The Taurus SHO is the fastest, most expensive Ford sedan

Jiffy

Established Member
I remember hearing about the exec team on this car, so rumour has it - they went to a Honda owners club event, and they were amazed how enthusiastic the owners were, they were apparently promoting capabilities of their cars as being fabulous (VVTI or VTEC or whatever they had back then) without even realising their cars didn't have those features.

Ford decided that they wanted to produce a car that engendered that level of owner pride and enthusiasm.

Hence - the Taurus....

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I had a 90 SHO just like that. I bought it in 98 from the original owner with 48k miles. I drove it about a year and a half as my daily. Sold it for exactly what I paid for it. I enjoyed it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If only Ford would repeat the original SHO success with a proper and exciting lighter 4-door sedan with big power.

Great video, Sid!

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a ‘92 SHO and autocrossed it. Eventually, I had the SHO Shop in Huntington Beach slap on a 6lb Powerdyne Supercharger. After that, it went like a raped ape, but also ate transaxles. When I sold it in ‘99, it was making 330hp to the wheels.

delvin.a

Established Member
I’ll never forget going to 5 Star Ford in 89-90 and my dads reaction to seeing a black SHO on the lot. This 6’2” 230lb 40 something man starts jumping up and down pointing and repeating “this is it Raymalee! They have one!”

Needless to say he bought it, a black on grey leather 5spd car that my mother drove for 4-5 years. You thought he was driving it didn’t you? Nope, he had a fully loaded 87 GT vert as a daily that my mother bought him on his 40th. I hadn’t thought about that in years, awesome video thanks for posting that Sid.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
If only Ford would repeat the original SHO success with a proper and exciting lighter 4-door sedan with big power.

Great video, Sid!

It would have been nice if the Fusion Sport was tweeked a bit with that formula.

I’ll never forget going to 5 Star Ford in 89-90 and my dads reaction to seeing a black SHO on the lot. This 6’2” 230lb 40 something man starts jumping up and down pointing and repeating “this is it Raymalee! They have one!”

Needless to say he bought it, a black on grey leather 5spd car that my mother drove for 4-5 years. You thought he was driving it didn’t you? Nope, he had a fully loaded 87 GT vert as a daily that my mother bought him on his 40th. I hadn’t thought about that in years, awesome video thanks for posting that Sid.

Awesome

rpalmer

What's the hurry?
Established Member
Loved my SHO!

Now drive a 2012 Audi S4. Same idea. Spacious, luxurious, powerful, handles well, stick, 4 doors to carry four in comfort quickly.

Comparing the two, about the only technology the SHO didn't have is all wheel drive. Otherwise the similarities are DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, ABS, leather, decent sound system, etc.

Only thing missing on the Audi are the pump up seat squeezers so the Ford was ahead in that regard.

-RP​

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
It would have been nice if the Fusion Sport was tweeked a bit with that formula.

Awesome

Fusion sport was actually pretty close comparison. Great car, 2.7 with AWD, a manual option would of been nice with option RS brakes.

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
Good video.

I kind of miss those times and simpler way of life.....

Cars reviewed in magazines and going to the annual auto shows to see the new models.

The world is always in a bit hurry now....

Sent from my SM-G991U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
My wife drives a '15 SHO. It's a great full-sized fast enough couch. I wish Ford would have thrown this through the SVT group rather than refit the Police Interceptor package. It's good enough in a straight line, but the bulk isn't handled real well, and is shaky on the turns. I'm interested in another full size 4 door V8 AWD GT car. It would be great to get one with a 6M also.

Neighbor has a daily driver Fusion Sport with 425 HP. That thing moves out nice.

Squeezed out with help from the svtperformance.com mobile app

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Drove across the country last year in a one owner 200k mile 91 SHO (some of you may remember that thread)

Its fun to hear the IMRC's open up when you cross 4500rpm

DSC_3119-X4.jpg

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
My wife drives a '15 SHO. It's a great full-sized fast enough couch. I wish Ford would have thrown this through the SVT group rather than refit the Police Interceptor package. It's good enough in a straight line, but the bulk isn't handled real well, and is shaky on the turns.

Squeezed out with help from the svtperformance.com mobile app

I drive a 16 as my daily - it's my second SHO. You're right; it's "fast enough" as a daily, and $600 in tunes/plugs/MAP make a HUGE difference.

I have to be honest . . . the "couch" feel, i.e. how smooth the car rides and accelerates, is what makes it so nice. If I'm being honest, most of the time, I enjoy it more than my 900HP Mustang.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I remember hearing about the exec team on this car, so rumour has it - they went to a Honda owners club event, and they were amazed how enthusiastic the owners were, they were apparently promoting capabilities of their cars as being fabulous (VVTI or VTEC or whatever they had back then) without even realising their cars didn't have those features.

Ford decided that they wanted to produce a car that engendered that level of owner pride and enthusiasm.

Hence - the Taurus....

It's strange to think that the huge Honda meets of clapped out Hondas with fart cannons in parking lots has completely evaporated in the past 5 years or so. They still hold a huge cache as far as the brand goes for reliability, but their enthusiast following has disappeared. Then again, that seems to be part of a greater societal shift.

Now at Ford- best I can do is an old nameplate we slapped on an existing milquetoast platform and expect you to kiss our asses for it.

Drove across the country last year in a one owner 200k mile 91 SHO (some of you may remember that thread)

Its fun to hear the IMRC's open up when you cross 4500rpm

The partnership with Yamaha on the engine was a bizarre one, but damn if it didn't bring an incredible result. Their tuning of the exhaust note was always what really stood out to me on those cars. You could tell one was a SHO just from it driving by. And if I was behind the wheel it would be awfully difficult to not wring it out to get that signature note every chance I got.

Users who are viewing this thread