The Tick - TSB - anyone verify?

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2870

From that thread:

Printable View (7 KB)
Article No.
03-11-4 ENGINE - MUSTANG COBRA - TICK NOISE FROM ENGINE - COBRA VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ENGINES BUILT BEFORE 11/1/2002 ONLY

Publication Date: May 23, 2003

FORD: 2003 MUSTANG

ISSUE:
Some 2003 Mustang Cobra vehicles with engines built before 11/1/2002 may exhibit an unusual engine tick noise that is present at all temperatures during idle. This noise may be due to valve guide wear in the left bank cylinder head. Guide wear manifests itself as a tick noise which can be heard at the rear of LH head, through LH catalyst, at the LH front wheel well and may not be heard with the hood open.

ACTION:
Use the diagnostic procedures listed in this article to evaluate the vehicle condition and replace the cylinder head if applicable. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
NOTE: THIS REPLACEMENT CYLINDER HEAD WILL NOT IMPROVE OR REDUCE PERFORMANCE.

In order to diagnose noise, the following items must be checked.

Verify noise by placing a stethoscope on the back of the left head near the exhaust ports.
Verify that the noise is heard in the left side exhaust system (left side wheel well or catalytic converter, from underneath the vehicle).
Try to isolate the noise by canceling the cylinders, by unplugging the injectors one at a time (start with #8 cylinder).
Verify that there are no exhaust manifold leaks.
Check to make sure that the camshaft spacers are in place. If not, install cam spacers (per Workshop Manual Section 303-01C) and retest vehicle.
Check for proper cam sprocket bolt torque, retorque to spec listed in the Workshop Manual Section 303-01C.
Check for spongy lash adjusters (refer to Section 303-00 in the corresponding Workshop Manual).
Verify that the timing chain tensioner pin has been removed.
If the above diagnostics does not eliminate the noise while the cylinders are cancelled, and the engine was built prior to 11/1/2002, replace the left side cylinder head and cam assembly with Part Number 3R2Z-6049-GA. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 303-01C for cylinder head replacement procedures.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
3R2Z-6049-GA Cylinder Head And Cam Assembly - Left - Cobra Only

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
INFORMATION ONLY

I'll be calling my dealer in the morning.

SStupid

Established Member
Tick

Do you have the tick, Sly? I would like to hear a car with it, so I'll know what it sounds like. I'm tempted to take it in, just in case.

03SLOBRA

Trollin aint easy
Established Member
So what about the Cobra's made after 11/1/02?? Are they not ticking??
Did Ford change the left heads after 11/1/02 to fix this problem??

Killer Cobra

Established Member
My sticker say 12/03 in the door jam. How do I know when the motor was built? I think I hear a little clank when it's cold but goes away when she's warmed up. This just sucks! New car with 15 problems right out of the factory. It's CRAZY!!

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Re: Tick

Originally posted by SStupid
Do you have the tick, Sly? I would like to hear a car with it, so I'll know what it sounds like. I'm tempted to take it in, just in case.

Yes I have the tick. Dave has the tick. Kurt has the tick. We can oblige you to hear it and I can tell you if you have it.

e-mail me at [email protected] or PM me here and we'll set up something. This weekend everyone will be in Ennis so it might have to wait until later.

03ODHC THANK YOU!!! :-D

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by 03BlackCoupe
Where do you look to see when your engine was made?

When did you buy your car? Usually, not in all cases, but usually it's pretty close if you bought it new when they were moving quickly.

I bought mine September 2 and it was built just at the end of August.

Look in the driver's door jam and I believe you will find a month / year. That should tell you if you're close enough to have someone pull your VIN and find out the exact date.

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
I just got mine last month. April 12th so mine was probably built after 11/1/2002 but I will still check and see.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I always use the date in the lower right corner of the window (Mulroney) sticker as the build date...

Last edited:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Turns out I don't have the tick, it's just injector noise, it comes and goes.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by Black2003Cobra
This was already posted yesterday in Jim's thread, about halfway down on p. 3.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=21801&perpage=25&pagenumber=3

Yes. Halfway down on page 3. I thought for many of us this was important enough to warrant it's own thread with a better topic. Actually I'd like it to be sticky.

I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes. I just wanted others who are in my boat to be informed. This is the most important TSB that will likely ever come out for this car.

Sorry for the repost. :)

BOOOOST

Established Member
Originally posted by 03BlackCoupe
Where do you look to see when your engine was made?

It's on the driver's side valve cover on the lower part of it close to the dipstick. It will be the last group of #'s. in the XX/XX/XX format.

Vehicle build date is not the same as engine build date, so the sticker in the driver's side door is not accurate.

OverToad

Established Member
Yes I have the tick. Dave has the tick. Kurt has the tick.
This is incorrect. You have the tick. I have the tick. Dave just has ticks :p

SStupid, while I can't swear to it, I do believe mine is getting a tad worse. It's difficult to isolate reality from fear-induced paranoia, but since we've now got a true TSB out on this, I think it's going to be rearing it's ugly head as a big problem over this next year.
Now don't just take your car in hoping that it's ticking and that they'll diagnose it. Verify that you have it, and be 100% sure of it before you have to go shoving around a service rep. With the way Ford is right now, you may very well have to physically force someone to drop down and listen to the car. You need to be able to produce the problem right in front of their eyes, or they'll lable you as "crying wolf" leading to tougher times in the future.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Exactly right Toadie!! On all counts. LOL

As I say SStupid.... you might call me one of the tick diagnosis experts in Austin, LMAO. I can definitely tell you if you have it.

coleman

Established Member
who in the DFW area can tell what this *tick* sounds like?
i just don't have an ear for such things, but i've been told that i have it.

can someone tell me for sure whether or not i have it?

03&68cobras

Established Member
Damn,

I didn't think I had the tick, because all sounds well under the hood. But after fully reading the TSB, I went out and listened near the LF wheel and I heard a ticking sound. I bought mine 6-16-02 ( first one in Austin). Anyone had luck having the tick repaired with mods in place?

Edit: Engine assembled 5/23/02

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread