the winter build: 408/T56 swap

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
decided to ditch the stock longblock/boost set up after a couple blown head gaskets which ended my summer early. i wanted to build somthing that made a good amount of power, be very streetable (must also retain AC/power steering), and without using any form of power adder. so i decided i should build up a nice 408. i started shopping around getting quotes from alot of engine builders but while i was surfing the classifieds on corral.net i stumbled upon a used 408 with all the parts i was going to go with and only had 1100mi on it. that motor is now sitting in my garage! here are the specs:

408 Shortblock built by ohio crankshaft: seasoned Ford production block, 2 bolt mains, one piece rear main seal, It has 10.6:1 compression, runs on 93 octane pump gas
.030 over with Eagle 4340 forged crank,
Eagle 4340 H Beam rods,
JE/SRP flat top pistons,
ARP main bolts and a steel main girdle.
Trick Flow 225cc CNC high port heads, 70cc combustion chamber
Upgraded valve springs to match FTI camshaft
Camshaft: Custom grind by Flow Tech Induction 6500 rpm max and great driveability (Hydraulic Roller)
Lifters: Crane hydraulic roller link bar lifters
Canton 351W swap pan
Rocker Arms: Comp Cams Pro Magnum roller rocker arms
Pushrods: Trickflow from summit, one piece chromemoly
Intake: Edelbrock Super Victor for EFI
Fuel Rails: Edelbrock rails for above intake
Valve covers: FMS polished tall aluminum valve covers
Ford motorsports water pump
alternator/tensioner braket
starter, distributor, cap, wires etc.
Oil catch can
drop motor mounts

he said he changed the oil 6 times since it was built, as he was obsessive compulsive about new motor break in and clean oil. ive got most of the paperwork for the motor as well which was a must! i think i saved a ton going this route especially since it came with alot of extra necesary parts which begin to add up. all i need now are:

accufab 1 3/4 long tube headers
accufab 90mm TB
Intake elbow
Anderson powerpipe
alluminum radiator
flaming river solid steering shaft
Cobra R hood
Kurgan tune

going behind all this is a T56 with the correct bellhousing for a 302/351 i picked up brand new from a guy in ohio who bought it and never used it. i will be retaining the power steering and AC for even better street manners

more updates to come! :beer:

engine010wx3.jpg

engine012yp8.jpg

mg4850fh7.jpg

time to clean up this mess!
engine016qw2.jpg

zburncopyhv4.jpg

rotmpshi9.jpg

Last edited:

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
ive been waiting for parts to arrive so all i have done so far is clean up the engine bay a little. i would have loved to get serious with it and repaint/fill all the holes but its not my garage to make that much of a mess in.

well, most everything i needed has arrived, list as follows:

centerforce dual friction clutch/pressure plate
ford racing TOB/pilot bearing
MM solid steering shaft
clutch fork
water pump
energy suspension motor mounts

and then these monsters- accufab custom 1 3/4 long tube headers. took them about a month to build them, just came in today. they look pretty damn sweet but will need to be ceramic coated after i test fit them.

headers001rv8.jpg

Last edited:

95SC

Banned
Damn ,looks like you're building a beast.It's gonna be fun when you get it all done

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
got the motor in. trying gettin my accufab headers in but no luck, they were fighting me the whole way. i will just have the shop install them since i have to take it to one to get my trans crossmember fab'd up for the T56.

408pics021.jpg

408pics022.jpg

408pics029.jpg

408pics042.jpg

still need fuel system parts, TB, driveshaft, paint up the accessory brackets, and of course the transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread