are full of bad drivers.

This is the exact kind of insight I was hoping for. Thank you!
I already considered Porsche maintenance availability and there are several Porsche dealer/service centers in the area. I was considering buying a local Porsche preowned certified, but there is a VAT tax imposed on imports, which drove up their pricing around 40%. I'm only wanting to spend around $60k so trying to get a newer GTR or 911 might be off the table. When you say the early GTRs are "rough", how would you compare them to a GT500 with SVTPP suspension? I just spent the last 5 years driving a STi on coilovers, so I'm not looking for super rough. Thanks for the info.
At 60k you Likely being looking at 09-11 cba GTR or a higher mileage 12-13 DBA GTR. The 09-11 will ride a lot more stiff than a GT500 with svtp. They are also very “loud and cranky”. When you have essentially a sealed carbon fiber underbody, any noise from the active diff and other components transmits into the cabin. It gets better when you go to the 12-13 but still firm and loud. I owned a 11 GT500 For 7 years so I have a pretty good reference point.

You will not find a suitable 911 turbo in my opinion for 60k.

I think I would look at other options than either the GTR or 911 at that price point. Does the KIA stinger come in AWD. Buy one once you get to Korea. Probably pick them up cheap compared to importing other options.

good luck on your move.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I’ve owned a lot of cars, and to this day I still miss my GT-R!
Had a 350, not very exciting as a street car.
Just sold my 20 GT500, was lacking a lot.

Recon

Established Member
Out of all of those Trackhawk then 911. Be careful on the 911’s they can get pricey quick if you’re not cautious.

Pick your poison.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Having also lived/driven in many different places in the world...Korea is full of shitty drivers.

IA Shelby

Established Member

Curious what you found lacking on the 20 GT500. The Admin on the FordGT500 forum who (frequently posts videos here as well) posts multiple messages everyday how simply amazing the car. Like it is the greatest car ever produced by a factor of 10. I am sure it is a major step up but would be interested to hear other perspectives as well.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Curious what you found lacking on the 20 GT500. The Admin on the FordGT500 forum who (frequently posts videos here as well) posts multiple messages everyday how simply amazing the car. Like it is the greatest car ever produced by a factor of 10. I am sure it is a major step up but would be interested to hear other perspectives as well.
For the price, it did not feel like a $83xxx car. Its a mustang with a big ass motor.
My 14 felt more "raw" and muscle car feeling. The new shelby lacked the instant torque (sure a tune will fix that) that I have become accustomed to. The car really wakes up in 3rd gear.
The interior was boring and again, for the price should have been a little more plush. The recaro seats are very very uncomfortable.
The rotary shift knob has got to be the stupidest looking shifter to be put in a car.
The center arm rest is useless.
It wins in the looks department, and I tried to love it as a whole. Just wasn't feeling it.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
If it snows a lot, why wouldn't you want a Jeep 4X4, so you have no worries about getting out and about?
Probably your best bet of all those listed on your list.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
If it were I and under staying under 60k. I’d go (no order) older GTR, new Jeep GC (you can tinker around with them too, for suspension and F/I), a S type Tesla - don’t count those out man ;) I am a fan and it’s a dream to drive in snow. Just for some runner -up F type AWD Jag or Lexus IS 350 Awd?

..the stinger either, although I’ve never driven or owner one... heard it’s good especially because parts are are dirty cheap especially being in Korea,

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member

Damn, GT500 is gone already? That was quick.

aaron97

Cobra is King
Established Member
If it were I and under staying under 60k. I’d go (no order) older GTR, new Jeep GC (you can tinker around with them too, for suspension and F/I), a S type Tesla - don’t count those out man ;) I am a fan and it’s a dream to drive in snow. Just for some runner -up F type AWD Jag or Lexus IS 350 Awd?

..the stinger either, although I’ve never driven or owner one... heard it’s good especially because parts are are dirty cheap especially being in Korea,

The Telsa S is nice, one of my coworkers has one. But I don’t think Korea is fully set up to accommodate EV charging yet. I’ll have to live in an apartment, since houses are insanely expensive, so I’m not sure there will be a place to plug-in. I’m leaning towards the GC-Overland the most right now. I really wanted the F-Type R (awd) but the limitless negative reviews about their reliability has persuaded me to not consider them anymore.

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
Porsche Mecan turbo/S or Cayanne Turbo/S if you do more mountain

Porsche turbo s if all or mostly all city

I brought up the SUV’s since you had a wrangler before but seem to want a Porsche now

if two cars, get a 4runner, sequoia or etc Toyota suv 2000’s, and also get a used 911 something if you have money for maintenance.

I’m about to pick up a gen 2 manual cts-v for a daily driver, we have horrible winters here but I have older trucks and suv’s

aaron97

Cobra is King
Established Member
Porsche Mecan turbo/S or Cayanne Turbo/S if you do more mountain

Porsche turbo s if all or mostly all city

I brought up the SUV’s since you had a wrangler before but seem to want a Porsche now

if two cars, get a 4runner, sequoia or etc Toyota suv 2000’s, and also get a used 911 something if you have money for maintenance.

I’m about to pick up a gen 2 manual cts-v for a daily driver, we have horrible winters here but I have older trucks and suv’s
Cayanne Turbo/S would be great and I really like the look of the Mecan, but it has reliability issues from all the shared Audi/VW parts.

I can handle the cost of "maintenance", its the cost for "repairs" that I prefer to avoid, if you get my meaning.

An early '00s Tacoma 4x4 and a Shelby GT350 or Mach-1 would be great combo... Fun in the summer, yet capable in winter and keeps things open for camping trips.

Last edited:

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
**** Korea
I drove a $200 Hyundai for 14 months. Like driving a zero turn and didn't give 2 squirts of piss who car I hit, doors I dented or mopeds flattened going through an intersection. lol

Only those that have been to korea, will understand.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
**** Korea
I drove a $200 Hyundai for 14 months. Like driving a zero turn and didn't give 2 squirts of piss who car I hit, doors I dented or mopeds flattened going through an intersection. lol

Only those that have been to korea, will understand.

Did the same thing with a Prelude when in Japan, slightly better than what I saw in SK. Think the craziest place Ive seen was Thailand, that place is on a whole other level.

Users who are viewing this thread